Register now to get rid of these ads!

anybody done 4 on floor in 51 chevy w/216?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3x2rocket, Feb 16, 2008.

1. 3x2rocket

3x2rocket

A buddy of mine wants to swap his 3 on the tree for a 4spd on the floor. Car is 51' chevy deluxe. Do we need a different bellhousing or is there a tranny that will work well and enable better freeway speeds that will just bolt on?
    Only mods to the engine for now will be a 2x1 intake and split manifolds, other than that its bone stock. Increased performance is part of the desire of course but really he just wants to be able to maintain good speed on the freeway without breaking the ol' 216 with its oiling shortcomings, not to mention the stock linkage sure likes to get stuck alot.
    Thanks for any input/suggestions!

2. Kustm52

Kustm52

There's not a 4-spd that will connect to the closed driveline, unless you use the expensive Patrick's kit. And then that buys you nothing but another gear, 3 and 4 spds are 1:1 in high gear..(ok, there were some 4-spd overdrives in '80's pickups...) Your best bet is a five speed conversion, do a search on it here or google it, lots of info...

Brian

3. try www.chevytalk.org all info you need is on that site. you will need 55'+ 235 car bellhousing and different rearend that has open driveline. that 4 speed will probably make that 216 go away kinda quick so better find a backup.

4. 3x2rocket

3x2rocket

Thanks fellas, 55dude and Kustom, that's what I was afraid I'd hear. Been trying to convince him to get a 235-292 to replace it because the way he drives(80-90mph long freeway trips) its on borrowed time. And of course I'm going to end up helping when he breaks it, I expect that knock on my door any day now.

I'm going to try and convince him the bigger better six(at least one that oils!) with 5spd is the only way.

5. gerrald meacham

gerrald meacham

use a bellhousing out of early 6 cyl chevy trk , rear end from 55 chevy re drill center bolts in saddle or springs make drive shaft or use 55 chevy one or nova or ----- and ride. ive done it engine wont stand much rough treatment

6. str8 6 str8 edge

str8 6 str8 edge
    from Tampa

Go with a T-5 out of an s-10. You will need a 216/235 truck bell housing. Someone is now selling a bolt-in cross member, I think it's to swap to an auto but it could also work for the T-5. Making your own is not too difficult though. You will need to go open drive. Tri-five chevy rears are the right width, but the junk yard and a tape measure will give you other options. I've done this swap several times and it will change your life. 70mph at 2300rpm. If you have any questions check out stovebolt.com or inliners.org.