Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody do sandblasting (or media blasting) at home?? Worth the hassle???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by batt69nova, Mar 20, 2012.

1. snelson57

snelson57

There is a place here in Milwaukee area called U-Spray. They have the equipment and the shop, you rent shop time and provide the labor.

Never used it but seems like a good concept.

I have a small siphon pot and homemade cabinet for small parts. Works OK.

2. Not worth it in my opinion...had the pressure pot and big compressor, but sand everywhere, and it really pisses off the neighbors..I only use the cabinet now, the big stuff gets farmed out, and body parts go to the chemical stripper, no warping and gritty surprises.

3. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

I guess I'm lucky. I live right between two guys that do media blasting, and they both do a really good job for a reasonable price. One is about 3 miles away, the other is about 6 miles in the opposite direction. Back before I learned of these guys I spent 4 days hauling a big screw compressor, a blasting rig, sand, etc., blasting my project, hauling every thing back to the rental yard, sprayed a coat of epoxy primer. Then spent two more days trying to clean up the mess. I had grit in places on my body that no one should even know about.
    I saved $37.00
    I won't never pick up a blasting nozzle again. Not as long as I live.

4. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I do all my own sandblasting,Neighbors never complained ,,,,I only do it once and a while,It doesnt cost that much 12 a bag .000 ...I dont recycle it ,I just blow it in the yard ,,,,,,,,Only takes about 4 bags for a frame,Without recycling it......

5. KMINAF

KMINAF
    from Utah

I recently bought an HF 150lb sand blaster and it works great. I wouldn't use it on any large projects but for medium sized things its ok. Use it outside, on a tarp and if possible box the area in to save the media (I used a couple of long folding tables tipped on their side) If using play sand ALWAYS wear a good respirator!