Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody dealing with physical ailments delaying your project?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by terd ferguson, Jan 8, 2010.

1. 19Fordy

19Fordy

What are SAS brand shoes and where do you buy them?

2. davis574ord

davis574ord

Have to have left foot amputated from a work injury seven years ago was scheduled to have it done dec. 3rd 09 but had a fuckin stroke day after thanksgiving which has fucked everything up cant use my left hand very well cant walk which means i cant stand for very long at all. Get frustrated very easy, pain pills and weed help but not enough only 42 years old so this has really fucked me up! Could be alot worse though, look at the poor bastards defending our country, god bless them, at least i still have my mind, somewhat, and a shop full of tools and a bunch of projects todo when i get better, that keeps me goin, havent been to a swap meet in 6 years that sucks! Cant wait till ican walk again!

3. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Sounds like you don't really need or belong in this thread then. When you've experienced long term physical pain and suffereing, sometimes it's nice to be able to bitch about it to people who understand what you're going through. That's why I started this thread. The guys posting in it know exactly what I'm talking about. It's not just physical, but emotionally hard to deal with these kinds of serious long term problems. No offense, but count your lucky stars. You could have it a lot worse. Ask how many here are having to deal with not being able to work and trying to scrape by on Social Security Disability. Then ask how many of those people would love to be healthy and have their own business even if it's "down". You don't know how lucky you are!

This ain't a pity party thread, it's motivational.

4. Dirtroad

Dirtroad
    Member Emeritus

Great Tread, Terd
    Sometimes we just need to vent. :D

5. Got problems with my heart so they gives me meds to keep me from dieing, but the side effects of the meds is depression which somedays makes me want to shoot myself, so what you gonna do but try an keep at it. Oh an by the way, we finally have a beautiful weekend an I get a pinched nerve in my back, go figure.

6. I have Diabetic Neuropathy in both feet, ankles and some in my hands. That's severe nerve damage. Not good when you're a pinstriper. So far though I can still lay 'em down only not as fast as I did before.

I look at others' ailments and realize I'm not that bad, but still that doesn't help the pain.

I control my diabetes with meds and diet but since the nerve damage is advanced nothing will ever stop the nerve pain. The seizure meds I take only mask the pain and I feel like I'm drunk all the time but without the fun drinking. Amputations may come one day. Docs have had me everything but narcs. Nothing works. Oh well, as long as I'm 6' above, I'll keep on strokin.'

Got a new project now. I may have to do it riding my handicap scooter, but it will get done.

Ya'll hang in there.

Mikey
    www.mikeyspinstriping.com
    "Living a Strange Existence"

7. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>>,In '99 my wife of 25 years was diagnosed with lung cancer,, she went thru 6 years of chemo n radiation ,,in 2001 i suffered three compressed vertebrea in my lower back ,,she helped me thru the first year ,,meds took over from there so i could take care of her ,,she passed away a couple years ago ,,so i deal with it on my own now ,,with the meds ,i can werk on my T Coupe ,,but its hard sum days ,,i just have to be carefull what i do ,,if i get down to do something ,i have to be sure theres sumething i can use to help me get back up ,,it just takes a little thought ,,,sumdays are better than others ,,

8. allyoop

allyoop
    from Michigan

Arthritis in my back and elsewhere slows me down some but I had nerves burned in my lower back seems to have helped. I'm hoping my 53 will be easier to work on than these FWD pain in the asses I've been playing with.

9. twotoejoe

twotoejoe

Mikey, there are some narcotics that work very well on diabetic neuropathy pain. I've been on one for over 10 years, along with the anit-seizure meds plus cymbalta and lyrica. I know what you mean about the 'foggy' or 'drunk' feeling!

10. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

gall bladder just got deleted...shaved....removed...whatever you wanna call it....due to impact near Fallujah in '04. Chronic stress fractures in both tibias and fibulas from a bad airborne operation, right shoulder issues....from a bad airborne operation, tbi.....from....take a guess....bad airborne op...and unkown mental condition from Iraq.....the army has been good to me! Airborne All The Way.....yeah....right

11. ScottV

ScottV

I don't know if this counts, I physically don't have any money and I am a bit talent impared !!! :p

12. bobjob55

bobjob55

just a little update on my condition ,,, had my left kidney removed ,,30% on remaining one,,and getting steroid shots in my spine .... NOW i can walk again ,, my meds make me feel like im smoking pot again... i may be able to get out and work on my toys soon .. my knee doctor says that i'm permanently disabled ,, so i have finally started to apply for disability .... have 2 other doctors who say that i can't work also ..things are starting to look a little better ...

13. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

I have Brokeapocketeyediss. Terrible affliction to have.

14. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Get an attorney to help you apply for disability.

15. bamabucket

bamabucket

Have made it to age 66, am planning to go at least another 20. So far - both hips replaced, glaucoma in both eyes, ringing in ears, arthritis all over, right knee screwed up, hernia, prostate cancer, asthma, sleep apnea. Except for the asthma, ears ringing, and sleep apnea, the other stuff has been successfully repaired with surgery. I feel lucky that; it all happened after I retired so I didn't have a problem with time off work, I have very good medical insurance, it hasn't been worse, and I can still work on my cars and drive them.

Anytime I feel sorry for myself I think of how much worse things could be and the posts in this thread show that. Also, I feel lucky to live in a time when medicine has advanced to the point that many ailments can be successfully treated.

My heart goes out to you who have it much worse than I do and I wish you luck in your battle with your medical problems.

16. oj

oj

I feel for you guys, i really do. I'm 60 now and with the exception of being blind in one eye i am in great shape - go to the gym, jog a couple miles a day kinda shape. Guess i'm waiting for obamacare to kick in before i fall apart, nice to know that somebody will care for me.

17. lakesmod

lakesmod

Parkinson's,I weld and use a cutting torch at work and at home on my project. When the tremor gets to bad I stop until I calm down.

18. bobjob55

bobjob55

i know quite a few people that applied without one ,,, and spent 2 years trying to get benefits ... i started with a attorney ... I figured that 25% of my back pay for one is still WAY better than 2 years of fighting the system .. and even on the SS. site they warn that without one ,,, you WILL be denied the first time ...

19. twotoejoe

twotoejoe

I filed without one and was approved within 6 weeks on the first try. It's all in how you answer the questions and the documentation you send to them. And it helps if you are truly disabled. They get so many applications from folks that have 'pricked their fingers' and little stuff that are trying to get on the gubment dole, if you know what I mean.

20. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Here, there is a maximum fee that attorneys are allowed to charge for helping with applying for SS. It usually turns out to be waaaaay less than 25%. Not sure if this is nation wide or just my state.

You are definately very lucky. I know several people with diseases on the Social Security approved disabilities list who are proper fucked that got strung on for two years plus. If you are under 50 and applying for disability, get ready for a wait, even with an attorney.

21. TDCENG

TDCENG

Just started driving a purchased 32 coup that failed me and put me in the hospital for 20 days. Real lucky fractured lower and upper spine . Have clam type body cast and neck brace for the next few months. The prognosis is for a full recovery . This summer is a loss. Have 32 coup almost ready for paint and purchased a 32 roadster glass body for the next project.can not wait to get the neck brace off and start doing some shop work. Moral of the story always check out the safety of anything you purchase .

22. yeppers, took me 4yrs, but the back pay was great.
    BUT I will have to say a lot has to do w/how bad you are.
    My wife was approved in 3monthes but won't get beneifts till Aug. w/no back pay.
    But a friend that got it in 6weeks & had a check w/in a month, but then he's so bad that I am amazed he's still walking.
    Hell he even made the joke that he was just to stupid to lay down & die :eek: :rolleyes:

23. Brahm

Brahm

I had no issues getting my disability back when I broke my leg a couple years ago...but with that said. Of my many self inflicted injuries, the only ones that get in the way of working on cars is I needed to very careful of the angle the I wrench on stuff anything over head I risk dislocating my shoulder so lying on under the car to work on stuff or doing wiring upside down under the dash can get a bit weird when I get I caught up on the roll cage. I've also popped it out just reaching over to lock the passenger side locks, and the other issue is I broke my back..while most of the time it isn't an issue. I've had spasm on me when lifting a car hood which floored me, and I typically if I'm working on a car for a long time I'll find myself leaning a lot.

Ah well, what can I say it's all self inflicted.. skateboarding no matter how much I love her.. she just keeps treating me bad

24. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

If working 75 hrs a week,including weekends,and being beat all the time,not know the date or what day it is qualifies, then sign me up.

25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It might be a California thing. I had no trouble as well, a few years ago when I had a little "incident" involving a dry lake, me, and exiting the ride (way) before it came to a complete stop.

The doctor's office had the forms, filled them out, and that was that. It took about two weeks for the first check to show up.

26. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I've had Sarcoidosis in my lungs and eyes, took large doses prednesone, that gave me osteoperosis. The Sarcoidosis caused an inflamation in the artery between the lungs and the heart.... Heart attack! No permanent damage (Thank-you LORD!). Sarcoidosis ruined lower third of both lungs! I have a cyst on one of my kidneys the size of a softball (when I have to go, I have to go now!). Arthritus in the joints on my right side, construction jobs for 27 years ruined those joints. Fibromyalga in my arms and shoulders can be a pain. Esphogitis, my stomach is growing into my Esophogus... have to have an endoscopy every couple of years to watch for cancer cells!
    Carpaltunnel in my right hand causes "trigger finger" fingers lock.
    Other than that I'm fine..... for 56 LOL
    Whata ya gonna do, Ya know!

27. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

Have 6 ruptured disc in my back, 2 fractured vertibre, having a stress test on my heart tomorrow, have brain damage from my ATV wreck, so I just pic my good days....Jim

28. Commish

Commish
    from NW Ok

I applied for SSDI at age 39 without using an attorney. Mine went through in 4 months without a hitch. Previous poster is right about having all your records in order and dot all the I's and cross all the T's on the paperwork.

29. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

well I broke my toe a couple of weeks ago, big toe, with my insurance deductible raised to 2000 dollars, I had to set it myself, so I'm dealing with that and having to walk everywhere, because the DD is tore up. I'm out there tonight working on the oil pan, and having to move furniture around the house, which sucks.

30. 29SX276

29SX276

Holy crap you guys ! Some of the ailments you fellows suffer with and still play on the cars is down right amazing.Makes my condition truly trifling;vertigo like effects from a brain tumour and pains from bad hips and back.
    My hat's off to you all for showing so much courage and determination !