Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody dealing with physical ailments delaying your project?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by terd ferguson, Jan 8, 2010.

1. 306HO5

306HO5
    from AZ

im 41 and it sucks not being able to work on my 70 roadrunner much less work out.got stage 4 melonona of the brain in 09.3 sugerys later including one right before xmas along with some radiation,gammaknife,and leukine treatments here i am.ive always weight lifted,ran,and mtn biked so until a year ago i was way healthy.doctors believe thats why i bounce back so quick.thanks go out to the docs at barrows in phx,ironwood cancer research,and u of a cancer center that keep me kickin.

2. I appreciate this thread, y'all are an inspiration! Have had stage 3 cancer and the resultant after effects of the chemo and radiation and cancer include arthritis, three missing discs in the lower back and a hip replacement with another sugery due. Some days it feels like the car will never get done because of the pain and mobility issues but here on the HAMB there is always inspiration to drag out to the garage and do something. And even the littlest thing toward completion is the greatest feeling in the world!!, keeps yah going. Thanks to everyone on the HAMB for inspiration and advice!!!!!!

3. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

After reading about all the ailments others have my back pain and reoccuring kidney stones are not worth complaining about,some of you have it way worse then me and I dont know what to say other then keep up the fight and keep on doing what you like and dont let it get you down.

4. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

30 y/o with a bad back, and shoveling the snow only throws it out more. Bad knees, asthma, mad allergies, and IBS. The winter is always the worst, but you know....something about being in wretched pain while working on the car makes me feel superhuman. It's mind over matter. I've made up my mind and I'm not going to let that pain f**king matter.

5. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

6. beanis

beanis

7. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

I've been on Metoprolol and Coumadin along with all the rest of the drugs

(not the good kind)

that come with heart problems for four years now,

It fuckin drains me !

On top of that bad back problems and some lung issues its hard to get any good time

in the garage.

So I take it REAL SLOW and just do what I can and enjoy it that much more and when ever I can ...

I'm thankful for all that I have and what I CAN DO,

Compared with a lot of folks and their problems I'm good!

8. monsterflake

monsterflake

my injury brought it to a complete halt, but i'm still here and still hanging out with my car buddies...

9. slamdpup

slamdpup

i got shot in the head ,while i was repoing a car back in june of 07 ..at first i was eager to get back in the garage ..then really wasnt intrested at all then i gave a a old rusty 39 chevy to my buddy and started helpin him chop the car which got me hyped up again..and then got back to hamb and hot rod magazines ..cant drive my cars anymore but ive always liked building cars rather than driving them anyway..(good thing huh)..i guess is in my blood and not a hobby ...its been 2 1/2 years and still cant walk but i can stand up ..just have to take alot of breaks ..good luck to ya

10. maniac

maniac

GEEZ, I had no idea there were that many here with health problems.

A triple by pass in 2001 for my 50th birthday, then type 2 diabetes sneaked in , and then carotid artery surgery in 2004 and then aeortic valve replacement in 2006,

Other than that and the portable drugstore I carry around, and the normal aches and pains of someone my age, I'm in pretty good shape

11. davedeltadog

davedeltadog

Hi Guys
    Sad to hear about everyones problems. We all suffer from time to time and just do the best we can. Positive attitude is the key to the situation. I'm a little over 60 and just came in after an hour in the garage with the temp at 17 degrees.
    Every new day we get is a free one. I should have cashed out a long time ago.
    Remember old suicide door cars? They got that name for a reason. At two years old I pulled a rear door handle and was thrown from the drivers side of our car. I bounced between two oncoming cars and rolled in the ditch unharmed. At nineteen in Vietnam I was shot five times and still carry a bullit in one leg and the chest. I am dissabled from the experience along with some other dumb things I've done to myself. All I'm trying to say is there is no promise that we will see a new tomorrow, so make the best of today.
    Hang in there and take care, Dave :)

12. I've got a physical ailment hampering my build........its so damn cold outside that it hurts real bad whenever I am not in the house drinking hot coffee.As I get older,the cold seems colder. Dang, I'm a freakin poet......

13. Theo:HotRodGod

Theo:HotRodGod

Thanks!!! For a second I felt better!

14. Messed up my ribcage beyond repair then when I was almost to a resonable point fell on the ice. Had to sleep sitting up for a couple of weeks. Never healed properly and am still a mess inside 15 or so years later bUT when I am working on my cars or engines or my fiddles (violins) I seem to forget it. Sitting is the worst for me.
    Don

15. RichG

RichG

Coumadin, Heparin, all those drugs suck! I finally got off Heparin in February, talk about a relief! If you can function with that drug in your system you can do anything!

For you "readin'" types :)p), go find the book by John Callahan, "Don't worry, he won't get far on foot"....if you can't afford the book, IM me and I'll loan you my copy. I guarantee that you won't feel sorry for yourself after reading his story!

[​IMG]

16. George G

George G

I was in a huge t bone accident. Me on the receiving end (broken plevis in 3 places) I hate when that happens. Put me off our A V8 Roadster for a while but we got her on the road after recovery.

17. bobjob55

bobjob55

I got laid off 2 years ago , couldn't keep up with younger mechanics at tractor shop.. i'm 56 now and 1/2 my cartilage in my right knee is missing making it hard to work ..pain gets unbearable after 2-3 hours of work.. carpel tunnel in hands,, surgery in left.. found out i was diabetic,, still having surgery to remove a kidney stone the size of a marble..
    almost gave-up working on my project..
    that's why i started playing on computer..thank god i'm not alone.. gave me a new want to finish my toys...

Attached Files:

18. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

you mean like this :confused:
    yup, yfz450 + excess M.P.H. + tree, and no helmet = month of may in ICU, and I was lucky !!

Attached Files:

19. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Watch Jerry Springer..Trust me,it helped me..I'm also diagnosed as bi polar and depressive. I only listed physical injuries,but as far as medical conditions go:Bi polar,bouts of depression,ADHD,acute insomnia,tourettes(motor tic that cause me to jerk my neck,but only happens when I get really angry,hyper,or sleep deprived),PTSD,rages,tremors(The shakes) and OCD. The good news is I learned how to cope with most of them,and without medication at that.

20. The trick is to remember the pain goes away under severe acceleration or over 80 MPH.
    Don

21. Nursing ANOTHER hernia, mild carpel tunnel, and back and neck that usually cooperate but hurt for a few days after the garage session.

I'm not 20 anymore, but soon to be only 38. Wonder how long I can keep up the hobby before it afffects my livelihood too much.

22. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Avascular necrosis (also called osteonecrosis, aseptic necrosis, or ischemic bone necrosis) is a disease that results from the temporary or permanent loss of blood supply to the bone. When blood supply is cut off, the bone tissue dies and the bone collapses. If avascular necrosis occurs near a joint, collapse of the joint surface may occur.

That was the right leg/knee last year had surgery and 17 weeks off work..now it's started in the left leg/knee joint so i know where im headed this year............

slows me down quite a bit kneeling and getting under a car is a slow process...........................just have to do one job at a time.

Keith

23. twotoejoe

twotoejoe

Wow, a lot of you guys are dealing with some tough shit and I feel for you! Hang in there and be thankful for every day. I know of your love for these old cars, but just remember that in the long run they are just pieces of old steel.

I'm 55, had 4 back surgeries, 2 of which caused foot drop which now I have to have braces in my shoes and a cane just to walk. Type II diabetic for almost 30 years and am now dealing with the complications. I have severe diabetic neuropathy; both my feet are completely numb but they sting and burn and freeze all the time. Sometimes the pain is terrible. It takes several meds, including oxycotin just to calm it down. I had quadruple bypass heart surgery about 4 years ago and have lost all the toes on my right foot due to my diabetes. I just found out a few months ago that I'm in kidney failure. BUT, I can always find someone who is a lot worse off than I am!

With help from friends, I finished up my last project last spring. Now it is sitting in the shop; I haven't driven it since back in September. I've just about lost interest. It's needs the oil changed in it and some good gas put in it, but I can't get under a car due to a busted knee that I fell on a few years ago. I guess we just hang it there.

24. sixpac

sixpac
    from Courtenay

Lot of good guys here. I have my left leg a foot drop. Siatic nerve . Elbow pain too many years swinging hammer. I feel lucky reading a lot of these stories. Good thread for sure.

25. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

I've started a few times to comment but then I read some more of the posts and think.. man.. I'm in good health. Some of you guys amazed me when I've looked at your posts of work you have done. NOW that I read how "broken" many of you are I am in even more awe.
    My heart is out of time a lot. Beats 2 - 3 beats normally, then 1 beat it stutters and then stops to reset by skipping a beat. When I'm that bad I feel like a 200lb weight is around my neck (and I only weight 170). I used to think I was just lazy but the heart issue explains a lot.
    Had back surgery to fix a damaged disc and allow me to walk, sit, lay down and sleep again.
    I was invincible once, or so I thought. Big guy in a little guy's body syndrome.
    At 41 I had mono so bad that heart, lungs, kidneys and spleen were shutting down. I'm a case study for the new docs and nurses now because I lived. I was REALLY angry with the 3 docs working on me to revive me. It was SO peaceful when I was slipping away.
    I learned a long time ago that your pain is your pain (be it physical or mental). If it hurts you then it is real and bad.
    Wife is bi-polar (or manic/depressive, if you like) so I have experience there too.
    I've been saying for years that's it's hard being human. I used to joke. I don't joke about it anymore.
    Good luck folks.

26. 36C8

36C8

It's like the old joke, "Life is full of pain, heartbreak, disappointment, and it's so short".
    I'm 49, and I have an elbow that acts up, and a knee that prevents me from running regularly, and that's about it. After this thread, I'll never gripe about them again. Thanks for the inspiration.

27. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I'm physically unable to take the cold...

28. michiganman061

michiganman061
    from Michigan

Well, I didn't think I'd share, but I will. It still hurts me to let others know that
    I'm not 'normal'.

My long journey started years ago. I was in College and at age 19 I came down with bacterial meningitis. After several months in the hospital, I was released. At the time I wish I would of been left to die. The bacteria at fault was resistant to most common drugs, and after by body reacted to the IV given vancomycin, I was put on several semi-experimental drugs by doctors.

Unfortunately, it left me with severe loss of hearing, neurological problems, and a boatload of other problems including muscle and joint problems. Although its been years ago, long term problems still continue to plague me. And now a recent setback has been severe arthritis has started to plague me at a relatively young age. The loss of hearing and mixed bag of physical problems account for my sometimes erratic awkward social interactions.

At the time I got sick, I was not into cars that deeply, although I owned a 54 Studebaker. Well, that interest blossomed and gave me something to focus on and dream toward to drag myself through and toward another day.

Now these days, I've accumulated too many projects and due to some setbacks am struggling to just finish the ones I have half done. However, it pains me not getting the thrill out of chasing some other project, and realizing I can only do so much.

I never thought I'd share, but in a way it feels good. I know theres more out there worse off then me, and I feel fortunate that by grace go I.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  29. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

I've got my own issues with my kidneys and energy. But for those taking Vicodin and other hard pain killers, I watched my dad take Vicodin until it killed him. He could not get enough. He took from my mom, sister, wherever he could find more. He even signed a waiver with the HMO and they still wrote scripts for him. My sister has been to rehab 3 times and has relapsed -- still addicted. I fear that she is next. If you can get a long without them, don't take them. They can present an even bigger problem.

30. Alfster

Alfster

I suffer at times from Arthritus. Completely cripples me. Sometimes for a week or more. Then it will come right for a while.