Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody dealing with physical ailments delaying your project?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by terd ferguson, Jan 8, 2010.

1. RichG

RichG

We're in the same boat partner, I'm 40 and just got disability this last summer. I definitely feel the same way, I want to work, have the desire, but there's nothing I can do, short of Lazy boy recliner showroom model :p A supportive woman is something that can't be replaced for sure!

The femoral artery to my left leg is effectively blocked, low blood flow...so any real exertion and I'm in pain for hours. The HAMB has been a godsend, I'd of gone nuts sitting all the time if it weren't for this place!

As for you Terd, have you tried Gabapentin? It's a nerve blocker, works pretty well for me, keeps me mobile enough to get around for the most part...doesn't screw me up like the Oxy and Fentynol did! Check with your doc and good luck bubba :D

2. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

" have you tried Gabapentin? It's a nerve blocker"
    that's what I take for the diabetic nueropothy in my legs. it helps me too especially at night when trying to sleep. best of all it doesn't cloud your thinking like most other types of pain relief.

3. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

crones disease, just had 1 surgury 6 months ago, and probably another soon

4. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

The docs have had me on different kinds of morphine (Avinza and MSIR) for the last five years but I hardly take them. They really don't help all that much and long term use is really bad for you. And this is a long term disease. They wanted to try Oxy, but i told them no thanks. The only thing that's ever really made a difference with the pain is a certain natural medicine. Wish NC was like CA.

I also want to say I've talked to a bunch of people through PMs about my situation and theirs. I appreciate all the kind words and advice. And I'll say a prayer for all of us to feel better. Thanks everybody!

5. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

terd
    thanks for the post. what i have got out of this is we are all broke somewhere and all need this hamb to heal. and the funniest part is when we get to kung fu keyboarding,there's not many of us can raise our leg to kick the crap out of nobidy..haaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaa...ouch that hurt!!

6. G'day all, My dad is 73 years old and has ms. If he didn't have cars to work on I think he would give up and die. The days that he gets down to the shop and works on stuff are his "good" days. He loves when my friends and I go up to visit and help him at the shop. My younger friends think it is quite awesome the way he can kick our butts getting work done. He still welds and paints and is slowly putting his last two projects together.

As for me, I will be 54 in two weeks and am diebetic, have high blood pressure, and have had several surguries to piece me back together. I have steel rods and titanium screws holding my back together and have had bones fused in my right wrist. It is tough to make it through the days balancing all the damn meds.

I also had a couple of biopsies done a couple of weeks ago and they came back good. Quite a relief. Now for the really bad part. I have a couple of food allergies. I am alergic to ethanol alcohol and chocolate. Now that really sucks.

But life ain't all bad. I have a great wife who has stood by me through all the issues and some really great friends who are not at all shy about making sure that I don't over do things. They help me with my projects and won't let me do anything stupid.

Since I first found the Hamb I have found it to be a great therapy source on the days when I am unable to do any work on the projects. It helps to have a bunch of great people who are supportive.

ms

7. shoveled71

shoveled71

Gettin old sucks, my heart attaked me at 48 and had a triple bypass, came out good but two years later they found a aortic anurism and had to open my chest again to repair that and put a artificial valve in, ended up with only about 30% of my heart function, short of breath and tired feeling all the time, retired and on disability but manage to keep two old Harleys and my 56 Ford p/u on the road. Spike

8. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

Not to be political but how many of you guys are nervouse about the "obama care" that it looks like is coming our way? I have health insurance now, and the copays for visits and medications are staggering( enough to claim on taxes). Hopefully service doesn't go down.. THIS IS NOT A POLITICAL DIG!

9. Got a screwed up left shoulder, can't lift, push, pull, move or carry anything over 20lbs...had a kid run across in front of my train & I jammed the emergency brake on & something in there popped...that was Sept 12th '09 & I have been under treatment since....

They just upped my drugs to Vicodin.... :(

10. garyv

garyv

Mental disorders can be as debilitating as physical ones (which they, in fact, are) and no more under the individual's control. Unfortunately many people don't see it that way.

11. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

There was a time not long ago when it seemed it just wasn't gonna' work. Lots of stuff happening with my body.. On the way to work..I'd pass..for years..a guy walking to a bus stop.

Sort of outside of town a bit..I'd see him everyday..work uniform..small lunch pail..sort of old style. I didn't notice when he wasn't there after awhile..but then..maybe a month or two later..

I'd see him walking along the shoulder..heading for the bus stop..pail in his right hand as usual..but held high above his waist. He had a stumbling gait..still in that gray old style mechanics uniform.

It was obivous he had a stroke.

I'd see him every day...while I was groaning about the shit going on with me..
    It occurred to me..dam that guy is tough..or just don't care..or..?? He was smiling...

If that stumbling..tough dude..can make it....so can I..so can we..

We're all in this together..just plug along as best you can..and smile as much as you can on the way to the bus....

12. oldtime

oldtime

I'm 66, when I was three got polio. I have used two full length leg braces and a crutch for my whole life. Built cars, raised hell, then the post polio showed up. Suddenly, I couldn't get up and down off the floor, so my '40 went on ice, for six years. After much thought figured out a device to help me up and down. I now have it about half freshened up, work kinda slow, but getting it done. I have found that the planning saves a lot of time and moves when you have to work slow.

Old Time

13. duste01

duste01

I have Parkinsons like my Dad did, and his Dad did. I shke alot and cant type very well. Couldnt stripe to save my life. I just dont think about it really, its just part of the game. I like a good challenge anyway.

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup. Everybody has written me off as crazy. No insurance (can't get it). No care (make too much money for "programs"). I cope as best I can. I could be way better, but that would not make anybody money (except maybe me). Best to just stay away.

15. Commish

Commish
    from NW Ok

Terd, Have been lurking here reading for quite a while and reading your post decided to register. I have AS also, a rather severe case. It hit me at 19, and finally got diagnosed at 30, had to take total disability at 39. I am 59 now. I am fused solid from the waist to the top of my neck, no movement in them at all. You have to keep moving and fighting it, do the stretches and keep them joints from locking up. I have had more relief from a hot tub then anything I ever tried. I don't have near the pain I used to since all the inflamation left, so that part does get better.

I worked as a mechanic as a young man and alway loved the old hot rods. I have some old iron stashed back for future projects, if I can just get motivated. Reading this forum has kind of lit a spark in me again. Also have an interest in machining and have metal lathe, a mill driil and a welder and torch, and all my hand tools.

I have a running 409 in a 56 Chevy school bus, a 1958 Ranchero with a 390 out of a 62 Merc and a 4 speed that might me brought back to life with a lot of work. Also have a 51 Stude pickup with a 370 Pontiac and hydramatic that I put toghether as a kid, the motor is froze in it.
    Anyway all you guys with ailments keep up the fight and Good Luck
    Commish

16. customcory

customcory

I thought cancer would slow me down, but it really didn't, it kinda motivated me. I have a ostomy bag that have managed to burn holes thru with welding sparks, but I don't let it get me down because I HAVE MARIJUANA to get my mind back on positive things. Nothing else will do it. The HAMB helps keep me motivated just as good as well, as working in my secret garden. Thats what this squidbilly does, don't touch the trim.:D:D:D

17. beanis

beanis

Man o man, I've been reading the HAMB for several years now. Most threads turn into pissin' matchs between arrogant know-it-all twits. This thread however is nothing short of heartwarming. Your posts here are as uplifting and inspirational as anything I've seen in a long time. Godspeed to you all!

18. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

It's sad to see that with the number of people(myself included) that get some relief from a naturally growing plant that our goverment still deems it "illegal" those " pain pills"(oxy, percs etc) will make you useless mentally and dependent yet they are legal. Blows my mind

19. This thread just proves that no matter how bad you think you have it - Many others have it a lot worse. So even though I have plenty of health issues at almost 70 - think I will just thank God for what I have. Hope you all have a good day.

20. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Terd Ferguson:

I have psoriatic arthritis which is an autoimmune disease that effects your immune system and your whole body.

I had this so bad from 1999 through 2004 that I was not able to work or do much of anything without extreme pain in my whole body.

It was hard to even sleep because I hurt so much in all of my body joints.

Had two operations and many different doctors trying all kinds of different methods including an extreme diet that one doctor thought might work.
    In my case it did not work.

First you must find a good rheumatology doctor to figure just what you have and then they can start working on getting help.

In my case there was a brand new drug they were testing and I agreed to try it because I could just not go on living the way I was living at longer.

The drug was Enbrel and within two weeks of giving myself the injections I was back to work with no more pain or anything.

I have been where you are right now and no what it's like so suffer with pain 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

I no longer have to take any pain medication which I was on for years.

Please contact me if you have any questions.

The reason I talk to others with the same disease I had is simple.

There were many wonderful people who want out of their way to help me find a cure for what I had.

Hang in there. Jim Hill

21. customcory

customcory

I hate to say it, but you can thank God for the marijuana. It dosent cure everything, but it helps me to cope with my situation. This government has had a problem with weed since 1937, and the rules they made for it are racial mostly. The book " The Emporer Wears No Clothes" by Jack Herer will tell you all you want to know on why you can't have that medicine. Life is too short and unfair for a person to suffer when the cure can be growing in the backyard!:D Now thats all I am going to say about it , cant have the DEA or the revenuers in my back yard, that's a southern tradition.

22. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

I lugged beef for 8 years at a meat packing plant when I was in my 20's. I'm 62 now and I'm still getting over my last epasode of trying to walk upright. Bent down at the waist to pick up a bolt that was lying on the floor and it put me on my knees on the way up. Some day I'll learn to bend at the knees to pick shit up. More Motrin please !!!

23. I just got home last week out of the hospital w/my 25th surgery :eek: :rolleyes: but about half are from knee surgeries. Last year it was a 2nd fusion for both my lowwer back(3fused) & neck(C4-C7/8 fused) w/the doc saying 6months before I could touch anything in the garage each time. Last week it was a Colon Resection, they took a foot of my colon out because of a severe cause of diverticulitis that cause me to blow a hole in my colon 2 months ago & spend a week in the hospital then also. Thought I was going to die, actually the doc said I was in bad shape, 103*-104* for 4 days and came home w/a good case of scrambled brains for a week or two.
    My project has been on going for the past 15yrs, but between the wife & I it seems to always put on hold. Hell one of these days it'll roll out the garage on its own, but until then it can peacefully sleep on its jackstands in it's bedroom.

There's a guy on here that motivates me & that's Monsterflake.
    I met Steve about 4 years ago when he had asked for som alt. brackets. I show up at his house to give them to him & when he opens the door I see this guy in a wheelchair. I thought to myself "This guys has got to be nuts". Yes Steve is one crazy motherfucker but he doesnt let the fact he is wheelchair bound stop him from reaching out for his dreams. I went over to his house to help w/a clean up and move a bunch of parts and cars into his new gargage last year(I think it was last year) It had been about 3-4wks after I had my 2nd fusion in my neck. As I move small stuff around on a 2wheeler Steve asked me if I was sure I should be doing this. Here's a guy who is in a wheelchair & he's worried about ME, something was wrong w/this picture. To make a long story short Steve & myself talked about our health problems and both agreed on one thing & that was about being able to do what we can do, no matter how much or how little.
    Yes Steve(Monsterflake) you inspire me to keep plugging along no matter how bad it may get, because like we bothe said "It could be a hellva lot worse"...joe

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  24. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

the horse I love tried to kill me a few months back, things got wierd at full gallop, my attempt to grab his neck on way down ripped bicept tendon from forearm, hit the ground got trampled. [20 grand in surgery later] was on road to recovery until dropped a keg on foot, while working beer garden at october fest.

godspeed to all you guys feelin under the weather . sucks sometimes but you just have to keep pluggin away man !

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010

25. Hell I'm willing to help also if I can just let me know when & where & if I can make it I'll be there......

26. Tramadol before bed and Loratabs this morning, but I did make a bit of progress on the truck yesterday.

27. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

yes my wife has a mental illness, we have spent so much time in hospitals and at doctors, i can't even count, when we aren't there we are fighting medicaid and fighting to keep them, from trying to cut off her little disability check, they are trying to cut it off again because I got laid off, figure that, your income drops,you lose your job and the government wants to cut off her disabilty and medicaid because of it. she can't get one of her mental health drugs now, Medicaid just up and decided she was "taking it too long" and refuses to cover it anymore. we fought with them for weeks with her caseworkers, and they simply refuse to cover it anymore, I had bought a ten day supply, and even with a discount card, it was 48 dollars. Her medications cost about 1500 dollars a month, and they just want to cut it off, she has mental health issues, heart issues, blood pressure issues, etc. etc. I'll bet if i owned a bank they wouldn't cut it off, maby I could get a bailout to keep my private jet going? sorry for the rant, that really hit a nerve.

28. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

And here I am complaining about how my right shoulder hurts from arthritis after a few hours on a project. I better get my ass out there and quit whining. I try to keep motivated just by spending any time at all daily on a project. It may be 30 min. or a few hours but at least its progress.

29. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am 48 and when I was 18 I was in a serious car accident and fractured vertebreas and other bones and have been slowly slowing down on what I do due to back pain,then late last summer like a dumb ass I fell down the steps from the upstairs bed room real early in the morning going down to pee so that but the kabosh on alot of little projects that involve lifting heavy items. I was going to take the 3 speed out of my galaxie and put in a 4 speed along with removing a head to get a guide replaced but that did not happen and it took a couple months before I could ride the Harley again and my back still bothers me some,I am still doing some body work and paint on my F250 but since I can stand or sit its tollerable.

30. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

Sciatic pain gets in my way