Register now to get rid of these ads!

anybody cut up a 55 chevy 4 door & make it into a pick up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vandy, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Scumdog

Scumdog

No pics but there's been a few made here in New Zealand.

2. Wish I still had the photo. I saw a 55 olds that was turned into a stepside pickup. No idea what he used to create the back of the cab, but it looked good.

3. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Years ago I found the mostly stripped remains of a '55 Chevy in the Monrovia, CA Pick-A-Part (the old location before they moved down Peck Road). It had been a 2-door hardtop with what may have been the rear roof of an earlier Chevy pickup grafted on and '57 Lincoln tailfins and taillights added to the quarters. Front clip looked stock; don't remember how the bed was built but the tailgate was gone. It was light blue with a white roof that looked to be covered in that spray-on fake vinyl top stuff. Sound familiar to anyone from SoCal?

4. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

check this one out! Not a 55 Chevy but good for example. If you want the roof line to flow its best to not make the roof look like a pickup but a El camino.

Attached Files:

5. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

Here are some examples to see the differnt looks.:cool::cool:
    Some like them some don't!!

Attached Files:

6. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

VANDY::my dad did that with a lemans,was it baby blue?back in the late 70's
    MoparFinman the 4 dr on the end,got anymore pix?

7. johnboy13

johnboy13

That Villager would be cool to have.

Vandy, the bottom line is, it's your car. Do with it what you want. Keep in mind that it might be difficult to sell when the time comes. If the price is right on the four door, you might be better off fixing some little things and turning it for a profit.

8. greazy john

greazy john

just buy a truck, problem solved

9. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

heres a 55 Chevy.sorry I had to look for it.

Attached Files:

10. Smooth Customs

Smooth Customs

This is an FE Holden ute
    the latest photo you posted is of a Chevy conversion that is from Australia as well

11. Smooth Customs

Smooth Customs

Here is a 55 4 door that was converted to a pick up
    the story I was told, the builder unfortunatly passed away after doing the major part of the fabrication work. His father finished it off as a tribute to his son
    Another Australian build

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Joe Bailon did a similar conversion but on a two door in the 50's

12. Not totally on topic but here's my 53 Buick That I've recently dragged out of my Dads barn after a 25 year sleep.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

(Smooth Customs)Some of the pictures I posted I don't know where I got them. I really like the Utes and Conversions of cars in to pickups. So I collect pictures of them.I know that Chrysler make some in Australia and in Canada.
    The ones I have seen you can see where they were made from 4 doors even though Chrysler made them at a factory. I'm sure that you being from Australia you know and have seen alot more of them than myself. I have a 56 DeSoto 4 door that I plan on building this way.

14. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Now I will have to say this is pretty slick but 9 out of 10 wont turn out this nice plus a 4 door sedan will take a lot more fab work than any kind of wagon,not to mention the dip in the sedan quarter, or door on a 4 door.
    However the dip being left in it would give a diffrent look than these wagon conversions and in my opinion would have to look a lot better than a stepside bed:rolleyes: If you must do it.

Attached Files:

15. a pickup step side bed just dont look right on a car. Its like when ford continued to use a 57 thru 60 fleetside bed on the 61 thru 64 pickups. The lines didnt flow properly. Ok I have owned el caminos and rancheros. I got to ask the question? Just what are they good for? they arent a good truck with the car suspension wont haul any weight the weenie Car brakes wont stop a trailer. No room inside not a good passenger vehicle. Less weight on the rear not a good drag car. A truck is a truck and a car is a car. A elcamino or ranchero just dont do either job very well. Also the red 55 ford conversion pictures. I think that used to belong to Ernie Peter from Lampe Mo. He collected and sold crown vicks and other 50.s fords & parts. OldWolf

16. Sorry, just to correct you, we never had "utes" in Canada .... Had Mercury Trucks from Ford , Fargo trucks from Dodge and Meteor cars from Ford as well.

17. FoxSpeed

FoxSpeed
    from NorCal

That 57 is tits

18. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

Sorry Chris Stapley I'm thinking of the fact about Chrysler using left over parts to build cars there and naming them and dating them differntly. Like using DeSoto grilles & name plates on Plymouth bodys and such. I know that the internet has really opened information up to all the world that probley only few knew before hand.

19. No troubles, just like to see that no-one gets led astray on the HAMB,ha,ha.... Cheers. Love the Mopar on your avatar, just had two 1956 Custom Royals dropped in my driveway yesterday as a matter of fact!

20. zmcmil2121

zmcmil2121

That thing looks killer. Kinda like a Stude truck mixed with absolute beauty.

21. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

A car body turned into a truck cab accomplishes everything that is done to make old pickups look sleeker. Low hood lines and roof lines, low, long front clips and wheel openings, and short windsheild glass.

22. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

I saw a 56 truck made into a quad cab by taking another cab and having it face backwards. I didn't have a chance to take a pic, but it's local so chances are I'll see it again at some point.

I'd definitely drive that 57 or Villager.

23. BIG-BRO

BIG-BRO

Here's a '57 seen at Amherst, NH Flea Market last month.....check out the license plate...

Attached Files:

24. LabRat

LabRat

Myself , I think the bronze 55 looks good as a ute rather than the stepside .
    Its just the rear wheel arch that's amiss , the curve at the top needs to flatter and lower , similar to a Mainline ...

25. koolkemp

koolkemp

I would never cut up a salvageable one to do this to but this is nice! I even dig the paint color on it ,another great one Eli!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  26. koolkemp

koolkemp

I love the chopped 55 pontiac, anyone got any more pics of it?? Heres a couple of my somewhat off topic 48 Chevy X 4 door..I traded a tailgate for a 50 Dodge half ton for the whole car thats how good it was :eek: I had it on the road for about 2 grand and it was a shitload of fun...which is why I wanna build another someday !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

The real question though:

Anybody cut up a 55 Chevy 4 door and make it into a pickup truck GASSER? :D

28. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Marie Bailon (Joe Bailon's wife) 1955 Chevy...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  29. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Thanks Steve! With your talents something like this would be a no brainer. If I remember correctly, the Nomad fender panels are available so even a regular ho hum 4 door could be used for something like this. Makes me wish I still had the 55 150 I had years ago.

30. Vandy

Vandy
    from L.A. Ca

Here are some pics of the 55 4 door.

Attached Files: