Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anybody buy a car with E-Bay Motors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boeing Bomber, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Zombie57Ranchero

Zombie57Ranchero

I've bought several cars off eBay and never once have paid that way .. I usually call and talk to the seller and wire money to their bank account once everything it settled .. I've heard of these scams being done , be careful and be aware .. talk to them on the phone and make sure they aren't a prince from Nigeria

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

I bought a Harley Road King in 2007 off ebay, a 2000 Freightliner/Grumman step van in 2013 and a 57 Buick this summer. Paid with paypal and was covered with money back policy if the car, truck or the bike were not as advertised. All were fine. Ebay won't cover buyers remorse if you change your mind, but if the pictures were of some other car, or there was no car, or the mileage was off by thousands from what was advertised I would get my money refunded, whether they got theirs back from the seller or not. Seller pays 3% or something to paypal for using their system. It's like an insurance company, they lose some money on a few deals, but make good money on the rest.
    Advantage to the seller is that he gets to advertise worldwide and using paypal they know they will get paid for the car, not just a bad check. I'm always a little nervous about it, but it has worked fine for me. Call the seller and talk, ask specific questions and if they don't have answers or give you conflicting answers, bail out. You should be able to spot a phony. Don't send money by Western Union or some other instant transfer outfit. Bank transfer might be okay, but paypal is the best for me. If you'll be picking up the car yourself, pay the deposit with paypal and take the rest of the money with you. Hell, if the auction hasn't ended, take the road trip if it's only a few hundred miles and touch the thing.

3. Rocky72

Rocky72
    from Pa.

Some good info in this thread . I have a 60 T bird that I thought about putting on ebay but was a little worried about what was safe as far as making sure you get your money .
    Do any of you guys know if you sell a car on ebay and the buyer isn't happy with the deal if paypal gives the buyer some of their cash back ? I had a guy tell me that happened to him .

4. roundvalley

roundvalley

Phenomenal deal! '36 Ford. You said seller is a she! I hope her name is not Gloria. Google 1936 Ford and see if your car turns up on other sites with a good story and pay with the paypal bullshit.

5. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

When the buyer gets the car and he is not happy with it E-Bay through Pay Pal puts a hold on the funds until you and the buyer agree on a settlement or if not, E-bay will moderate the case and make a descision which usually goes in favour of the buyer. As a SELLER you have no protection from E-Bay.

bobwop and Pinstriper40 like this.
  6. If you DID NOT bid and win an ebay auction, You are about to loose a lot of money.

7. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

SCAM! So many red flags but the lure of a "great deal" causes people to suddenly go blind.
    EBay is NOT an escrow service. They do NOT hold funds for five days until you have inspected the car. The invoice you have received is FAKE. Send your money, but before you do, make sure to kiss it goodbye because you will never see it again.
    Let me guess: You found the '36 on craigslist, but the "seller" wants to complete the transaction on eBay "for your protection." Read what eBay actually says here, and save yourself some grief:
    http://pages.ebay.com/motors/buy/purchase-protection/index.html
    And craigslist:
    https://www.craigslist.org/about/scams
    Both eBay and craigslist have warnings about this. There is ZERO connection between craigslist and eBay.
    These scams work, on a regular basis, because the crooks know that a fantastic vehicle at a great price always lures in the prey. If it is such a great deal, why are they selling it on the internet instead of locally? And the answer is, because they don't have the car. They just have pictures of the car.

8. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

9. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

eBay does NOT put funds in escrow. eBay is not the one paid when one buys a vehicle on eBay. eBay is an advertising venue. Some sellers ask for an immediate paypal deposit, with balance to be sent, but paypal and eBay are completely separate companies and have been since 2015.

Hombre and 49ratfink like this.
  10. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

11. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

This has scam written all over it.

12. Better look real close at your e-bay stuff there has been a lot of scams lately involving online payments and fake sites. Check for improper English, the actual email address that it was sent from ( you may have to look in the header) and exact script for the web site.

Here is a simple way to see if someone is pushing your leg. Tell them that you uncle lives close and wants to come look at the car for you. If the car is real they'll hang with you and if not they'll drop you like a hot rock. Or make excuses.

lurker mick likes this.
  13. evintho

evintho

What city/state is the car in? We have HAMBers across the country. If it's local to one maybe he/she will step up and go see if the car actually exists.

14. sportster-bob

sportster-bob

If it's too good to be true then, it is! As said by others, if this sale was not conducted through eBay to begin with they are not going to guarantee anything. eBay would typically use PayPal to handle funds and provide receipt and protection. I know some have gotten a good deal buying a car this way sight unseen but I know many others who tell horror stories afterward. If your eyes have not seen the car first hand then be prepared for disappointment because that is the likely result. Sorry to be a wet blanket but the sad truth is there are many scammers out there. More than you might think. Deal in person and deal with cash or cashiers check.

bobwop likes this.
  15. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I have a friend who wanted to purchase a car off E Bay but he was not sure and afraid of losing his money so he contacted E Bay first and they verified that the seller and the car were real and that the deal seemed above board.

My friend lost $32,500 dollars and when no car arrived and all contact stopped from the seller he contacted E-Bay again and explained everything to them and explained to them he had called first and they verified the seller they said there no nothing they could do.

My friend then contacted the F.B.I. who got involved and after spending a month or so they told him this same seller had sold other cars on E-Bay without ever shipping a car and in each case they had tracked the money back to Iowa and that's all they would tell him.

When you are at a car show and someone shows a great deal of interest in a car you have beware how much information you give them because your car could be next appearing on E Bay for sale.

We have a guy in our car club who saw his car on E-Bay for sale even though it was not him that ran the ad and there were pictures of the car along with all the information about the car and when I asked him if he ever had it for sale he said yes and there was one guy who requested pictures of the car.

Never under any conditions show someone your tittle or even a copy of your tittle because you did that they now have everything they need to sell your car to someone else.

Jimbo

djr041060 and bobwop like this.
  16. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

that 36 humpback resto rod has been posted on a bunch CL sites. A guy from CO claims he was ripped off for $10K on this car a month or two ago according to his CL SCAM postings.

17. Slopok

Slopok

Wasn't she also selling the Rainman Buick awhile back so she and her son could begin their new life somewhere in Indiana after her husband died from a heart attack???:rolleyes:

bobwop likes this.
  18. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

Wow... you guys are great. I was very sceptical, but chinarus' and Slopokes response is balls on. I never mentioned >t was a woman, widowed, with son, moving out of statw. Or that it was a Humpback resto rod. But you guys nailed it.

Sent from my SM-J700T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

bobwop likes this.
  19. Alert: Internet Vehicle Scams on Craigslist and Other Non-eBay Sites

eBay's Vehicle Purchase Protection covers only certain vehicle transactions that are completed ON eBay.com. If a Craigslist or non-eBay seller 'promises' you the eBay protection plan, this is fraud and you should walk away. Learn more.

Common warning signs:
    • Vehicles advertised well below what it is worth may be tempting, but should be a red flag. If it appears too good to be true, it probably is.
    • You are unable to see the vehicle in person first or have it physically inspected prior to payment
    • There is an urgency to complete the sale quickly because the seller has a health or family issue, is being deployed to the military, moving out of state/country or is going through a divorce/marriage
    • Seller pushes to get money in advance and transferred through a fast payment method, or sent to a fake escrow account to avoid you as the buyer losing out on the deal before another buyer purchases the item first
    Criminals want to lure you into feeling safe and may also disguise their websites or emails to look like they are from eBay, when they are not. View additional warning signs and examples of vehicle scams.

20. In post #9 you said it was a "she" that was selling the car

21. Why don't you forward the ebay invoice to ebay. They could probably use a good laugh..........

22. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned about ebay is the sellers feedback reputation. It is one of the most important considerations on ebay and their whole system is based on it. If they are above board, they will have a bunch of feedback and it should be about all positive. If they have 90% positive feedback, 10 of 100 people were unhappy. I won't deal with anyone that doesn't have better than 98% positive feedback.
    Capture33.JPG I just took a screen shot of the user name on a T-bird I was looking at last night. I'm not showing his full user name visionary is part of it. He has made 65 transactions, maybe not all were sales, some may be purchases. I think the star changes to different colors with more transactions. He has made his buyers/sellers happy with his conduct 100% of the time, nobody has given him negative feedback. The odds are very good that he is a good guy and will treat you fairly.
    I personally have never sold anything on ebay, but I just looked and I have made 439 purchases over the past dozen or so years and I also have 100% positive feedback. If I'm buying an expensive item on ebay like a car, the seller can look and see that there is a really good chance that I will not try to screw with him.

23. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

I'm on it. Thank you all once again. When I joined the HAMB years ago my first post was about a guy that wanted to buy my car and give me a check to cover the car and shipping. Sounded fishy, talk to you all, and the game was explained to me. Dodged another one

Sent from my SM-J700T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

bobwop and pat59 like this.
  24. Really people, there have been so many posts of this type lately that it would be a valuable public service to create a sticky with a list of the most popular and recent scams. I don't want to seem disrespectable but WOW, some of these are so obvious it amazes me that guys don't see the REDDDD flags flying at full mast.

bobwop and Scooterville like this.
  25. 34Larry

34Larry

Hey Boeing Bomber these HAMB'ers know what the hell they are talking about, so its a good choice to take their advise, take this advise from a retired Boeing guy. Better yet, don't buy any car from anybody unless you have seen it in the flesh, driven it and the seller can produce a valid title. I know its tempting sometimes, but if your out many K's of cold hard cash you'll be kicking yourself in the ass:(, that's for sure. This question you ask sounds like something my half brother would ask:D. This isn't you is it Bobby?

jim snow likes this.
  26. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Okay. What ever you say. I guess that I never did a single transaction using ebay motors.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  27. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

No, they do not. You may think they do. But you're wrong. eBay does mention using an escrow service when purchasing a vehicle, but they are not the escrow service. eBay also says that the only escrow service they approve is escrow.com, but that is not eBay. eBay does not place funds anywhere. The buyer pays the seller in a variety of ways (paypal, check, money order, wire transfer, cash) but eBay never touches the money.

http://pages.motors.ebay.com/buy/security/index.html

bobwop likes this.
  28. '51 Roadmaster

'51 Roadmaster

Yes, she certainly was and there's a thread about it on here as well. Boeing Bomber, this has scam written all over it, take the advice from everyone - run away from this as if you were on fire and being chased by angry hornets.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    bobwop likes this.
  29. '51 Roadmaster

'51 Roadmaster