Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any tips on painting engine compartment?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thechondro, May 4, 2010.

1. atomickustom

atomickustom

I have a tip that might get me flamed as lazy, but here goes: Eastwood sells spray cans of stuff they claim will stop rust (http://www.eastwood.com/rust-solutions/treatment/rust-encapsulator-1.html) called "Rust Encapsulator."
    I can tell you from experience that it does NOT stop rust.

However, I can also tell you from experience that it covers really well, will stick to just about anything (clean metal, rusty metal, plastic, etc. etc.) and leaves a very nice flat black surface. It goes on thicker than any spray paint I've ever used and covers really well.

Here is the weird part: it does not attract dust! I sprayed my inner fenders and firewall with semi-flat black lacquer, but ran out and had to use some leftover Rust Encapsulator on some of the other pieces, including the cover that screws onto the firewall on a '53 Chevy.

Every time I lift my hood the entire engine compartment is coated with a heavy coat of dust EXCEPT the parts I sprayed with this Eastwood paint from a spray can. I don't know why, but it is definitely true. I plan to use that paint all over the engine compartment of the '51 Chevy I'm building.

2. Damn, I just payed like 4.00 for a spray bottle of that purple stuff! Anyways, Sweet engine compartment jdholmes! That looks pretty classy. Im kinda going back and forth on the Primer and then two stage or the one stage paints. Not for the look of the paints but for if I miss a spot that needs to be touched up on the one stage I'm kinda screwed aren't I? After u spray, u sort of lose that touch up ability right? I actually stripped a lot of the compartment with the aircraft remover already. It only had one coat so it was a breeze. Unlike the rest of the car. Didnt even have to bust out the plastic wrap to put over the stripper. Just one swoop. That eastwood sounds like a detailers dream. Sucks about the rust thing though.

3. atomickustom

atomickustom

Don't get me wrong, it does a nice job of sticking to rusty metal, but if you don't treat the rust with some chemical it will eventually start back up. Took about 6 years on the side of my pickup, and the trunk floor in my '53 is starting again after 5 or 6 years. (I didn't have any Ospho back then. Nowadays I ospho the rust and THEN paint it.)

4. What the hell is ospho? does this stuff really work? need to paint my trunk soon. Will HOK's direct to metal primer not be enough?

5. Is rust mort any good for tight spaces? or even zero rust? ive had rust mort de-laminate the primer on top of it so im a little scared about using it.