Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Any tips for moving a shop halfway across the country???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikec4193, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Great idea. Mark each box with a big number on all sides, corresponding to the page number in the book. That page lists all what's in the box.

31Apickup likes this.
  2. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Pod isnt a bad idea... Shipping containers normally have to be either craned or tilted to about 35 degrees to load on trailer, just alot to go wrong there.

Other option, do a huge garage sale on things like tools etc, to cut down the stuff you are moving. If you get it down to a couple project cars and tool box its not too bad. Dont forget to get the cars able to be loaded down with things you need or want to bring, the space in them is crucial in things like this. You can auto transport both of them, or move them yourself if you have a big enough rig for 2 cars on a trailer. But most of us dont have that option.
    Multiple trips will suck. You can get a 53' trailer, you will have to load everything at a dock and unload at a dock, so securing a dock for things is a must before doing things. Freight on one 53' wont be bad... A company called RUAN used to rent trailers like that, you just need to secure a driver for the truck and haul... Alot of planning will make the BS alot less. If it was only a hour or 2 it would be one thing but you say half way across the country, that is cringe worthy.

Depending on what your moving house wise, there are companies who will ship most of the garage stuff with the house stuff, and it may be the best thing to do and then transport the vehicles yourself.

Alot of ways to skin this animal, just what sounds better to you, physically and mentally, then financially. Being a cheap ass and doing it all yourself on 20 loads of a flatbed trailer will suck, the wear and tear will get you and your equipment doing such things, and what seemed cheap will spiral with a mechanical failure costing double what the other options listed above are, and 3 times the amount of time.

We give options... Let us know what you are going to do, and best of luck on the trip, always good to hear someone moving back to around family.....

3. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

we only moved 2 hours away and I moved it myself.
    I will never do that again.

mrspeedyt and Tman like this.
  4. partssaloon

partssaloon

Did this myself twice with ABF, you load and unload it yourself that way you know how and what got loaded. Very satisfied.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  5. MARKDTN

MARKDTN

Agree. That is why I bought a $2800 trailer instead of a $1500 trailer. I had them DOT inspect it and deliver it to the loading end. Cartage trailers are an interesting thing. You definitely want a decent one. Good tires and brakes and make sure there is oil in the axles. But having a DOT inspected one pays on the back end as well when you go to sell it.

Boneyard51 and Tman like this.
  6. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

The thing that is somewhat glossed over here is the amount of time it takes to load and to unload. Thats why buying something rather than renting something is much more convenient.............plus you have the benefit of just leaving the stuff stored until you actually want to unload it.Don't know how much stuff you have or how heavy or inconvenient it is to move it around, but its often hard to get stuff loaded/unloaded quickly. Jus sayin.......;)

7. Exactly...which is why my 40’ semi trailer is still full of junk after moving 4 years ago. :oops:

8. AeroCraftsman

AeroCraftsman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought a bunch of collapsible wire baskets for all the little stuff. They’ll stack 3 high and 2 wide in a semi trailer. I then used ABF U-pack. The baskets were easy to load in the trailer if you’ve got a forklift and a pallet jack. Worked great for me.

9. Mark your boxes really well. I moved my 1700sqft shop Jan 2019 along with our house. Filled a huge van. Wouldn't even have tried it w/o professional mover. Big tip; purge before packing. I did, hauled off several trips to the dump and still moved too much junk.

trulyvintage and guthriesmith like this.
  10. 3 pickup trucks with loboy car trailers, 40 tiedown straps, 2 stepchildren or friend drivers and you, drivin' . Then Hit it like there's nothin to it. A few hambergers later you'll be there.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  11. partssaloon

partssaloon

They deliver the trailer and you keep it till you say you are ready (kept mine 2 weeks). They then transport it and if you are not ready they will store it at an addition charge.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  12. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

That's the point I'm trying to make........those additional charges can end up being expensive. It simply amazes me how many people rent storage units and then default on them because it's costing them more than their stored items are worth. Ever notice that every time someone builds a new apartment or codominium complex, a mini storage place gets built right across the street. Everyone can make their own choices on what they think is best, but unless everything is done quickly the plans go awry and the expenses can get out of hand.:)

partssaloon and Boneyard51 like this.
  13. belair

belair

Having moved all my crap several times and many miles, I recommend the best insurance you can get and then a big fire. Good luck- you're in for a job.

Woogeroo, Beanscoot, Tman and 2 others like this.
  14. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

like I wrote earlier have used PODS and have used ABF. I like PODS better as the drivers for ABF damaged stuff but we did have insurance so that helped but just found the container type system to work better moving my garage equipment

15. I am probably too controlling, but my wifes' aunt and uncle moved here this past summer and paid to have their stuff put into a truck. When it showed up I was very disappointed, stuff was not put in like they intended it to make the trip undamaged. Fine furniture had no protection around it at all, so most of their stuff was showing abuse. It could have been minimized if someone had the knowledge and cared to pack it properly. If I recall they spent $4-5k to rent the trailer and pay the people to load it.

I have moved all my stuff and my parents stuff and brothers stuff because I am stubborn and don't trust someone else to do it. I suggest doing it yourself, at least if something is damaged you didn't pay someone else to damage it.

I ran across this story a long time ago and it makes me laugh as I'd have probably done the same thing;
    http://www.twistedknotwoodshop.com/moving.htm

Good luck

clem likes this.
  16. Lots of good advice. I just moved my shop a short distance, so I could handle it with multiple trips with an open and enclosed trailer ( rental )

Save or accumulate scrap lumber for blocking anything heavy on casters, and to keep anything on wheels from moving. Screw directly into the deck with a cordless and torx head screws

Buy a 6’ pry bar dolly - leverage is your best friend.

To keep casters rolling use scrap sheet metal or plate to help with ramp transitions.

The cheap car dollies are useful to move stuff. Build wood blocking around them so they can’t dislodge.

Water can be a great lubricant to get heavy stuff to slide on wood decks.

I used tow straps , and come alongs to pull a lot of stuff into enclosed, and onto open trailers. It not a bad idea tie off with an extra and move chocks in case any thing let’s go.

A nylon tow strap wrapped 1 or 2 times around the front bar on a open trailer is a great way to decelerate a load as use let it go down the ramps.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Boneyard51 and Sandgroper like this.
  17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just moved my shop about 15-miles.

It took 5 fully packed 20-foot box truck loads, one flatbed trailer load, three car trailer loads, and 6 car loads.

Next time, I hire out. It still hurts.

18. Wow...you guys are awesome...I will reread all these replies again....thank you thank you thank you...

MikeC

seb fontana likes this.
  19. Think hard about the gas can/road flare option.

20. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Your gonna need a lot of moving permits for the garage building.:D

21. NewmanOlivia

NewmanOlivia

I moved to Los Angeles and I really like it here, If you're a fan of a big, crowded city, then you can choose this place to stay. Last year I had to take a lot of things from the old house. I didn't know how to move all my things from one city to another, and a friend advised me to turn to the services of a company that specializes in moving. I really liked the services of this company, and I can say that security is for them first and foremost. I think they can help you with your problem. They were even able to bring my collectible cars to my new home. The name of this company is removalist manly.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  22. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

If you are thinking about buying a truck and then reselling it after you are done with it, I would definitely keep it under 26,000 GVW. You can find lots of really good, single axle box type trucks like used U-hauls and local delivery trucks that are diesel and as reliable as a rock. Unless you are already an over the road truck driver with a CDL and are in a DOT drug testing program don't even think about a truck over 26,000 GVW. Trucks below 26,000 go right by the ports of entry etc. in most states now, just like a pickup, but are much safer with bigger brakes etc. than a pickup and trailer.

SAM3 Customs likes this.
  23. Reidy

Reidy

You are a nice person, only joined yesterday, and your one and only post is to recommend a moving company in private.

Budget36 likes this.
  24. I am making the shop move from Anchorage Alaska to Reno Nevada. 3100 miles one way. I realized that having my equipment, cars and personnel stuff moved was going to be real costly , so I went the extreme route. Bought a Freightliner semi and a 53' stacker van. Got my CDL and have made 2 ea trips so far. Have a full load waiting till May and maybe the boarders will loosen up a bit. I figure I have 2ea more trips and will have all my stuff moved . So far I have been able to back haul stuff to offset the expenses.
    Vic DSC02054.JPG

stanlow69, clem and Budget36 like this.
  25. exterminator

exterminator

I am not moving. Sounds like too much work.

26. Jeff Engelman

Jeff Engelman
    from Mead, CO

Are you moving the 33 Ford Victoria or is it for sale?

27. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

The easiest way would be to call a really good auctioneer, have them sell everything. It all disappears in 1 day with zero work on your part. Then you only have to move the money. When you get to the new place, order new stuff and it all gets delivered. That's what I would do.

seb fontana likes this.
  28. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Holy shit...

jebbesen and seb fontana like this.