Register now to get rid of these ads!

any tips for keeping half used tins of paint good

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by steveo3002, Jun 23, 2009.

1. steveo3002

steveo3002
    from england

just went out to do some touch ins on the car , the paint had gone hard in the can :mad:

anyone found any cool tips for keeping the paint good...i was thinking maybe empty it into some jars instead so theres no air space above the paint

2. 85-percent

85-percent

one piece of folklore that may help is to breathe into the can then close the lid. the co2 makes the paint last longer than regular atmosphere.

i cannot vouch for the effectiveness.

-90% Jimmy

3. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Ive heard propane. Not lit of course. I use tape on the top of cans also.I know a refridgerator will also slow down curing times.Never tried it personally.Whatever you decide to do.Just remember to displace as much oxygen as possible.I dont like jars ,They are a pain to open later.

4. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

5. proscriptus

proscriptus
    from Ver-mont

'Piece of plastic wrap on the surface of the paint works good. Put the lid on over that. Be sure to filter/strain it before next use, no matter what method you use--you'll always end up with little flakes of dried paint in there somewhere.

6. Weasel

Weasel

If you have opened it put some cling film or Saran wrap kind of plastic between the can and the lid. Stops the paint from drying the lid to the can too.

7. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

actually if you just turn the can upside down to store it somehow works like magic,try it

8. Road Runner

Road Runner

Clean the lid and rim of the can thoroughly before gently tapping it closed with a rubber mallet, without denting or distorting the metal.
    Store upside down and away from extreme hot and cold temperatures.

9. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

I have kept an opened can of POR15 for almost a year.

1. Use the saran wrap between the lid and the can.
    2. Put the sealed can into a sealable freezer bag and remove as much of the air as possible.
    3. Put THIS package into a second bag and remove as much air as possible.

The object of the exercise is to keep the vapors from escaping. Sealable baggie type Freezer bags are cheap and reusable.

Trust me, this works.

10. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Try looking in the paint department at your local Home Depot, some of them have new empty paint containers made of plastic, and metal with lids in various sizes so you can save your unused paint in them.

11. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

I regularly keep half cans of paint without issue or special storage techniques. If it was a touchup can then you probably got too much paint on the lip before resealing the lid.

Block of wood and a hammer is the tool for sealing paint lids. But the lip's gotta be clean first. good luck

12. chubbie

chubbie

Ten years ago a guy painted my logo on the side of my van..many cans of one shot with no lids!!! He put paint thinner on top of the paint, and just por it off, and stir in the rest!!! said he hadn't lost a drop of paint after useing this method!!!

13. 35WINDOW

35WINDOW

14. I've got a big popcorn tin full of marbles. When you're done painting pour in the marbles until the paint is back to the top and that eliminates the oxygen. Been doing that for 35 years and it works! When the paint is gone clean the marbles and use em next time.:rolleyes:

15. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I have cans of Nitro Lacquer from the 50's still good in there

16. steveo3002

steveo3002
    from england

hahah who thought of that.. i guess marbels are cheap enough anyhow

17. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

If you've got a MIG welder, loosen the wire feed, and shoot the Argon into the can, and close quickly. If there's any doubt about the can sealing, use plastic wrap on the top.

18. gashog

gashog

Yup, just store it upside down, the fuller the better. No air can leak inside that way.

19. Ok, that's one I've never heard before. I do like the idea of storing cans upside down, that sounds like it should work fine.

I close my tins with this...

[​IMG]

Greenerd Arbor Press No. 1. A dumpster find about 20 years ago, I think it dates from the late '20s, early '30s. I added the flat plate for closing paint lids. 1/2 or 1/4 pints fit perfectly and it seals evenly all the way 'round.

Finally got around to cleaning it up, put it into use and haven't had a chance to stripe it yet, but at least it looks a bit better...

[​IMG]

Now someone will bitch at me for removing the patina :D

20. D-fens

D-fens
    from Huntsville

Some of you guys are putting way too much effort into this. I can see going to some trouble to protect or preserve OG nitrocellulose lacquer, but most modern single-stage paints and basecoat / clears have a really long shelf life if they're not reduced or mixed.

I make sure the lids are on tight, then keep the cans inside the house (laundry room closet), where they are somewhat protected from the heat / humidity of the garage. It must work, because recently I shot some Delstar enamel I'd had on the shelf for over ten years without any problems.

21. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

How could you remove that patina? It took years for it to form and your disregard for the sacred holy ground that is the HAMB is just unacceptable. Geesch!!!, just no respect for tradition. 30 lashes should make it right.:eek::eek::eek::D:D:D:D

Frank

22. DrJ

DrJ

Any casting plastics supply will sell nitrogen in a can.
    One brand name is "Belch".
    This is important for displacing the moisture-full air in two part urethane plastics because water will make foam rubber out of them, and bubble or cloud urethane paints too.
    Use it instead of the suggested "breathing into the can."
    You simply spray the nitrogen into the can just before slamming the lid shut.
    The lid has to fit air tight, obviously...
    I always turn cans upside down after capping them up to "seal" the lid with some of the paint even if I'm not storing them that way.

23. Got it from a guy named "Butch" Brinza, a custom painter in the Milwaukee area in the 50s & 60s. Concours Paint Works, he was really good at all the right stuff, Candy, Metalflake, Scallops, etc. Learned alot of good shit from him, that I've forgotten now. It works even better if you fill the can & then store it upside down....

24. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I've made my decision, you have to be joking. There is no way you could be that clueless about everything to do with paint and still post your advice. No shot.

Mark told me about this and I have yet to try it. (I thought he was trying to mislead me, but seeing as he posted it in public, I'm safe. :D ) I just put it in smaller containers usually with a good sealing lid.

25. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I usually don't do this with regular paint, but I DO use POR-15, and it works very well with that! I think that hardeners go bad faster than paint does, unless the paint can is almost empty. So if you aren't going to use your hardener in a long time, displace the air in the can.

26. Dr Goggles

Dr Goggles

Clean the lip, and tip em upside down .....but to the guy who said store them in the house away from the garage.....BA-BOW......don't store flammable stuff like that in yer house......buy an old locker, make sure it's weatherproof and put em in that....away from the house and the shed.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

27. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

works every time, provided You have the inside of the lip clean.

I had a boss who would use canning wax on the closed lid if he knew it was going to sit for a long time.

28. I just got my newest Woodworkers Journal and 2 of the methods that have been suggested here were in the magazine. Putting the marbles in the can til it is full and then putting the lid back on was one and the other was putting the saran wrap on top of the paint and then re sealing the can was the other. I have an old pin striping buddy that uses another trick. He never opens a can of his pin striping paint. Instead, he pokes a hole in the top of the can, squirts out what he needs and then puts a metal screw in the hole. This keeps the can sealed and he never has a problem with dried out paint.
    Later,
    Dick

29. Oh yeah- I did the hole in the lid thing on a gallon of POR 15 and it is still good after a 3 year period. I just poked a larger hole and used a larger screw.
    Later,
    Dick

30. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

That makes two people I trust claiming it. I'm sold.

I never save hardeners for long periods and I always buy in quarts.