Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any sugguestions on how to get out and easy-out?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jake//NC\\Mi, Feb 21, 2005.

1. jake//NC\\Mi

jake//NC\\Mi
    from michigan

I was attempting to break loose a head bolt with an easy-out and snapped it off. I know it won't drill easy or at all....help! My wife has me on suicide watch since this happened. I'm desperate to get my engine running. Any suggestions would be great.

2. oldspeed

oldspeed
    from Upstate NY

Hate to tell you this but they are hard as hell and I don't believe a carbide drill will touch it. But... If you have room along side of the ez out drill a small hole and by using a small puch see if you can move it sideways to get it to lossen its grip. Other than that a electrical discharge machine EDM but you will need to take the part off and know someone in a machine shop. Sorry man.

3. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

get a nut the same size as the broken bolt and weld it to what is left of the ezee out. after you weld the nut rock it back and forth to get it free. alot of the time after welding the nut to the top the weld will shrink the broken bolt and it comes right out.

4. Paul

Paul
    Editor

got a wirefeed welder?

weld a nut to the broken stud and easy-out and back them both out together.

Paul

5. McGrath

McGrath

You may be able to break it into pieces with a centerpunch. I have removed broken Taps that way. Taps are brittle though and break pretty easy, I don't know if an EZ-Out is that brittle ...

Ryan likes this.
  6. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

The easy outs are hard but brittle. Take a punch and try breaking it out. Welding a nut on is also a good option. One more is torching it out. The bolt and easy out will melt before the block, but you will probably have to healacoil the hole. put the head on (for a guide plate) for drilling.

7. jake//NC\\Mi

jake//NC\\Mi
    from michigan

thanks for the help welding the nut on did the trick. Iam off suicide watch now but still have to get the bolts out.

8. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

An EZ Out is the second hardest substance known to man. A broken EZ Out is the hardest substance known to man.

I've heard of machine shops having to TiG weld drops and blobs of filler rod to the top of broken taps, bolts and EZ Outs to build the piece back up to the hole's surface (like the tap etc. was broken down inside the hole). Once the material is built back up, a vise grip was clamped to it to back it out. Welding a nut to it would be better. It might be time for a trip to the machine shop.

-Brad