Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any suggestions on maintaining a rebuilt early hemi after a year-plus of storage?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31chevymike, Oct 17, 2010.

1. 31chevymike

31chevymike

I need some serious advice after a very disappointing closure with my hemi engine builder... I had a Blown '58 Chrysler 392 hemi built and finished over a year ago and I'm worried about the condition of the cylinder walls from possibly rusting from a long delay of firing the engine. From the way it looks, it could even be much longer before I get to fire up this beast - my financial situation hasn't been much good at all from this economy to keep this subject short and sweet...

A local hot rodder suggested that I fill the cylinder walls with thick 90 weight gear oil through the spark plug tubes, spinning my balancer slowly to lubricate them completely. This sounds like a great idea, knowing that the tubes are of coarse, at the top of the valve covers for direct contact with the cylinder walls/pistons. My hemi is completely sealed up with the exception of the tube seals filled with foam. All exhaust/intake ports (minus the blower), water pump outlet, etc. are taped up with masking tape.

I would appreciate any pertinent advice from novice to professional engine builders alike!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  2. aircoup

aircoup

i would think that marvel mystery oil in the cylinders should work and yes turn over by hand every so often, if its been sealed up like you say ,and been kept dry ,out of the elements so on it really shouldnt be that bad

3. Fogging oil...

4. 73RR

73RR

A couple of squirts of 'something'...PB, WD-40, Kroil...in each hole then spin it 2-3 times. 1-2 times a year should do it as long as it is kept in a dry area. If your storage area allows for condensation to occur on metal like this (sweating), then move it into the spare bedroom.:D

5. While waiting on bodywork and paint for my '55 Chevy, it's SBC sat on an engine stand for over two years. I squirted ~two tablespoons of 10w-40 into each sparkplug hole, then hand-cranked it over (with a ratchet on the crank pully) monthly.

It blew heavy blue smoke when I finally fired it up. Then, once the oil was burned out, it settled in nicely- no smoke and no damage whatsoever.

Hope this helps.

6. They make engine storage bags.

I would look for a dessicant to put inside the bag to keep the engine company;)

7. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Thats what the crate engine sellers do, they put this thing in there it looks like a rotten marshmallow and bag it in nitrogen.