Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Any suggestions on how to get this stance?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by askforjonny, Jun 20, 2016.

1. d2cafc5b517da7fefb45906c95b992d9.jpg

I'd love to have the same stance on my 1949 4door. I've seen jamCo kits, but I have also heard about cheaper ways of getting the low stance without sacrificing ride quality.
    Anyone willing to elaborate?

2. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

looking at the front tires of that particular car, I would be inclined to believe it has some kinda adjustable suspension like airbags or hydraulics. Its fairly hard to imagine a static drop where the rockers drag on the ground and the front tires have that much camber...

If you search on here, youll find lots of options for lowering these shoeboxes. Me and lots of others have used aerostar front springs for about 2 1/2' of drop, you could flip your uprights and swap them side to side for even more drop but that requires bending of steering components and ive never used that method so I cant personally say how it effects driveability. Of course fatman and others offer dropped uprights as well but that costs money. Then there is the option of a front clip but that is a spendy route even when you do it yourself with junkyard parts.

search for johnny1290 shoebox ford guide on here. he put together a pretty comprehensive list of stuff about these cars complete with pics and links, and others contributed even more info.

askforjonny likes this.
  3. Alright man. Thanks

4. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

No problem! I have links on my old computer to some threads about those topics, but they are easy enough to find. searching for aerostar springs and johnny1290 should get you started down the right path. Ive never 'bagged anything so I cant really even begin to tell you how to get a stance like the car you posted, but many on here have and im sure you could find someone who would know exactly how to do what youre asking

5. verde742

verde742

Its called "reverse your spindles." take one from one side and change with the one one the other side, just labor, Or Your time. If you put it on a lift, you will realize how this will lower it. If its not enuff, cut a coil, I'M sure the front will be low "enuff" then concentrate on back, de-arch springs, or take out 1-2. and lowering blocks between rear end and springs. Might have to make room for drive shaft, thru the tunnel.

It might not put body to the ground, but it will "look plenty good" IMO

6. I call that the broken ball joint look.

7. squirrel

squirrel

dude...someone stole your springs!

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

There are NO "cheaper ways of getting the low stance without sacrificing ride quality"...NONE!

To lower any shoebox or other common passenger vehicle that much, and retain good ride quality in the process, requires and lot of laborious, time consuming and, therefore, somewhat costly modifications to accomplish both goals simultaneously. "You pays your money (or not) and you makes your choice"

I have read so many 'testimonies' here and on other forums claiming that such and such modification (always in total defiance of geometry and physics) that "ride and handle GREAT", that it makes my head explode.

I can only conclude the claimants have no ability to distinguish between a POS and a well engineered car, stock or modified.....or more likely....they have a VERY low bar when judging those attributes.

Read my signature line..........

Ray

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
    wicarnut and lurker mick like this.
  9. LMFAO I was going to say that.:D

Hey @squirrel I made fun of your car (sort of) in another thread. I did give you the win though, I hope you don't mind. ;)

The ride quality should be just fine in that old Ford as long as there isn't a piece of gravel in the road. I like it myself as customs go it is just so newstalgic [sic].

dana barlow and askforjonny like this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

My car is a joke, so I don't mind at all.

dana barlow likes this.
  11. yea ya just got to laugh about a car that makes it to the big end before the smoke clears and will still haul the groceries home, uh every week. ;)

dana barlow likes this.
  12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Well placed bags of cement will do it, don't forget to air the tires up...

askforjonny likes this.
  13. Lots of batteries mang. We jumped the fence at the junk yard and threw loss of batteries in the trunk ese. :D

askforjonny likes this.
  14. Damn. I'm looking at the aero Springs. And some shorter shocks now. I seen a camber kit on shoebox central that might be useful..

Thing is when I lower the front end 3" would 3 inches in the rear flush it or should I go 4"

15. A lot of that depends on how weak/worn the rear springs are. if your rears are real weak 3"may make a tail dragger out of it.

How does it set now? Is it nose down?

Again leaning toward worn springs new 3" drop springs may not drop it 3". Hell I had a late model mini truck that I threw 3" springs in and 2" dropped spindles and it only dropped it 3". the front springs were really weak to start with. Just for an example.

if it were me I would drop the front and then throw a tape on the rear and drop it accordingly. You may not get what you want without C notching the rear for axle clearance.

16. I'm trying to keep it as stock as possible. With things that can be reversed. So ill just have to see where it is at when I lower the front.

Thanks for the advice.

I came across a thread a while ago... can't seem to find it now it had a shorter front shock part number to go along with the springs.
    Anyone know what I'm talking about?

17. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

18. Can you take a little advice from an old dude? in nearly 50 years I have never taken a car back to original after I modified it. Even if you are one of the rare few that thinks that a restored car is what you want after the fact it is nothing to weld the little piece of frame that you cut out back in.

verde742 and askforjonny like this.
  19. BJR

BJR

Just steal his car.... done.

askforjonny likes this.
  20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Hell, want it low with a 'stock ride'? Channel it!

funk 49 likes this.
  21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

what we see in that photo is not stance, but a complete lack of it.

e z i, Chili Phil, Saxman and 5 others like this.
  23. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Take the family to Burger King every night for about a year.

askforjonny likes this.
  24. That is not stance, that's sitting on it's belly. Pull the springs out, done.

25. Proper stance.
    image.jpeg
    You broke it -
    image.jpeg

The broke stance-
    Sorta just Waller around on the ground looking silly.
    Understandably but still silly.
    image.jpeg

49ratfink likes this.
  26. the-rodster

the-rodster

You're not going to get "that" stance without air bags and a big C-notch.

It's a good eight inches lower than stock.

Rich

askforjonny likes this.
  27. the-rodster

the-rodster

An S-10 clip with dropped spindles and springs, de-arched springs out back, with air shocks.. can be done VERY cheaply and will ride like a new car.

Rich

28. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

There is a place in the old part of town,were if you leve a car,in less then a hr.it will be that low free,but will not roll any more.

wojojo, askforjonny and Hnstray like this.
  29. Ride like jacked mini truck

30. the-rodster

the-rodster

Wanna bet?

Rich