Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any source for weld on oil pan sumps?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shaggy, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I know they sold kits a bunch of years ago to weld bigger sumps on stock pans, but i just did a little hunting and didnt see any. Are they still out there?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

3. fordflambe

fordflambe

Back in my youthful drag racing days, we would slice a piece out of a donor pan and weld it into the one we wanted to use. Have to address baffles and extend the pickup but even that's not too difficult for a novice........I believe Moroso offered one in the 70's and maybe Milidon but not sure about now......

4. stimpy

stimpy

speedway still sells stuff like tat in there racing catalogs . we used to cut the pan and measure the thickness of the metal and cut a strip of the same thickness the added depth we wanted and welded it back together like a car body for one of my Pontiacs I cut the damged bottom off and hammerformed a new pan bottom around a wood buck I made and welded it on it was 16 ga steel IRRC .

5. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Thanks guys, it looks like i'm just gunna weld one up myself instead

6. 36tbird

36tbird

I saw something long ago where they took those C-4 trans pans that had the cooling tubes running through them and would weld those to the bottom of oil pans. The C-4 pans were a nice squarish pan whose size matched sumps. Looked like a neat idea for simple oil cooling and increased volume. I don't think the company offering the pans make them for that trans anymore.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I cant remember who but ive seen it on some SS drag car oil pan too, this is just for a daily tho so i probably wont benifit from the cooling