Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Any reviews on Diamondback bias look radials?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by chiro, Apr 11, 2021.

1. chiro

chiro

Hi all,
    My ride is a '30 Ford coupe traditional build hiboy on Model A chassis. 59AB flatty, '39 trans, banjo rear. Closed driveline, unspilt from wishbone, dropped front axle, juice brakes.
    The car runs out fine. Very tight. Steers great. Love the hell out of it. BUT, the damn big and little bias ply tires (Cokers) catch every groove in the road. It can get kind of scary when doing 60 MPH or better. There is no vibration, they are balanced well. Just the typical road characteristics of a bias ply tire.
    Wondering if the wandering stops if I changed out the bias plys for the Diamondback Auburn Deluxe radial tires. Good looking tire that hits all the right style notes of the bias plys.
    Anybody out there have experience with this swap on a traditional build hot rod?
    TIA,
    Andy

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Couple threads on this and everyone seems happy

DeLuxe 32 likes this.
  3. NJ Don

NJ Don

Andy,
    I put Coker "American Classic" bias look radials on my hiboy and love them. No wandering, ride is nice and compliant, in other words like your modern car. Not cheap but I'll probably be in the ground by the time they wear out. Front 5.60x15, rear 8.20x15. The rear is 30" tall.

loudbang and Elcohaulic like this.

4. NJ Don

NJ Don

No experience with Diamondback but everyone who I've spoken to that has them love them.

olscrounger likes this.
  5. chiro

chiro

I'm a member here since 2008. I know how to do a search, DUH. There are very few reviews on the threads you posted about a traditional build Hiboy with the Diamondback Auburn Deluxe tires. THAT'S why I posted this thread, Mr. Happy. Have a pleasant day and try not to kick your dog today.
    Blessings,
    Andy

6. I have them on my model a coupe and like them very much!
    Big improvement in ride quality!
    This particular car was almost harsh riding with bias-plys, much better with the auburns! Handles well too! Cruises down the highway 65-70 no problem! Tracks so straight you can take your hands off the wheel at speed! 7-8 degrees caster, 1/8 inch toe in. So far the Only down side is they are made offshore.

joep4567, chiro and Tim like this.
  7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LOL! I had the Coker American Classics (they should change the name seriously, our country is rounder than their tires) on my highboy 34 and I sold them. Put the auburns on and the ride is amazing and at speeds over 60! The cokers nearly shook the car apart at 60. The auburns are smooth, took little to no weight and I have had it to 90-95 (I peed a little) but it took it! I believe in them enough to buy another set for my 41 PU under construction.

ClarkH, Baumi, Blue One and 6 others like this.
  8. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

Their whitewalls stay white forever too.

texasred and olscrounger like this.
  9. Stooge

Stooge

I've only heard good things about them, even on the antique/ restoration sites, and am planning on getting a set when the time comes for wheels and tires on my '37. They seem to offer a $50 off a set of tires promotion fairly regularly on their Instagram, maybe not much off the total price, but a nice little incentive none the less. I think I just saw a 'Spring is Here' one that they posted yesterday.

10. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

The Diamond Back, Bias Ply, radial has a lot of good press performance wise. The white walls stay white too..
    If you want to go radial by them from Diamond Back and have them shave all the graphics off the side walls, they look pretty close to the bias plys..

shaved side wall.jpg

11. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Those look great!what size,style are those?

12. millersgarage

millersgarage

just had a set mounted yesterday, the tire shop was amazed at how little weight it took to balance them on old Ford steel wheels.

Elcohaulic and olscrounger like this.
  13. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Sorry, I don't have the size I saw these on this board..

14. cornfield county

cornfield county
    from Indiana

Anyone got updates on these tires?

15. joep4567

joep4567

seems like some folks get their kicks out of taking a shot at other folks! JUST SAYING

16. chiro

chiro

I've put about 500 miles on them now since I got them and will say that I am extremely happy with them. The ride is much better than the bias plys and the look is fantastic.
    Andy

17. dugydog

dugydog

Andy, does this mean you’re driving to the “Round Up”?

18. chiro

chiro

^^^That thought has crossed my mind.