Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Any reason not to run electric fan 24/7?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NAES, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Electric fans are not good, last a couple of years, real mechanical fans get it done. If you run an electric fan you need an extra one with mounting hardware in the trunk, tools and a flashlight.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. Scumdog

Scumdog

How does that work with late model cars that ONLY have electric fans?

BTW: my '55 has had an electric fan, (no mechanical )and it's still going strong after nine years

4. how’s that work?
    It works like this
    D4E76DEC-2F8B-4D4C-9AC5-03035B947FB1.jpeg

Plus let’s not forget that OEM application has some serious R&D behind it. It’s not fair to put an aftermarket system up against an OEM system. Late model stuff has a A truckload of air dams and underbody cowlings And a very wide frontal surface area.

nunattax likes this.
  5. I tell my students that engineers spend years designing OEM stuff then we come along and fuck with it, then complain it doesn’t work properly.

I also don’t understand the thought behind electric fans, never had the need for one on an old car

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Blue One and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  6. southcross2631

southcross2631

Personally I would be embarrassed to post a picture of a battery terminal that was badly corroded .
    Take 2 minutes and clean your battery terminals. How does the negative post look like. It could be that simple . Get rid of that tape around your sender. Fix your ground at the body . Run an extra ground wire to the chassis from the body ground.
    I have run electric fans on cars for years and never had failure like your talking about.

nunattax likes this.
  7. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Mechanical fans were used decades ago, I like 'em......

John Lee Williamson likes this.
  8. We're speaking about aftermarket electric fans, not new car fans. You'll still need an extra electric fan in the trunk or sooner or later you're gona get stuck out there and wish you could get home.

9. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

C46B915B-C827-4BE3-B2EF-9FB3C4DCF51B.jpeg

The engine setback makes an electric fan necessary on my car. Aftermarket fan has been in place for 20 years with no issues. Those poo-pooing the use of electric fans obviously ignore the fact that there is a time and a place for this application.