Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any one using a t-19 trans good?or bad? Idea

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MR K., Feb 26, 2014.

1. MR K.

MR K.

I was looking for something to bolt up to my flathead. Ran across this trans. Out of a late 70's f250 maybe???

2. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

cheap, durable, HEAVY, will outlast the engine.
    If it does not use up too much room it will work fine. Originally I thought of a truck transmission in a 'Hot rod' as being really dumb. "BUT' after attending a few parades and trying to snake thru crowds at a few car shows,(with my muncie 4 speed car) the 'granny' low gear works great!

3. finn

finn

I always thought they made a pretty good truck trans, but I don't think 'd want one in a car. The throws were pretty long if I remember, although they did have sort a charm in their own rite.

I know(or think I know) that when people talk about a T5 for an old car they gravitate towards units pulled from 5.0 Mustangs, but wouldn't a 4 popper Mustang or S10 V6 T5 have gearing more appropriate for a flathead and still have enough torque capability for the old girl?

4. MR K.

MR K.

Thanks guys. Good info!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. 55willys

55willys

Around 48 Ford used a T98 behind the flathead in large trucks. T19, T18, T98 are from the same family of Borg Warner transmissions. With some ingenuity and machine work you could put a set of T19 guts into a T98 case and bolt it to the back of the flathead, gaining a synchro 4.0 to 1 first gear. Jim Ford

6. trbomax

trbomax

My plan is to use a new process 542 in my 28 chevy cpe with bbc power. Its syncro on the top 4 gears and the ratios compare favorably with a muncie haveing a 3.40 or so first gear. The first gear in the 542 is around 5.40 which makes it a great "parade gear". The top 4 gears are evenly spaced because the trans is designed for diesel cycle compatibility. Its strong enough that I will never be able to break it in a 2400 lb car.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes.

8. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

I run a T19in my 53 F350, but that's a one ton dual rear wheel big truck. No way i'd want it in a car. Huge, heavy, clunky shifting. For a truck the ratios aren't terrible and that's why i swapped it in. Mine is the 4.0 low gear diesel one, used about 1983-87, the gas engine ones have a 5.-something first.