Register now to get rid of these ads!

any one repopping panels for 39-40 chevy trucks?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockabillyrat, Jan 9, 2010.

1. rockabillyrat

rockabillyrat

looking to see if any one knows a company that makes patch panels for the 39-40 chevy truck. ive looked online and have not had much luck. my cab is rusted out on the bottom and i want to see if i can get new panels for it. i know i could make them. just want it to look original and i dont have all the tools to make it look dead on. im looking for rockers cab corners and door bottoms.

2. 36chevy

36chevy

try jimcartertruckparts.com

3. rockabillyrat

rockabillyrat

thanks i had found that a while back and lost the link. but they dont have rear cab corners and the rockers are fiberglass....EWWW! i need steel. any one find any in steel?

4. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

5. rockabillyrat

rockabillyrat

thanks for the links. still on the hunt for corners and rockers.

6. DrJ

DrJ

The bottom 4" of both doors and cowl sides on my '40 GMC used to be part of a VW square back roof.
    Damn good German steel!
    The roof crown worked just right with the door crown.
    I chopped the top 4 1/2" with the cut going below the back window and right above and at the spot welds of the belt line to fix the rust out in that area.
    I bent and hand hammered a new belt line contour int the roof part so I could reproduce the belt line.
    Yes, it got some body filler before it was done.
    Before I cut the roof I made a plaster patch of the belt line contour, cut it up the middle and transferred the contour to a piece of aluminum sheet and cut an accurate template to use to help recreate the contour close to the finished shape in metal and I also ended up using it for a "drag" to spread the body filler only where I wanted it.
    I left out the doubler in the lower cowl area because I figured it was the cause of that rust out since it was just a leaf and dirt trap.
    Make BIG drain holes in the bottoms of the door frames.

7. rockabillyrat

rockabillyrat

great thanks for the post. i have a feeling im going to be making alot for this cab. its ok it gives me a reason to buy more tools!!!!

does any one know if the 41-46 chevy cab corners and rockers will work. cabs look alot alike. just dont know if they are close enough. if so any one make panels for these? i dont need a direct fit. i cant cut and weld just need the look.

8. DrJ

DrJ

Basically the same cab, Chevy and GMC
    GMC's are longer in the hood and radiator support area.
    There are only minor differences.
    The rocker molding curve dosen't extend into the lower cowl at all starting in '41 because it interfered with the different fender, I think.
    The '41-'46 had the toe board and firewall bumped out about 2" further into the engine area than the '39-'40 for that much more leg room.

'39 had a different dash, but that's a bolt in part. The '40 -'46 dash and gauge clusters are basically the same.

9. rockabillyrat

rockabillyrat

i must have missed that. well its a start. going to have to do some fabing but that should work.

now onto finding rockers.

10. Keep us updated on your progress. I'm going to need a drivers side cab corner myself before it's over and I've been thinking about starting with one of theirs to start with.

11. rockabillyrat

rockabillyrat

yeah i need to replace every thing in the rear under the belt line. its in to bad a shape to reuse. and i need rockers and door bottoms. cab sat out side on 2x4s for years. so did the rest of the body. only thing left that i would like to find is rockers. if i cant im going to by fiberglass ones and make a copy from metal. then sell the fiberglass ones. a metal brake should do the job.

12. Howeird46Chev

Howeird46Chev

Chevy's of the 40's just google them.

13. rockabillyrat

rockabillyrat

yeah i know but they are fiberglass. they must be steel.

14. rockabillyrat

rockabillyrat

hang on this may be only for the belt line. i emailed them for pics. if you read it said it was for the cab below the rear window. not the bottom. looks like i may be back to square one.