Register now to get rid of these ads!

any one ever made A doors with square tube

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52plybizcoupe, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Any one ever build A doors with square tubing as a inner frame for the door. Kinda race car inspired my doors are going to take some serious surgery to work since they dont have inner frames already I figure they will need some structure.

2. "Smokey" here on the HAMB made a pair of doors for his Model A RPU with nothing more than a shrinker/stretcher, a bead roller and some sheetmetal. Looked great.

Attached Files:

3. I did. 1 1/2" square tubing and sheetmetal, pounded into shape with some dollies and hammers, a bench vise, and a cheap Harbor Freight pneumatic flanger. Can't say it would've fooled the concours judges, but it lined up and looked decent enough from a couple feet away. Sorry I didn't take any pics.

4. i have some skins for my doors they are going to be full doors (they are four door rear doors now) but the doors dont have any real inner structure. I'm thinking if i contoured the inner frame with a flange on the edge I can attach the skin to it and it will hold the shape I need.

5. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

6. I was think ing about that way but I don't have a rear door frame to base any thing off of great tech on it I'll keep it in mind

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. junkman8888

junkman8888

Greetings! Look at April 1999 "Street Rodder", has an article on how Bill Gathings made some '28-'29 flush-fitting extended length Model A roadster doors using square tubing and sheetmetal.

8. Any one happen to have that issue I'm pretty shure I don't have that one and can't find the article on line

9. edfueler

edfueler

My friend and I made a pair of doors out if sheet metal as a way of learning about a (cheap, nasty) bead roller. We were real thugs about it. I figure if we could do it, anyone could.

We did the outer skin first, using an english wheel and did the folding at the top in a small brake. We shrank the upper side with lots of tucks and hammer work to put curve back that we lost in the folding process.

The inside was done with bead rolling and hole saws and, basically, we made a baking tray with a lip. We then folded the outer edge of the exterior skin over the lip, twisted it all into a compliance, when it was together and then stitched the inner and outer together with Oxy. Kinda rough but aesthetically really pleasing on a beater gow job. If I were doing it again I would use square tubing, which is what my RPU has. Quicker than all the sheet folding and with a bead roller and hole saw, you could make the interior detailing the same.
    I'll track down a picture.

10. edfueler

edfueler

1388227800820.jpg

You can see all the shrinking we did on the top of the door to put the curve in. Bending 1" square tube for framing, we do cold by hand just using the leverage of longer length of tube and cutting them to length afterwards.

Attached Files:

11. 97

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=726096

12. ChefMike

ChefMike

that was great sheet metal work

13. my idea is to segment cut the square so its easy to shape then weld it back together and weld a sheet metal edge on the frame to attach the skin to