Register now to get rid of these ads!

any one actually put castors on the rear of their lowered car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotdamn, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

They were actual casters, real fucking heavy duty ones.

2. Buzzard II

Buzzard II

One way it was done years ago was to use safe wheels, without swivels, with the heavy duty brackets already attached. Bolt them to the bottom rear of the rear frame rails. Use solid wheels if you can find them. Good luck!

3. Ive seen them in the little books also, maybe it was the moonglow that had them?

4. NuckinFutz

NuckinFutz
    from GA

We used to use them on every "lil truck" we built without adjustable suspension. It saved alot of rear rolled pans.

5. Mike Rotch

Mike Rotch
    from Easley SC

Dat's me!!!! :)

6. Mate had it in his vw combi in the front, worked very well over speed bumps.

Use the wheels off a broken hydraulic jack cause you know there strong. Or here in Australia they make them for the backs of caravans, they just go on with two U bolts.

Hope this helps.

7. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I'd cut a notch in the frame rails and weld in a 'c' notch without cutting the vertical parts of said rails. Reinforce the outside of the rails and drill a hole for an 'axle' for a small wheel. Skateboard wheels come in a buncha diameters. Noone would really notice unless they were under the car. Would look like a bolted in x-member from any other angle.

8. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

casters are a common place on lowered cars in lynwood........ and yes bags are for weed

9. Voh

Voh

It's a little O.T. But a lot of campers have them. I think it's a good idea if done properly. Hang them down just a little bit.

10. mikes51

mikes51

I welded a plate onto the bumper brackets, around where the brackets split into a Y shape.. Now you've got a flat surface that the hardware store casters can bolt onto. Mount them as far back as you can so they don't have to hang way down to work.

gnichols, pretty clean installation. I used to have a caster next to my idler arm. That idler arm hung down below the frame. It wasn't a bearing caster so it made the strangest sound when it hit. That 4 or5 inch diameter caster never was meant to spin that fast when it hit the ground at 65 mph.:)

11. badshifter

badshifter

I'd put airbags on the casters so you can lower them when needed saving the tin. That way you can piss off the anti bag guys as well as the anti scrape your bumper guys! Win Win Win

12. I've thought about doing this too when I get my car back together. So lets see some pics of mounting brackets.

On page 98 of The Rodder's Journal #53 you can see a set on a custom Chevy.

13. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Ive been needing to do this for awhile, some actul pics of set ups would be nice. Just something to keep from crushing the pipes pulling into the driveway. Did somebody say Nuggs? Im in...

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I can't believe there's a loooong thread about this. Fatman has a kit...or was it Heidt? Or...Roger Hart?
    Somebody, they got the idea from the 'Little Pages', about '54.

I put 'em on my '56 Coupe De Ville, in '65. Nobody knew they were under there, (it's a 'lesson in geometry')
    Put them in a straight line between bottom of rear tire and 'asphaltus interruptus'.
    A 'roll' is better than a 'scrape'. Ask any fat guy.

(My '36 three window was the first time I ever used 'em. 1957. They were full 3" casters, mounted under the trailing edges of rear fenders. Grandma's driveway was steeeep!)
    Don't fret it, use 'em. They work.

15. hotdamn

hotdamn

damn thanks for all of the info and support guys :)

My 59 edsel at stock height drags if I have some one in the back seat goin in to my drive way as it is so when I lower it I will definitely try this out before doing it on my 54 chevy as it is very low and has a huge 53 caddy rear bumper.

the funny think about the dank nugs is Im not that young and I dont even smoke weed, I just find it humorous.

so does any one have any more pics???

thanks mikes51 btw :)

16. y-oh-y

y-oh-y

I had to put casters on the rear of my wifes car, never liked the look of um. Replaced the casters with 1/2" plate steel, bolted vertical to the frame. The edge of the plates hung 2" below the bumper and were rarely noticed.

17. Taff

Taff

a mate of mine over here fitted them to his transmission cross member to help him over speed bumps. Apparently had to explain every years at his inspection what they were for! :)

18. XXL__

XXL__

This is a common mod for the front of C4/5/6 Vettes, and there are at least a couple of companies that offer a "bolt on kit" for them. The ones I've seen use a high durometer skateboard-type wheel.

19. isky1843

isky1843

Helped a buddy of mine install some that he "borrowed" of of a grocery cart. Seemed to work ok.

20. hotdamn

hotdamn

I was thinking that a fixed (one position) solid wheel would probably hold up better?

has any one used something softer like a skateboard wheel that didnt work out?

21. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Way back when, in my hometown, there was a '51 Merc with castors fromt and back---barely noticeable but worked well.

22. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

castErs! Castor is a bean from which CastOr Oil is extracted.

23. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

24. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I just buy new exhaust tips every year or so :p :D

25. Got a set on my '53 Chevy and I'm very happy, cuz I wouldn't have a rear bumper if I didn't! I saw it first in the "how to restyle your car" the one with the Blue Danube on the cover. I thought it was the coolest thing ever and I wanted a set of those when I build my first custom. The casters I used came from one of those big crates they use in trucks and they are about 4" in diameter. I've had them for about 16 years with little wear.
    If you look closely at the 10th pic in my profiles "lady luck" pictures you can see them.
    Klaus

26. hotdamn

hotdamn

damn I hate it when I do that!!!

oh the other thing I forgot to mention guys is the main reason I want to do this isnt about pulling in its about backing out, I have wrecked some sh*t backing out with hammered cars...

27. olskoolspeed

olskoolspeed
    from Ohio

Thanks. I guess you can teach an old dog new "slang".

28. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Not to be a wise ass, but if it's dragging maybe it's TOO low?

29. hotdamn

hotdamn

(in robot voice)

does not compute???

:)

30. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

Haha, my Edsel scraped more before I lowered it ( weird? ). We have been eyeing this for my buddies 55 Dodge. He backed into his shop from gravel to cement, caught the tail pipe, broke an exhaust manifold and bent the bumper bracket. I've seen them on the big diesel pusher motor homes, too.