Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any old guys(65 +) still build not buy their hot rods??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scrap metal 48, Dec 14, 2012.

1. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I'm 66 and still building my own.

2. sun down

sun down
    from tx

I am 72 and not building anything, no space, tools, know how but enjoy driving my 52 that I bought a few yrs ago....and a four speed at that

bet the shops are glad not all folks build their own..... right?

3. I'm nearly 64, been working on the same '29 AA since I bought it in '74, and hope to have it running in the next five years. I'm still working on all three dd's, a tractor and the hotrod, plus fixing everything that goes wrong on 24 acres. My Christmas gift to my wonderful wife will be replacing the axle assembly on her ot driver. My hotrod is my personal priority, but has never been a family priority. Someday. . . .

4. Bobp

Bobp
    from ny

I'm 70. Just finished a 29 roadster all vintage parts, full house flathead, t5, culver city H quick change. All work done buy me except leather bomber seat covers. Am now building a 50 Cad 2d ht all work will be done by me. Got to love it! I've been building since I was 12 and and will continue until I can't breath any more.

5. second_floor_loft

second_floor_loft

Will be 68 soon.. I work a little slower, don't manhandle heavy things like I used to, but I still love working on my old trucks. Just finished my 49 Willys (frame off) and got it driving. Now rebuilding an inline 6, 47 Binder is next... Along with another wooden boat. More projects! I refuse to roll over!!!

second_floor_loft

6. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I'm 73 and building my last car,31 roadster.I enjoy being around ,but don't have the motivation any more. Still in good health, just harder to bend,lift and carry on with the project. Hopefully it will get done, and I get to drive it. Just traded a 28 rpu for my current 27 kit car. Love just being able to hop in an go.

7. I'm 2 weeks off 66, and now after seeing some of these posts, I feel like a youngster. Hope I can still go on a few years yet as I've just bought a Kiwi Konnection chassis for my next project.

8. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

glad to see so many older guys who can still be building. My hope is to be spending a lot of time in the shop doing that once i get to that point. for the others who are not physically able to do a lot on their own it is good to see they have adapted to keep going with their cars too.

9. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

I,m only 62,but i still build my stuff.my lincoln was 2 years.I don't sand or paint,I hate sanding.Everything that can be done at home is.My car freinds are all older than me and they build too,some full time.One is a fantastic fabricater,he can and does work wonders for many cars.He is 66 and goes hard,Also is a big organiser of shows and the Idaho cruise.

10. 55for65

55for65
    from Michigan

68 and doing body off 55, mini tubbed, home built firewall, Ford rear end, LT1. I started this when I was 65 so it's been a slow build. Spent most of last summer installing and tuning 496 stroker in my 70 Nova 4speed car. Go til you die!!

11. 36tbird

36tbird

62 and thought that I would just finish all the current projects, 4 of them, then start restoring little projects like pedal cars and other antiques. But, I just recently decided that I might add a '27T project for the 2 year old if he shows any propensity towards turning wrenches when he gets around 12. Will have to be summer time project if he is interested in visiting during school breaks. Guess I'd be living vicariously through him, but I wish I had had a neat little roadster to go to high school in back when the dinosaurs roamed.

12. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

My dad is 69 about to be 70 a d we still build cars. He can still work rings around most any body. I do the welding as he has a pacemaker but we do all our own paint ,body , fab a d motor work in house. The neat thing is we drive them all over on road trips. It s a cool thing

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  13. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

I'm 68 and I still have several projects to finish ('32 Chevy, '32 Ford, ot '71 El Camino). I plan on retiring in 2 years so I can spend more time in the shop; God willin' and the crick don't rise. My buddy, who is still a youngster (he's 3 weeks younger than me) is working on a '40 Chevy.

14. Truckedup

Truckedup

I'm 65 although lately the builds have been O/T old Jeeps and Triumph cycles.In fact the modified vintage motorcycle builds are becoming an actual job.All the custom bits are done by hand with common tools.

15. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The last couple of years, I have been finishing off the restoration of an O/T '67 Corvette. I'm at the point now where I'm down to getting the ammeter and courtesy lights working. I am finding it impossible to work under the dash anymore. My plan is to pay someone to finish the Corvette, so I can get back to working on my flathead T-Tub. When you aren't as "flexible" as you once were, working on a rod is a lot easier than a later model car. I am designing it with a removable dash and NO courtesy lights.:D The open engine compartment, simple body with no fenders, and early Ford suspension are much easier to get at and work on.

Oh, and by the way, for me at least, the aging from 65 to 70 was major. I don't know if I could take as much physical decline in the next 5 years as the last 5. My hats are off to the guys that are 75 and older.

16. Ric Dean

Ric Dean
    from Central NY

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> .. Great thread; I’m half way through 70 and I caught this Deuce fever at 14 and I can’t stop now. This new craze of rattle can paint jobs and an open header Flathead V8 has got me stoked!
    Gotta get back to work; Later, Ric

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

17. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. Define old…I’m 53 and build/make stuff for my self and any body else that needs a hand.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

19. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

I'm 74 and on my sixth build. Ground up RPU with a hemi built in my garage

20. M56

M56
    from Minnesota

69 and countin'. Been building a 56 Ford COE 4 door pickup with duals wheels and tandum axles on and off for 15 years. Keep changing stuff to keep up with the times. I ain't quitin' 'till it's done. Wife says she can't afford a grave big enough for the both of us so I guess I'm here for the duration.

21. It's not being old that stops some of us "old guys" from building rods; it's amount of time required to build them. How much time you have left on this rock is the real point. my .02 from a 67yr "old guy".

22. 41fastback

41fastback

I'm 65 and my current project 31 A V8 has taken 6 yrs so far. I do all the work myself. These ground up projects are a lot of work now. Forty years ago I would have been on my third project in 6 yrs. Still have 2 other cars that need some work too. My dance card is full or quite a while.

23. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

70 here and still building mine and everyone else's.......hell, it's my job.......

The care and feeding of a Super Stock Ford requires me to WORK......

M.

24. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Remember when Don Imus asked Delbert McClinton to teach him to play guitar, and old Delbert replied, "you haven't got enough time left." Guess that's a consideration....but projects are still fun.

25. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

What a way to go though, laying under your hot rod with a wrench in your hand doing what you loved doing.. Sounds like a good way to go....

26. 40grit

40grit

LOL, If I am laying on my back doing what I love to be doing, Why do I have a wrench in my hand? :D

John L

27. Im 70 , still building cars, aint gonna stop soon ! fixed the cold floor problem with radient in floor heat.....

28. 2doornova

2doornova

Still work in the garage ,cant stop .Keeps me going .This will be the last one ,of corse i sead that 3 years ago. Then i bought another basket case.[58 fleetside]And 3 years later im begining to see daylight.I am 68 and still going , its in the blood. Tony

29. I always said "Shot by a jealeous husband leaving the bedroom window at age 96"................LOL:D

30. "Shot by a jealeous husband leaving the bedroom window" at age 96 .......LOL