Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any New Ideas on Stuck Carburetors?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jack orchard, May 9, 2013.

1. jack orchard

jack orchard

I have 2 Autolite 4100 4-barrel carburetors with stuck throttle shafts. Does anyone have any new ideas to free the stuck throttle shafts without destroying the aluminum carb bodies? Many thanks to all of you in advance. Thanks again, jack

2. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Yes, rebuild them.

Take everything apart, and what you can't free up spray with penetrating oil. . . if it's still stuck just put it all into a bucket of carb cleaner and wait a day or two.

3. Ole don

Ole don

I had a valuable AFB that was stuck. I drilled a tiny hole from the bottom up to the shaft until the chips turned a different color, then soaked with PB Blaster for about a week. It freed up very well.

4. carbking

carbking

We have successfully used an ultrasonic cleaner.

Those that don't come loose after the ultrasonic come loose with controlled heat.

Jon.

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Another thing...Evaporust. I think this is about the only deruster that won't hurt zinc or anything else in a car. You can safely drop in a complete carb. It will at least clear the neighborhood on the shaft, and it does have some limited penetrating ability from surfactants in the mix.
    Carb shafts in general have a bit of endways play, and tapping them sideways in both directions will sometimes get things started.

6. big M

big M

The only thing I have had work is carefully heating the steel throttle shafts, then cooling with ATF. Dissimilar metal corrosion can be a bear to unfreeze!

---John

7. slammed

slammed

Kroil. Or homemade Kroil: 50/50 Acetone & ATF. Let it soak for a long while.

8. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

There is no substitute for time, you gotta let it soak for a few days in carb cleaner or other non corrosive chemical, I have had some luck boiling carb parts in water and then allowing them to cool, the expansion and then shrinking free's them up.

9. Thats what I do. Just takes time, but always works.

10. sunbeam

sunbeam

Hey Jack try bathroom bowl cleaner.

11. jack orchard

jack orchard

Hi Paul
    You've seen my bathroom, haven't you...jack