Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects any made their own Suicide door hinges

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldchevy, Dec 12, 2009.

1. oldchevy

oldchevy

I would like to build my own hinges for my 46 chevy truck. I would like to have some specs to start with. yes, I know you can buy a set for around $200. but wheres the fun in that.

With a little scrap iron and some time in the shop you can build a dream.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used stock hinges on my 48 and swapped them side to side. Actually I cut the section with the hinges out of a junk cab and then put it in my cab.

I don't see why you can't build your own by studying photos of some that they sell and then going to work. One thing to remember is that the pins in both hinges have to be in line with each other so that the door swings right without binding.

3. Use the stock hinges and flip them from drivers front door jam to passenger rear door jam and vise-versa for the other side. worked out great for me on a 41 chevy. See my album for proof.

4. hrm2k

hrm2k

We built our own for our 51 fleetline. Not hard to do but does require a lot of thinking before doing. If we had it to do all over again, we would have done a uni-hinge instead of the 2 hinges per door like we did. I have a lot of step by step shots if you are interested. drop me a PM for the link. Here is our hinge and hinge bucket......all from scratch and all from dumpster diving steel

[​IMG]

door jam with hinge bucket

[​IMG]

completed

[​IMG]

5. oldchevy

oldchevy

Three of the stock hinges on my truck were rusted off when i found it. so starting from scratch.

6. oldchevy

oldchevy

Oh ya!!! that moment of OOHH OKAY now it all makes since. Thats one of the reasons I do this stuff.

7. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

8. skidsteer

skidsteer

I found a set of excellent plans on eBay about 2 years ago, I think the plans cost about $10-20. Step-by-step, with a list of materials.