Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any long wheelbase hotrods out there?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tiredford, May 21, 2009.

1. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

I'm talking about longer than 112". I'm building a hot rod in my head (Model A type speedster) and I'm thinking it will have to be longer than 112". Are there any reasons this would be bad? Any pictures would be nice, thanks.

2. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

I have a Model A sedan... stretched 4" to make it about 117"... stock Model A is 113"...

3. If you make it way longer, it'll need a longer heavier frame, you might need to mess with the steering geometry to get it to turn correctly, and it'll corner a little more like a school bus or a limousine. Might be easier to keep it going straight though.

I guess it just depends on how much longer you want to make it.

4. Sixguns

Sixguns

my 36 LaSalle is 120"

Attached Files:

5. sxdxmike

sxdxmike

just to clarify... stock model a is only 103 inches.

6. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

Ha.. you are right... so mine is only 107!! :)

7. t-vicky

t-vicky
    from Kansas

8. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

That's freakin hilarious:D

9. BigDfromthe303

BigDfromthe303

28 tudor 120" here.

10. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

How about a truck?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

When I was a kid I dreamt one up. A T tub, dark grey/silver metallic, with a black interior and slightly dhopped rag top. 6-71 blown hemi in front. In fact, the front is the motor forward of a traditional FED like Tony Nancy's 22 Jr. FED front body work, so a long nose, with the traditional chrome front axle and spoke wheels. Would be a mile long. This was literally a dream, and the car was mine, entered in a car show.

12. Here's a friend of mine's T roadster on a 118" wheelbase chassis.The body is also widened 6" and lengthened 8".Put out close to a thousand hp and would twist the Currie axle housings regularly.Scariest car I ever rode in;would break the tires loose at 50 mph.

Attached Files:

13. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Stock Model A Ford wheelbase is 103 1/4".

14. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Mine is presently 111"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. 130 inches, the quarter eliptical front springs kick the axle out a foot, other than turning radius and having to be careful on ramps I like it. Handles nice on the open road and recovers easly from a slide. Yea I know, it's a little out of place in this show.

16. hogbldr1

hogbldr1
    from ohio

this one is 125 inch wheelbase

Attached Files:

17. THIS GUY is building 1963 Pontiac Catalina Wagon Limo Airporter using a FWD Toronado transaxle and a big block 500 cadillac.. Along w/stretching the front sheet metal...joe

[​IMG]

18. I set my '34 at 116". Proportion was my main goal. Not too tart, not too sweet.

19. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

My '31 A project is being planned with a 116" wheelbase. The extra 12½" is all between the radiator and the firewall. The look I want needs that sort of proportions: I want the A pillars at or slightly behind the midpoint of the wheelbase. The frame is also to be z'd about 9" at around the hood latches, and underslung at the rear, to raise the fenders in relation to the grille and hood (full fenders but no running boards).

Mike Miller, your T has more than a bit of GN feel to it:
    [​IMG]
    Cool!

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  20. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

21. I'm liking this car, I thought about quarter eliptical springs but went with the underslung idea instead, does add a heap to the wheelbase though. Like you have said it would make it a lot easier to recover from a slide, and i would expect more stable at speed.

[​IMG]

22. rainh8r

rainh8r

My 48 DeSoto Suburban is 139.5" w/b. My 34 Ford BB flatbed is 157" w/b, both running SBC power.

23. Killer

Killer