Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any iron workers here?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SICBOY, Feb 13, 2008.

1. SICBOY

SICBOY

Just have some questions, about getting into the iron workers union,

2. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i have a buddy thats a union iron worker . what you wanna know ?

3. SICBOY

SICBOY

Is it hard to get into this type of work? do you have to know someone to get?

4. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

if your in the L.A. area...google ironworkers local 416

5. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

I'm a Union Sheetmetal Worker, find the local Union hall and fill out an ap, hope work is good there. Probably will have to serve a 3-5 yr apprenticeship, be ready for it.You must be a bit on the crazy side to wanna walk the iron!! Good luck.

6. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

yup i just turned 28 been an ironworker since '98. all i can ask is WHY? doesnt a nice heated and air conditioned desk job sound better? ive never been on that side of the world but in theory it does "sound" better.

7. Rocket Ride

Rocket Ride

Pay Buddy Pay!!! UINION DUES FOREVER EVEN IF YOUR NOT WORKING.

8. TxRat

TxRat

Im not an Iron worker but my field of work has me working with them. Crazy bunch for sure....

9. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

you have any idea just how much you pay for monthly dues, or just how much you get out of it?

10. I'll pay my union dues and make a good living, you work your nonunion job and make chicken scratch.
    ( at least us "blue collar" guys)

11. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

My daddy was an ironworker for most of my life. It is a crazy life but a good one. You'll definitely put in a hard days work everyday. At least out there you won't have to deal with snow and ice like they do back here.
    I have some great memories of spending time with him on jobsites. Of course those were the pre OSHA days...
    I know at least around here it helps if you know somebody to 'get you in' to both the local and a company. Good luck!

12. Seriously Dude
    Your nuts!!
    I say that cause I tried to be an Ironworker. My wifes dad and uncle are both retired union ironworks. I made it like 3 weeks before I couldn't get out of bed. Really I couldn't. Being in Cali don't think you'll be walking the red iron. Most likely you'll be a rodbuster. Try this: Bend over at the waist and touch your toes for 2 hours take a 10 min smoke break touch you toes for another 2 have a 30min lunch now back to touching your toes till the 8 hours is up. My already f ed up back couldn't handle it. Remember all that rebar is hand tied. Its a great job (good pay, benefits, vacation pay) if you have the "heart" for it
    Good luck
    Justin

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if you want to work for a living try the elevator union. I.U.E.C. .. International Union of Elevator Constructors. Mechanics are making $45.00 plus an hour.

I did it for 2.5 years and got laid off... could have gone back in but didn't. once your in your in... companies can not hire a new person if a union memebr is on the bench, so even the fuckups keep working.

between falling and people dropping shit on you down the hoistway it is one of the most dangerous construction jobs out there.