Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any interest in 57 Mercury's out there?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by de Kuijer, Dec 4, 2010.

1. 'Mo

'Mo

How about this one, built by Jack Simon in 1958.
    Check out those headlights.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

[​IMG] Let's see if this works... Can someone show me how to pos pix?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  3. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

any help would be appreciated....

4. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

Ok I figured out how to add pictures to my album. How do I post them here? You guys gotta see this turnpike cruiser!!!

5. Rikster

Rikster

Here is how!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

Thanks man!!!Hambers rule!! What do ya think?

7. froghawk

froghawk

Nice looking car but I think there's some rust (and maybe bondo) hiding in the bottom of those doors.

I've always liked the '57-'58 Mercurys, plain jane models, Montereys, Montclairs and the showboat T'pike Cruisers and especially the hardtop wagons. You gotta appreciate the late '50s craziness in the fact that the Turnpike Cruiser wasn't long enough, so they had to come with the even-longer Park Lane in '58.

8. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

I agree about the rust but it can be fixed. It would be too expensive for me if it were perfect. The guy also sent me pictures underneath. I am sure it will need new rockers but good catch and thanks.. Long and Low. If both cars were stock at a light in 57 next to 54 chevy say it would look like custom car.. Way Kool!!

9. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

This Watson one is Bad Ass... I like these cars. They just have to have the right paint and stance.

10. This Mercury is a fine example of the genius that was Larry Watson. He is missed.............E

11. staysick

staysick
    from Buffalo NY

4dr turnpike, and monterey, both with the 368yblock[​IMG]same monterey pictured above[​IMG]
    a wonderful summer cruiser

12. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

13. 231ramona

231ramona

I had 5 back in the late 70's. The most I paid for any of them was $900 for a Colony Park that I drove all through college. I had a lot of fun in that one. 4 of us drove my 2 door Montclair to Daytona Beach for springbreak in 1978 and it performed flawlessly. We parked on the beach in the morning and decided to sleep since we had driven all night. The other guys grabbed the seats so I opened the trunk and streched out in there. I woke up about noon and it had to be 120 degrees in there. We walked several miles up the beach and when we got back the tide had come in and water was up in the floors. A bunch of people were trying to push her back out of the water. The first 57 Merc I had was a Turnpike Cruiser pace car convertible. I bought it for $400 and it was driveable (barely). It was over 700 miles away and a friend and I pulled it home behind his old Econoline. Amazing what you will do when you are 18-19 years old. I sold it in the early 1980's for $1000 to a guy from Indianapolis. They are certainly worth more now than they were then.

In short, I highly recommend 1957 Mercs! I particularly like the 368's but a good 312 works pretty good as well.

14. I'm a Turnpike lover

15. GEEZZER

GEEZZER

I love those cars. My pop wanted a Turnpike Cruiser so bad he could taste it. Of coarse we couldn't afford it back then. Later,before he died he got a big T-bird,that made him happy

16. John Stimac

John Stimac

I found this Montery pheaton [ 4-door hardtop] in about 1983 with 50,000 actual miles on it for $1000.00. I installed a set of N.O.S. front fenders, replaced a few trim pieces, painted the entire white bottom, new tires and new hubcaps, and traded it for a 35 Ford woody in pieces, sold the woody for a super profit. But I still liked the Merc, and kinda miss it.

Attached Files:

17. There's 5 HAMBers on the HAMB Merc Club with 57's. You can check out the members list and see who they are. And you can join up after you get that one....

18. I've always thought they were pretty damn cool! The only time ever see one is at the Mercury show here in Anaheim.

19. 61 chevy

61 chevy

go for it, but might be a hard sell later

20. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

I can see that it would be hard to sell one since most people have never heard of a turnpike cruiser. I think if you had one at a big event like the GoodGuys in Columbus you could find a buyer.. They are SOOO much cooler in person than in a picture.. I think they look custom bone stock, especially with a set of cruiserskirts and a continental kit!!

21. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

Can you think of a cooler name for a car than Turnpike Cruiser?? I am a bit biased as we had a black 58 wagon with red interior when I was a tyke...

22. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

The emblem is very COOL too!! Anyone got any pix?

23. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

24. westase1

westase1

My Montclair

Attached Files:

25. Damn that looks pretty cool, i think i like the single headlight version better.
    The louvers make it look a bit meaner too.
    I dig it.
    Kyle

26. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

Hi, I'd first like to add that I'm 19, and I just bought a 1957 Mercury Monterey 4 door exactly a week ago. Push button drive is quite cool, this is the first car I've ever driven with push button shifting! The 312 runs real nice. Are there any other teenagers out there fixing up Mercs?

Thank you for starting this thread! Glad to see others also fixing up '57 Mercs out there. As one would expect on this forum by no surprise, I'll do the traditional kustom treatment through lowering, '57 Dodge spinner hubcaps, and cruiser skirts, etc.

Anyone else out there shooting to do a '57 Merc period-correct (maybe an East Coast look of a mild kustom treatment one would see in about 1959 or 1960?)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  27. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

Nice Cars!!! I've read that the Cruiser was one of the longest production cars built at 20 ft. Is this true?

28. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

I think you are right! Even longer with a continetal kit!

29. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

How about some pictures of your car?
    Glad to see a younger person doing his car traditional!

30. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois