Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any info on this Mr Gasket "Quick Change" cover?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1970malibu, Nov 25, 2012.

1. 1970malibu

1970malibu
    from Minnesota

Never owned one of these and probably never will but I have seen pictures of these "Quick change" style mr gasket aluminum rear end covers for 12 bolt chevy and have always wondered what is the point of them. Are they just basically to give the rear a different look with no function at all except for maybe extra fluid capacity? I've searched all over the internet and can't find any info on them.

[​IMG]

2. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

wow that is ugly! I think I remember seeing those at the local speed shop back in the late seventies or eighties. Or I might be dreaming. Sur is hidius though.

3. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

There are some fairly decent LOOKING QC-style rear end covers. That one is NOT on the list. Appears to have been designed by someone that had only seen a true QC as it headed down the road at a good clip. That pseudo-case is way too boxy and there's insufficient detail to do anything but make folks point and laugh.

4. Then back to the first obvious question...WHY? Like nobody is going to figure out it's a fake with another set of bolts right around the "cover"...

5. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

:eek::eek::eek:!!! Another one of the reasons I'm still
    trying to forget "the '70's"!!!!:D

Mart3406
    -------------------
    P.S. I think you may have just solved the
    mystery of what was in that box that the
    late, poor 'old 'Phil Harris found "a floating
    in the bay
    "!!! You are DOOMED!!! :eek::eek::D

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/h2H6qC23RPY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    =============

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  6. I think I saw one of those on a gas stove once:rolleyes:

7. Looks like something you'd find on a 1970 Malibu. Sorry. I couldn't resist. Hahaha.
    Actually, it's not just a poor execution. The whole concept is terrible.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

8. oldschool59

oldschool59

I used to have a speed shop back in the early 80's , this was from a time when Mr.G and others were running a bunch of fake stuff,fake bug catcher scoop,rear end covers, pretend bolt in roll bars etc.Just trying something different.Those were the days that emissions started to take over heavily and show not go was becoming more popular! Sad days indeed.

9. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Good call, now that you have reminded me (us?) of those so-called "final days" of the muscle car era, I can recall all that silly crap.

dj

10. DaddyO's..Deuce

DaddyO's..Deuce
    from Missery

Looks like something off Robby the robot:p

11. 1970malibu

1970malibu
    from Minnesota

Thanks for all the replies and laughs. I agree it is pretty hideous looking. Just was wondering about them as like I said, you can't find any info about them.

12. japar

japar
    from Seekonk Ma

Looks like a mint in the box rare NOS vintage part to me , to bad its worth more in scrap than what you could sell it for. I recall seeing only one back in the day on a car which I don't remember but the owner had fake sideburns and was wearing plad bell bottom pants and a pastel blue shirt with black mondo shoes with big heels. He also had a rainbow decal in the rear window!

13. RichG

RichG

Put a pad inside it, rivet on some straps, and wear it as a helmet when you cruise you 'tangmobile down the strip.

I'll give you $5 for it, plus shipping, just because I would make it into a helmet to wear.

14. 1970malibu

1970malibu
    from Minnesota

It's on ebay right now at $100 with 2 bids and a day left.

15. RichG

RichG

Yeah, but they're not going to do something cool with it and make a helmet.:p

16. Would be good as an industrial strength dog bowl!

Last for years. ;);):D:D

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I saw one on a car back in the late 70's/early 80's and yes, guys were laughing at it. Kinda like those fake "zoomie" pipes strapped to sides of a 4 door car. Very funny indeed.

18. Big Bad Dad

Big Bad Dad

Reminds me of a guy I know. He used to wire a chrome Dana 60 rear cover plate over the back of the 8-3/4 rear in his Mopar. :rolleyes:

19. RichG

RichG

Just goes to show that there's a butt for every seat.

20. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Well, we can easily fix the details here; just drill & tap a few holes for some bolts around the edge. That leaves only the fundamental error of taste, utter lack of knowledge of both proportion and function of what was being imitated, and some shoddy execution, which can be easily addressed with only a big hammer.

21. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I used to think they were too corny when they first came out. Now, I'm not sure. A finned aluminum cover and extra oil capacity can help cool down the differential. Overheating can be a problem when towing a trailer .

22. I made something myself today that looked better than that, but I flushed it. At least I didnt post pics of my turd. :rolleyes:

23. RichG

RichG

You should've put it on Ebay, apparently it's the clearinghouse for turds and turd-like products.

24. 117harv

117harv

Final price on ebay $162.00......:cool:

25. Only thing thats good for is to be melted down and used for some good part you make at home..............3.50 a lb scrap price

26. k9racer

k9racer

On the plus side...As Rusty O tool said in a previous post that you could have extra oil capicty and the fins would cool the oil. Many many years I ran the stock looking finned alum 10 and 12 cover on several circle track cars just for what I thought was the cooling factor.

27. After reading the various posts on this thread I happened to notice a near new Nissan ute (that's pickup truck for the US folk) with a finned alloy cover on the back of the diff housing.

I can just see a change in the marketing angle and the prices will now sky rocket! ;);)

28. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I have built real quick changes for about $250. It's not easy and you can't be in a hurry. But if you scrounge and do everything yourself you can have the real deal pretty cheap.

Kind of like fake titties, they just don't sound the same!