Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any ideas to cover old molding holes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greasy53, Feb 27, 2012.

1. greasy53

greasy53

Ok, don't have the cash to get all the old molding holes filled on my 53 ford customline. I like the look of the car without the old molding on it. I painted her sky blue.

Any ideas on how to mask, cover or disguise the holes?

I'm thinking sticker flames would be shitty looking....lol!

2. Muttley

Muttley

Anything you do to cover them is going to look worse than just leaving the holes open.

3. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

maybe some chrome bullets?

4. You already painted the car?,,how about duct tape?:D

Seriously,,,unless you use some sort of stick on black or chrome molding to run from the front to the rear of the car or individual plugs to fill the holes would be the only option I can think of. HRP

5. You could put on some really rad bolt on skulls from the Biker Shop :D

6. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

just tell people there speed holes.

7. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Drill more holes all around them so it looked like you made them on purpose..or maybe tint some bondo with your paint and fill them that way!

8. Well, the right way to do it would be to grind the paint back off, back the holes with a piece of copper, and either fill them up with weld, or weld in small pieces of sheetmetal to fill them. A less desirable, but sometimes workable way to do it also would be to use body filler - I've read lots of bad about it but I've also seen bigger rust holes filled with it with no obvious ill effect.

9. Mike W.

Mike W.

Another option is to solder plugs from the inside if possible, just don't use acid core solder.

10. Get some of those spikes that are on dog collars .... that would look really cool PLUS it would keep the squeegie-man away from your car. ... just a thought.

11. You could put lots of those "bullet hole" stickers on them.

That would be Kickass....

12. williebill

williebill

Nothing you can do that won't look like hell. just leave them,and if you ever paint again,weld them shut first. I'd much rather see the holes than some halfass attempt to fill them.

13. Special Ed

Special Ed

14. Cerberus

Cerberus

You put the cart before the horse. I suggest putting the trim back on. Otherwise, weld the molding holes closed with plugs and repaint. Filling the holes with bondo won't last. I welded the molding holes closed with plugs on my '55, ground flush, very light coat of body filler, primer, later painted.

15. Get a real hot pin-up model to stand in front of them - Nobody will even notice that you have a car!

16. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Play Dough, you can get it in different colors.

17. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

One word.

Attached Files:

18. metal man

metal man

X2. Either cover them with the moldings or nothing at all.

19. greasy53

greasy53

after reading the responses, I guess just leaving them is the way to go...not to say there weren't some funny ideas..lol..dog collar spikes...LOL, bullet hole stickers...LOL...funny shit.

20. Crankhole

Crankhole

21. 60 ford

60 ford

I'd just put the moldings back on until I could repaint it, and then fix the holes.

22. If you don't want to weld the holes. You could cut some small patches of metal and use 3M panel bond to attach them . Then a small amount of filler and of course primer then paint.

23. nofin

nofin
    from australia

Holes down the side? Just tell people it's a Buick.

24. metalman

metalman

I must admit I'll never understand taking chrome off a car and filling the holes unless it's to put moldings from another make on it. I guess my thought are why would you want to make your car look like a cheaper one. You have a Customline, why turn it into a plain jane Mainline? Polish out your trim and put it back on!

25. x10000.