Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any Ideas On Sealer?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by old wood 51, Oct 6, 2007.

1. old wood 51

old wood 51
    from NAPA CA.

I've done the drive train stuff, drove the car for the first time yesterday, since buying it last nov. 216 runs pretty good trans is solid ,new brakes work great now it's time to do the rust repair/replacement of the lower areas- primer surfacer ,got that covered but any ideas about a tintable sealer i'm not gonna paint the car anytime soon and i not sure if i want to go the standard DP route $$ is a factoring issue not cheap just middle of the road.
    Thanks for your time, Brian;)

2. If you put anything on it that won't be stable under a top coat, yer screwn' up! That means no uncatalized enamels, but lacquers and two part paints and primers are good.

3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

DP does have several "colors" available...best stuff to use IMO...

"A chain is only as strong as its weakest link." See above post for an explanation...

R-

4. 40chev

40chev

I haven't done it myself but I have heard of guys mixing a qt of clear laquer with a gallon of primer and using that as a sealer...The clear will add a bit of sheen and also seal the pours in the primer.....If you use a light grey primer you can add a spot of candy concentrate or some laquer paint to the mix to add some color....Just don't try mixing laquers.enamels and/or urethanes together....

I would suggest using epoxy primer.....I've heard good things about Kirker epoxy primer and it is alot cheaper than DP......A 2 gal kit on ebay for under $100 shipped....

5. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

DuPont 1980 S sealer - shrinkwrap in a can.
    Waterthin - no reducing.
    Perfectly clear when dry.