Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Any Idea What These Are For?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bchctybob, Nov 23, 2017.

1. bchctybob

bchctybob

I recently bought a '28 Highboy which triggered a giant clean up and re-organization of my shop. I ran across a few items that I can't identify:
    I found this little draw-string bag with these little stamped tools in an old box full of old Oldsmobile bolts and stuff, some have a braided wire attached. Any idea what they are for?
    Also I found a few Mallory flattop distributors that I've collected over the years. I used to buy any that I found cheap at swap meets so I would have parts to keep mine running. The long one is for Olds I believe (what year?), but can anyone I.D. them for certain?
    Left to right the numbers are; YC 501 H, YC 312 HP, YC 389 HP
    Thanks in advance.
    IMG_0650.JPG IMG_0648.JPG

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That may be a (partial) set of oil deflector clips for setting valves.

3. ironrodder

ironrodder

That was my first thought too.

4. bchctybob

bchctybob

I thought about that but I looked up the ones they used to sell for Chevy rockers and they don't look right. The material is kinda thick.

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Correct, nothing like any Chevy clips I've had/seen but he did say they were in a box of misc. Olds stuff and having no Olds experience it was just a guess.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  6. squirrel

squirrel

7. bchctybob

bchctybob

There's that post with the numbers! Thanks Jim, I searched for that but didn't find it. Of course the page with the 500 series numbers seems to be missing. I'll look again on the computer when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. bchctybob

bchctybob

From the charts in Jim's link above, the 312 Mallory is a 301-455 Pontiac, but the charts are missing the pages for the 501 and the 389. Anyone have the missing page?
    The clips; could they be some kind of little tool to help assemble valves, guides and springs on Model T or some other early engine? Somebody knows....

9. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Screenshot_20171123-232913.jpg Looks like the 389 and the 501 are both Oldsmobile

10. bchctybob

bchctybob

Thanks Black Panther, just the info I was looking for. I need a YC-250 for the '56 324 I'm putting together, wouldn't you know, I have two Olds Mallory distributors but not the one I need. I'm wondering if the YC-250 and the YC-389 are dimensionally the same.
    I amazed at how many different applications Mallory covered, they made a distributor for just about everything!

11. could be the drive gear. seems I recall they changed from a D drive to octagon. I have a YC250 on the shelf going in my 324. If you need me to look at I will be happy to.