Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any idea what i should pay for this (42 ford)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iFlip, May 30, 2011.

1. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

Well I'm going to go out on a limb again and ask a crazy question for you HAMBers.

I've had my eye on this truck for awhile now, and we happened to find it eariler. Long story short the guy doesn't know what he wants for it. So maybe yall can help me.

It has a 305 from an 80's malibu. It doesn't run at the moment, the guy the guy is lost because of the wiring from the emissions crap on it. It does turn over though. The body is pretty straight, only a little bondo by the tailgate, and a little on the hood. Paint isn't perfect. No major rust, just places where the paint has scratched off. Interior has been redone, just needs to be cleaned off real good. Has some ugly 20' wheels on it. Was last driven in 08, then the motor that was in it siezed up and he swaped the current one in and has sit since then.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you guys think i should offer him?

2. gasser300

gasser300
    from Ft Worth

did they make 42's?

3. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep! Production of 1942 models ended in around February of 1942. They made limited runs for essential civillian services throughout the war for Doctors, farmers, etc.

4. gasser300

gasser300
    from Ft Worth

Gotcha.

Thats a sweet truck.

5. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

That's what you'd pay for it as is? I think i may have run into some pretty good luck if so...:D
    That's a pretty cool fact to know!

6. gasser300

gasser300
    from Ft Worth

I just shot out a number. So you are saying that you can buy it for much less.

Looking at your handle, I can see what youre gonna do with it.

7. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

Well the guy said he paid 8 thousand for it, and posted it for that much in the ad, but he said he knows he won't get that for it cause it was a driver when he bought it. But he doesn't know what he wants for it really..

And if you're talking about my name, It's just one i've used on all the forums i've used over the years. If i were to buy this truck, i would get it drive-able, and drive it 'till the wheels fall off.

8. Fenders

Fenders

"... Long story short the guy doesn't know what he wants for it...."

And he don't know what it's worth and he don't know what he'll take and he'll think whatever you offer is too low and he'll go to his grave with it.......
    IMHO the seller should come up with a number first.

9. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

The best fair way to come up with a price, is to total the value of the parts. What would it cost you to duplicate it? Then deduct for wear and tear. Maybe he could keep the wheels and tires and deduct a little? Hard to be the buyer and the seller both.

10. wickedgoodracer

wickedgoodracer

$2500-$5000 won't buy much around this area i have a 42 big truck it had 7.50 20 tires[37 inch] now has 8.25 20 tires[40 inch]
    i know it's a 42 because i have the old registration from 1960 when dad sold it and several early70s and some late 90s from the guy dad sold it to.it came home a few years ago this is 1 of the 7 engines it had worn out in 50 years.gave all the water boilin' henerys to the the Fantasy raceway gang,i like stovebolts and GMCs

Attached Files:

11. gasser300

gasser300
    from Ft Worth

You can sell the 20" wheels and put that into new stuff. Get the 305 running and have a nice, rare truck.

12. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

If you really want that truck, and it is mechanically sound...I wouldn't screw around...
    Give him the $8K and enjoy it, before someone else comes in and takes it away....
    Cheers, and good luck,

13. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

Anyone else?

14. mt shasta steve

mt shasta steve

I paid $15,000 for mine and thought I got a STEAL! You could put $2,000 into it to get it just how you want and still be way ahead of the market. You might consider just S--- canning the 305, bolting a 350 in its' place and drive the wheels off it.

15. Honestly I wouldn't give more than about $5,000 for it.
    I have seen 41 trucks that were in running condition, but about the same otherwise go for $7,500-10,000 (in fact I bought one) and they are much better looking and more desirable.
    Just my nickels worth

16. brad chevy

brad chevy

You will have to buy tires and wheels,do something with the front grill,no telling how bad the wiring is screwed. 80s 305 not worth messing with. Offer the guy $6500 and see what he says.If you want a truck that bad shop around. Your money,your decision.You said the guy knew he wouldn"t get the $8000 out of it not being a driver.

17. A Model Man

A Model Man
    from S.Carolina

Its worth what your willing to pay if this is what you want! Not running I'd have to offer a god bit less. If you do get it .insure it well! Rare models have parts hard to come by. This is only my opinion and I'm told its not worth much!

18. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

That is what I was thinking as well.

19. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

20. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

what looks fairly easy may be more than you want to take on right now-sounds like you can handle repaint, but what about body work? take a magnet to it and likely more rust than meets the eye. may be hard to find replacement parts. don't rely on the engine installed being worth keeping. type/condition of trans/rearend/suspension/brakes/wiring kit/etc. what is your budget? don't go deep in debt up front unless you have more $$ for parts, etc. don't just throw a number out, but $8K is way too high.

21. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Doesn't know what he wants for it=he wants too much.