Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Any idea how they sealed the firewall here?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Kevin Lee, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I had pretty much settled on a traditional tunnel setup but something like this might simplify things and help solve some fabrication problems. (while creating a few new ones at the rear of the car where the torque tube is moving up and down) But... I thought I'd fish for some ideas here.

Solid mounted? Or is it even really sealed at all?

[​IMG]

2. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

I like the setup Kevin, but don't really understand the question. Is what sealed?

3. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Looking at the shape it seems it isn't actually sealed...just filler panels cut very close.

4. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

My T is set up the same way... it's not sealed yet, but I plan on using a leather boot, like around a shifter only bigger for both the torque tube and around the trans.

That one looks like they've got a piece of rubber that contacts around the trans sandwiched between the firewall and those panels bolted to it around the trans...

5. 117harv

117harv

^^^ This would be my guess as well. That trans aside from being $$$ is a thing of beauty, well, atleast to me. I like the open setup, adds a whole bunch of detail, i'm guessing there is a plate for the drivers feet to rest on that isn't pictured?

6. Why Bother? It isn't like you are going to be fording rivers, right? The top isn't air tight either. As far as "firewall" in reality how often does and engine catch fire?

7. It looks like there is rubber coated panels in the bottom that protect your feet from falling out on the road.

8. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Doesn't look sealed but I think you'd have more work involved in keeping all that yellow paint clean and touched up from your shoes than you would in rolling a simple trans tunnel and small floorpan.

It does look trick, but other detractors may be a hot right foot from resting against the trans. My luck, I'd kick out a brake line.
    Brake linkage looks busy; wondering why the builder didn't spin the master 180 to save on linkage work?

9. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

looks trick, looks "sealed" with rubber.

As allready said though if its driven youll be touching up that paint all the time. that and I'd be afraid of getting my foot caught on the MC and or in the lines and brake rod.

Cool, yes, driveable, not so much

10. 60 Belair

60 Belair

Looks rubber sealed Thats gonna be a short trip car, lotta heat! looks cool tho...

11. Paul

Paul
    Editor

does look like it might be a gasket sandwiched like a surface mounted door sweep.
    it would reduce engine fumes and excess heat on a summer day

other questions though,
    where do the drivers feet rest?

and what is that?
    an early hemi in front of the '37 LaSalle transmission?

12. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

That is a pretty cool looking setup, and has me thinking that some sprint car, or Indy roadster technology might work well in a roadster. For example, an engine plate doubling as a firewall.

13. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

That looks like a Marty Strode build. Either way, perhaps he will chime in here. And this car appears more of a street car than a racer so some sort of flexible seal could in be there somewhere. It would probably be a little easier to get close tolerances if the engine was solidly mounted, eh?

As you know I'm sure, in them famous, moldy and golden days of old, there was no firewall sealing to worry about, or floor boards for that matter, in many sanctioning bodies and especially in oval track racing. I remember watching races where you could see the driver's feet working the pedals and there was open steel grating for floors ahead of the seat! They had half-helmets, goggles, bandanas, T-shirts, and Jeans. And often a cigar or cigarettes for long cautions. They didn't need no stinking firewalls! Gary

14. I like this idea!!!!!!!!!!

15. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

We have a winner ^^^^^^^^^^

Seen that done many times before, it's an engine plate doubling as a firewall.

16. wonder what that clock came out of?

17. Fenders

Fenders

Dunno but the speedometer looks like it might be out of a diesel semi.

Or is that a tac?

18. Considering the fact that the back of the trans has a solid mount, I'm going to guess that the engine is mounted solid as well. As far as whether or not there is a seal, someone's going to have to find a pic of other side of the firewall... and I really like the setup, too :D

19. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Yeah, all that exposed brake system hardware makes me think the same thing about the floorpan. Also digging the Harley-Davidson style master cylinder from Big Twins up thru 1972, and the brakelight switch looks just like the one on my '72 Sportster.

20. I'm with these guys too.

21. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

22. do you hit the stomp dimmer with your hand or bring your leg all the way back to adjust?

23. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

24. alchemy

alchemy

I remember this car when it was first built, about late-'80's-ish. Dutch finished it in green primer as a well-built car with a thrown-together look. Just like all of his cars. TONS of details all over the thing, with a combo of parts that would have you scratching your head for days. But they all FIT.

He told me they put it together and drove it to the Nationals the next weekend.

I heard he sold it later (or traded it) to a new car dealer, and was commissioned to "finish" it. Lots of extras were added at that time which I think didn't really "add" to the car. Some cycle fenders, a hood, tin covers in spots, and the shiney paint. But it is still an amazing car. I've never seen it out at any events since the rebuild, just in the mags mentioned.

It has a baby hemi attached to a LZ trans (with a '34 rear mount, there's rubber in there), and Ford iron making up the rest of the drivetrain and suspension. Car sits very low, with attitude oozing out every joint. Has been an inspiration for me ever since.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  25. linechaser32

linechaser32
    from Iowa

I believe that car was built by Dutch Eshelman. Its in a collection of the Dahl family in Davenport ,Iowa. It is cut tight to the firewall and has a small seal. Its. Very outstanding car.

26. Paul

Paul
    Editor

'didn't catch it the first time but, I love the big clock in the dash-right where you need it!

is Gee even a word? :p

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  27. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Gee Paul, you would think an Editor would know how to punctuate...

28. alchemy

alchemy

A relative of Bruce Dahl, formerly of Blue Grass?