Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Any Hotrod musicians out there?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fomoco31, Oct 5, 2011.

1. fomoco31

fomoco31

Firstly, if any mods deem this off topic, I apologize. I've always associated hot rods with good music. When I see a 30-50's hot rod, The Ventures, Dick Dale, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, and other similar artists pop into my head. In saying that, what's your go-to hotrod gear. My dad gave me this 68' Twin Reverb for my birthday earlier this year. Its an early 68' and still has the blackface circuitry. It needs speakers and tubes and I'll have it crankin' pretty soon. My weapons of choice are a 2005 USA Standard Telecaster and USA 1998 Standard Les Paul. I had two wait over two months for both of these to come in due to me being a southpaw.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I play in a traditional rock n roll trio (see my signature) and I feel that the music definately goes hand in hand with the cars.

As for me, I play an Epiphone Zephyr Blues Deluxe guitar run through a U.S. Fender Tweed Blues Deluxe amp. They just barely fit into the trunk of my Pontiac ;)

3. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

i play a fairly new sunburst strat thru a 1965 super reverb with out board fender reverb tank. back up guitar is a 72 thin line tele. always have played in cover bands. also got a black face band master with a 2x12 cabinet, and a blonde trimolux ,2x10 cabinet. haul them in my 64 econoline true panel van. it can be seen at google; econowest 2005-2011. its the red primer one with the narrowed rear, et spokes up front.

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Both of my Sons play Sax and turned professional when they were 18. Don plays the baritone in a rock/blues band.

[​IMG]

And Dan (Dodgerodder on here) plays the alto, and his band mostly plays weddings and private parties, so I rarely get to see him play. :(

[​IMG]

Don

5. Deuces

Deuces

I have a Telecaster also....

6. www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/<WBR>showthread.php?t=33234

7. Yep. I play double bass and vocals in a rock n roll trio, an art deco duo and a blues/jazz group and bass guitar in a country band. All are working bands.

[​IMG]

8. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

please answer me this, why is a upright bass called a "double bass"?

9. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

I play grassroots country and rockabilly at an open mic every week. 59' Gretsch and a fender Hotrod-deville.

10. hotrod_32

hotrod_32

Been beatin my ass off,last 20 sum years ! Can't imagine life with out my music.

Attached Files:

11. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

I play drums for Los Straitjackets, The Hi-Risers, some times Deke Dickerson, JD McPherson, Wanda Jackson, and Marti Brom... needless to say i go long stretches without family/kids/hotrod...

Attached Files:

12. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I play bass in a rock band........I play a 60's inspired Fender P built from spare parts scrounged here and there.......like a traditional hot rod! My amp is o/t in comparison though: it's a TC Electronic RH450 through a stack of 212's. Thump galore. We gig once/twice per month for fun and beer money.

13. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I make noise with lectric guitars.....a Tele Classic Vibe with a P90, a P90 335 semi hollow, an Artcore with hot buckers, a '65 Tesco Del Rey, a '65 Strat and an under construction Ibby RG with all Tele stuff on it.

14. davo461

davo461

I play Jazz,Trad, Bluegrass, Celtic on a Double Bass, made in Paris circa 1820. I also play Bass guitar but prefer the real thing. lol

15. musicrodder

musicrodder
    from Upstate NY

Been playing guitar since 1988, been in various bands over the years, and always enjoyed hot rods.

16. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

17. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

I play bass for a few bands. Here's my current line up

[​IMG]

Probably the first and last lefty 7 string bass anyone will ever see ;)

18. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I dig that Fodera. Verrrrrrrrrrry nice! That flamed maple neck is sweet.

19. mlagusis

mlagusis

Just sold my 60's Jazzmaster guitar and 68 Feender Bandmaster amp...and an ep-1 echo plex.

20. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

65 'Fender Mustang
    65'Fender Jazz Bass
    Custom shop '59 P Bass..(my regular weapon of choice)

I've led my life with two religions. Cars and Music. nothing else nothing more, its why i do what i do.

21. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

Thanks!! It's an F bass (" BN5 "), much like fodera, but hand made in Hamilton Ontario. They make incredible basses. It doesn't matter where you play on the fretboard, they just have a butter touch. It makes the 7 string feel like some Peavey pos. You should try one if you have the chance, it's pretty cool! Instantly when I first picked it up, it's so easy to play these hard bits which were once quite hard to play well, just were made so easy! I never thought a bass could do that or play like that but I was blown away.
    Very very fast fretboard!

I'm going to get them to make me a 7 string, but when funds allow. Worth every cent though, trust me :)

22. dirtydixon

dirtydixon

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IFNvKvU6KeU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is one of my bands.
    I play guitar in this one.

23. weirdrum

weirdrum

I have been drumming for 10 years. I have a silver sparkle RMV drum kit, made in Brazil, and kinda rare in the USA. They stopped their production around 2007 or 2008. Its a shame cause they sound excellent!! I have tried guitar, but never caught on! Much respect for all musicians :)

24. larryj

larryj
    from Madison AL

I play in a jazz big band, a jazz quartet, a Latin jazz band, the host band for the local jam session, and my church's contemporary Praise and Worship Band. Still gigging 2-3 times a week.

Have five drum sets including a set of Slingerlands I bought in the early '60s and my favorites, a new set of Gretsch Renowns.

Sorry I'm not a traditional rock musician, but my " career" predates that. :(

[URL="http://YouTube.com/watch?v=Sd9hknaygEA[/URL]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  25. Guitar player here... Been with my current band going on 10 years playing in So Cal.
    I use an assortment of guitars( Gibson SG, Strat, Tele) thru a Fender Super Reverb...

26. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah! I play a little.

27. fomoco31

fomoco31

Giggin' at Huntsville? I use to work at the Target Distribution Center there in Madison.

28. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

I saw Los Straitjackets perform in The American Music Festival at Fitzgeralds in Berwyn, IL quite a few years ago...what a blast!

29. jipp

jipp

hey great birthday gift. yeah southpaws have to wait and pay more for there toys.. :(
    i just gave my sisters kid his first guitar for his 1st birthday :) im sure my sis will hate me come Christmas when i give him his first amp.
    iv been noodling since i was about 15. as for guitar, i seem to favor my old deans ML's from the 80s.. yeah dimebag was a huge influence..

blues, rock,metal.. its all good. i did injure my finger so i hope ill be jammin soon.

rock on.
    chris.

30. rodl

rodl

I've been listening to Wanda for about 50 years, been to several concerts here in Oz in recent years and she still sounds great! Also happened onto Deke just a couple of years ago when I bought a CD of Jimmy Lee Fautheree (was Jimmy & Johnny in the 50's) Deke & band are backing him up - awesome RaB and Hillbilly Boogie - haven't heard of those other artists but if they're in the same vein, you're keeping good company -Rock On.:cool:
    ps Can't get over the number of 'rodders who play jazz - when I was younger Jazz, MG's & Triumphs were synonymous:eek:, as was rock n roll and rods!:rolleyes:
    Recently got an Epiphone ES295,Beautiful tone, but oldtimers & arthritis don't help with the sound!!:D