Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Any HAMBERS in trouble with West Coast storms?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirty old man, Feb 18, 2017.

1. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I guess you could call the heavy rain and consequent flooding on the WestCoast an event from the way it looked on TV news today.
    Just hoping all our people are OK and haven't had any damage or severe problems. Sure looks bad on TV.

2. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

lots of rain and flooding in some areas-was too wet here to go to Sac autorama for many I know of.

3. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

I agree 100%. One of my brothers lives in Groveland which is just outside Yosemite National Park. He said the little creek in the woods behind his house has turned into a river but at an elevation of 2500 feet he's not worried about any flooding there. I hope that damn dam in Oroville holds or there will be massive problems up in that area 70 miles north of Sacramento. The PGA golf tournament is in Pacific Palisades (near LA) this week and they've had a lot of rain there. Hopefully it will slack off soon since I think most or all of the reservoirs are full now....

jcmarz likes this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Biggest problem for many is mud slides blocking the roads. Had the main east-west route =I 90 blocked by one yesterday.
    An internet AD truck bud in Cali was blocked in by a mud slide on one end of the road and water over the road on the other side for a few days.
    I live on one of the Major north-south highways in the state in Central wa and we have had either snow or freezing rain with the ground being covered with snow here since Dec 8. I might finally be able to dig my way out to the van I have my flathead stored in to take some close ups of the trans adapter for one of the guys on here as the snow has finally melted enough to be able to dig my way around there.
    Main thing is that before you take off to go anywhere you check the weather report and check the check the road reports before you leave. Right now getting out my 400 ft driveway is an accomplishment with the mess it is in.

5. My sis is in Santa Rosa, we just spoke last night and she says that things are wet but fine up her way.

6. metalman

metalman

My oldest daughter and friend are traveling from Redding back to Albuquerque in a rental truck, left Redding this morning. Hope they don't have any issues, being from NM she's not use to heavy rain.

stillrunners and iwanaflattie like this.
  7. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Yep,in some places it is"Too thin to plow,and too thick to drink".Wishing all the best to our West coast buddies.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

Speedwrench likes this.
  8. The Oroville dam is about 30 miles northwest of us. At last report the water level had receded 40 feet overnight so that is looking better.The worst of the rain is due Sunday and Monday with flooding, slides, and downed trees all in the offing. Luckily, I finished building my ark just this morning.
    For more stories and videos try www.yubanet.com.

9. Special Ed

Special Ed

It didn't develop into much of anything down here in the San Diego area, but then an inch of rain over a week's period of time is considered headline news here. :cool:
    [​IMG]

chop job likes this.
  10. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

1-1/2" here in Pacific Beach....however Mission Blvd. was running with as much as 18" of water

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  11. We bitch about too much heat, then we bitch about too much rain, but- when the ground starts shakin' out here, that's when I start...........:eek:

12. Here near Burbank it rained long, hard, and big winds. I ran a couple errands in the morning when it was just a mist and parked it for the rest of the day. Lots of mudslides and huge road closures. No media exaggerating this time!!! It was dumping!!

stillrunners and Stogy like this.
  13. mopacltd

mopacltd

Same here in the mountains of Arizona

14. CoolYourJets

CoolYourJets

It rained crazy hard for a couple hours. Next door neighbors' tree fell on their house.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now we have 25' waves. This pic was about 20 minutes ago...
    [​IMG]

15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

keep the political stuff off here, unless you want thread shut down!!
    I am in the Stockton, CA area - yesterday had winds around 50MPH that caused the power transformer for my house to make a very loud bang with flashing white sparks shooting out of top, 3 times. wind took down some 20 ft eucalyptus tree branches, and lots of smaller limbs down on property. at times very strong rain. stronger storm coming Monday. was going to try & make it to the Sacramento Autorama today. but, with tree problems and dealing with a death grip cold was not in the cards.

Texas57, Stogy and gimpyshotrods like this.
  16. deucemac

deucemac

Where I live the altitude is 4400 feet. We have two roads for access. One goes through the valley just below us and is under water. Since the road is blocked off I can't tell you how deep but I can see a couple of Caltrans big trucks with water over the bumpers. That leaves a mountain road from the next valley over. I came home that way yesterday and it was marginal at best. Lots of slides and wash outs. Right now it is raining like a Midwest storm when I was a kid in Illinois. SO, I may just be at home for a while. The good thing is that we are on relatively high ground we will just hope, pray, and stay inside until things let up. Between the roadster, my midget, and El Camino I can stay busy if power and parts hold out.

17. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My grandson is in Northwest Linemans College in Oroville and had to evacuate last week. In trying to put my 56 back together and need my garage door open, lucky it faces north. All I know is it's good for
    El Mirage dry lake to make it hard and flat....

18. toml24

toml24

From Manhattan Beach, CA.: We had a sizable branch from a 65+ year old tree break off during the late night down pour and miss the front of my car by 5-feet. When it hit the side walk the branch broke into dozens of pieces tree shrapnel. Upon inspection the branch had been dead for a very long time. Most of the original trees on our block have just about reached their life span.

19. bchctybob

bchctybob

We are about 30-35 miles east of Lodi, Ca and it's been raining off and on for it seems like weeks. The worst thing is the wind for us. We are up on a bluff and the winds gust mighty hard up here. We've lost 3 trees so far and the shingles on the windy side of my shop are starting to give up and evacuate to the less windy side. That's made for some new leaks for me to fix when things calm down. We've had sporadic power failures and the roads have been closed from occasional flooding and fallen trees. Forget about keeping a tarp on anything.
    The truth is, this area is at it's most beautiful when it's been raining a bunch; the lakes and ponds are full, creeks rushing along and everything is green instead of the usual crappy, dry, California brown. Anyone crying about this weather (with the exception of the Orovillians) is a serious California lightweight, give me rain over fires anytime!
    You guys who get snowed in each year - you have my sympathy.

20. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Well the media sure the hell didn't make up the story of the evacuation of 200,000 people from the Oroville area south to Marysville and beyond. Like someone else said the next big one is coming in Monday. The evacuees not only had to deal with the stress of getting out, they also had to deal with the scumbag ripoffs.

Stogy likes this.
  21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I am having to take detours for roads washed out, blocked by fallen trees, or under 3'-4' water.

The two levees that protect the main campus of my employer (32k employees on-site, max) have been weakened by erosion. There are several dozen other businesses there, too, as well as several thousand residences.

If they fail, folks could die, including me, and I will lose my job, if I don't.

Trust the media. This is the real deal. Just because it might not be happening where you are, doesn't mean it isn't happening.

We have had rainfall totals on the windward side of 6-12" inside of 24-hours.

I had to sandbag the entire backside of our building, so we didn't wake up in a lake.

Katuna and Stogy like this.
  22. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

Spot on, let's keep the hamb politics free.

23. My son Pete lives in Carlsbad Ca.
    Yesterday brought a little rain in the early morning hours but cleared up quickly.
    Last night when we called him to check he said it was mid 70's and he said he just returned from waking his dog and it turned into a beautiful day.
    A little concerned now with what today and tomorrow will bring.
    It's fairly flat and at sea level in his neighborhood, only 7 minutes walk to the beach.
    Keeping our fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  24. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-2-19_5-45-47.png
    Hello,

So Cal got drenched, but it is moving east as always. (AZ and NM) Sunny for now, but, look at the line up that is headed our way and the rest of the west coast. That groundhog had something up his sleeve when predicting the weather. Snow on his head for another month at least and rain for So Cal for the next month.

The ocean is brown, infected, and ugly for quite some time, so stay out of the water for now. So Cal flood waters eventually go out to the ocean, a vicious cycle... It rains on our heads, goes in the rivers & drains, out to the ocean, up into the sky, down on our heads again and again...

Jnaki

There were some crazy people out on the Seal Beach Pier getting blown sideways. Registered 50 mph in OC. Not too big in the wave department, though. Still shorts and sandals attire, so, maybe I won’t have to water the yard until summer.

But, those up north still have a bunch of snow to worry about for a while. They are roughing it out for now. Stay safe... Skiing until mid July?

25. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Stay dry out there. Have a friend in cypress and she said it was flooded there. I guess the Derelict donuts and bobs big boy cruises wasn't that good this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thoughts are with you all facing Mother Natures wrath...It is never pleasant for those involved. She can throw some wicked curve balls.

Regards,
    Stogy

27. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Most of beach side North Orange County is flat land, an alluvial plain from back in the old days. It floods a lot. The drains clog because of so much water going out to the ocean. All along the Los Angeles River in Long Beach was once underwater back in the cowboy days. That is why our Westside LB house had such good soil to grow anything. Just throw out a seed, stomp on it and watch it grow fast. That topsoil was years in the making, but, it did flood all of the time. The LA river is called the LA Flood Control Channel and with those tall banks, the massive flooding is controlled somewhat. The result at the mouth of the river in the Long Beach Harbor is sickening.
    Jnaki
    Stay dry...

28. This is a 70 m.p.h. zone on I-5 but reduced speed is recommended. flood.jpg

Flatblack 31 likes this.
  29. metalman

metalman

Wow, must be rough in places, my daughter made it all the way to Modesto from Redding yesterday:eek:. So much for making it to Needles last night, going to make it tough to get here by tonight They are heading out again. Any advise I can give her about route to take? Are they going to be able to get over Tehachapi pass or will they need to head farther south before heading east?

30. deucemac

deucemac

So far hwy 58 is open and clear, but as I sit here typing this,heavy fog is moving in. She can check conditions at the Caltrans site to be sure.

Special Ed likes this.