Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Any firemen out there?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSig, Dec 9, 2012.

1. I've heard of guys emptying fire extinguishers before the fire was out. What is a recommended size and type of fire extinguisher to carry?
    JimSig

2. Not a fireman but have several hours of training. Worst mistake we make is the method we use to kill the fire. You must sweep the flames and keep the powder are the water low at the base of the fire. In our cars we don't have room for an extinguisher much bigger than a 2 1/2 pound DC. The little bit of training I have had told us to take a second and try to see the base of the fire. Aim at the base and sweep back and forth. This will allow the chemical to smother the fire.

3. Moonequipt13

Moonequipt13

4. tnich123

tnich123

I assume you are caring the fire extinguisher in your car? A 5 lb ABC should take care of most fires as long as you catch it early and know how to use the extinguisher. We teach the PASS method. Pull the pin aim the hose/nozzle toward the base of the fire squeeze the handle and sweep the fire at the base and always sweep the fire away from another combustible source. (away from any fuel source) :D

5. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

I think this thread brings out a very important point in that you need to know HOW to use your extinguisher. I'm retired now, but when I was working, we had annual company training on how to effectively use various types of fire extinguishers. And if not used properly, they may not be effective. Prior to my employment there, I had no clue whatsoever on using one, except "point & shoot", which is wrong. How many HAMBers have given thought about exactly HOW to use your fire extinguisher? Maybe viewing a few Youtube presentations on proper use and selection of a fire extinguisher would be worth your time. And maybe spare a hot rod from cremation.:eek: