Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any Distibutor Guys out there?! Need some help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krackerjack88, Nov 15, 2009.

1. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

350/400 combo in my 56 F100. Driving it around today and all of a sudden I hear this loud ticking noise that get's fasted when I accelerate. So pulled over and it's coming from the dizzy area. Anyone have an idea what it is? The truck is running fine just that noise all of a sudden. The tranny is brand new with about 500 miles on it or so. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  2. squirrel

squirrel

did the distributor cap hit the firewall?

3. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

Is it a ticking sound, or more of a snapping sound? Sounds like the cap might be cracked, or one of the wires might be shorting. Watch it run in the dark, and look for lil' lightnin' bolts

4. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Don't know why it would have... There is a nice spacing inbtween the two. Why do you ask?

5. squirrel

squirrel

not much to go on here, just grasping at straws....

6. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Got ya. Well anyone else have this happen?

7. check and make sure the torque converter bolts are tight since the sound is coming from rear of motor. cracked flexplate can make ticking noise also.

8. dartracer

dartracer

Loose converter or flex plate bolt?

9. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

That's what I was thinking. But it sounds like it is coming from the actual dizzy. Anything else it could be. No sparks jumping just checked it out.

10. Ruiner

Ruiner

My guess is loose bolts on the converter or flexplate, a dented inspection cover on the trans contacting the ring gear, or a cracked flexplate...possibly valvetrain related?...

11. Ruiner

Ruiner

Take the distributor cap off, maybe the rotor is loose and contacting the cap...

12. sdluck

sdluck

What kind of dist is it? If it is hei or some electronic you may have an open in a plug wire and it is arcing in the cap.

13. Sirweesarunch

Sirweesarunch

This just happended to me on my dodge wagon . 383 b motor , the dipstick somehow was hitting the crank .

14. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Just a stock dizzy. Points and all. Rotor is tight. It's like a hissing ticking. Not a vacuum leak i know for sure.

15. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Not the dipstick.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At the same time look for something loose inside the distributor. screws or one of the weights on the advance.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

17. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Well I did find red dust inside the dizzy cap. Does this mean something failed on it. Never seen it before.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  18. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Anyone else? Before I hit the hay?

19. sdluck

sdluck

Advance weight are dry take the weights off and clean them,then lube them where the make contact with the center stop and the pivots.

20. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can't add more about the ticking, but the red dust might be a dry rubbing block wearing against the dist. cam. Check for lube there. If it wore down enough, it might've changed your points setting. Good luck. - Rick

21. superbeeme

superbeeme
    from georgia

Red dust could be sign of bearing wear inside the dizzy, and would explain the sounds you are hearing. Pull the dizzy out and check it for wear. Thats my .02 worth. But "I just a man not a miracle worker"

22. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Been doing some research and they say the screeching(ticking, winding, whistling whateverit is I hear coming from the Dizzy) with the brownish red dust inside the cap is a sign of it starting to go out. Is this true?

23. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Anyone have the death screech happen to this before?

24. manyolcars

manyolcars

a tick may be an exhaust leak

25. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Yeah it's not an exhaust leak more of a spinning sound. Like I said sound like it spins faster when I accelerate.

26. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

the red dust i believe comes from spark bleading trough the rotor cap and grounding on the weights/dist shaft. If it goes on long enough it will cause the dist shaft to get stuck inside the part that rotates to advance the timing. Make sure you can turn the rotor cap a bit and that it springs back, then replace the rotor cap. This may or may not have anything to do with the noise though. I have heard a ticking noise coming from the dist area of the engine in my 38 coupe. It has an HEI also. Ive been driving it for 9 years and it either stopped or I just ignore it now. I'm gonna follow this post just to see if you find a sollution that I can try.

27. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Yeah the rotor and everything seems fine. I'm thinking it's the top bearing that spun out. But boy do I hate installing Dizzys so that's why i'm asking before I jump in it.

28. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Have a look at the advance weights. Maybe a spring came off one.?? Lippy

29. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Picture of the Advance weights anyone? Should i be able to lift the shaft by the rotor? Turn the rotor both way? When i turn it counter clockwise it starts to lift up also. Does that sound right?

30. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

K, the red dust is a sign that the rotor is shorting to ground.. Usually right under the center.. pull the rotor ( 2 screws and look at the back side, if you see any red dust under it...It's bad !
    To be safe change the rotor ( buy a good , heavy rotor ) the cheap ones are very light weight... Heavy = long life.
    Dave