Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Any date for T.R.O.G. west 2019?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill Rinaldi, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Date and location for TROG west 2019? Heard TROG in New Jersey will be moved to October.

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

D9F0052B-5691-4390-A2DD-9F9287344ACE.jpeg There ya go

3. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

is that on the sand ala original concept?

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is on a city street in Santa Barbara. Haven't you asked the same question before maybe a week or two ago and got pretty much the same answer?
    It is near impossible to stage an event like Trog on the the sand on the beach on the West coast because the tide schedule and tide height or low tide drop and length of when the tide is out just doesn't work well. By the time you get set up you don't have that much time to race before you have to think about putting things away before the tide comes back in. Tides there for that time frame are: As you can see low tide is at 0415 AM and high tide is at 1016 am not very conducive to racing on the sand that day. upload_2019-1-18_18-1-2.png

jnaki likes this.

5. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Thanks for the clarification, Mr 48. Yes I did ask the same question a month ago, all based on the premise that I might be able to get out to the west coast and be able to attend the same event as we attended in Wild Wood New Jersey in 2018. I became aware that the west coast event was not going to be run on the beach, but on a regular hard surface. All the scenario I saw about the last west coast TROG seemed to be based strictly on bad weather that weekend, I did not catch on to TIDE conditions being a major factor as to the difficulty of the event. I appreciate that you were able to shed a realistic light on the situation. Can tou tell me anything about Santa Barbara event? Being from the midwest I have no clue as to lay out, actual track facility, event participant parking, much less spectator parking, hotel/motel facilitys. Perhaps instagram, facebook, etc. may have more information, but I still rely mainly on the HAMB. Thanks again, Bill

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

There’s some info on Instagram but in general not a lot is out there. Maybe a member will pop into this thread or someone can post official website...

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

8. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Here is a HAMB TROG 2018-19 information thread that was from Nov 2018.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/trog-2019-santa-barbara.1130263/#post-12837225
    upload_2019-1-20_3-25-24.png SB Hilton Hotel Resort

The event will be right in front of the Santa Barbara Hilton Hotel. It is a nice place to stay, but for this event, probably packed to the rafters. There are plenty of places to stay within miles of the event location. Not all places charge an arm and a leg for a single room.

A simple but quaint place just up the freeway is the Coast Village Inn in Montecito. We have stayed here on numerous times from 1984 to 2004. If my finicky mother can say this Coast Village Inn is pretty nice, it passes all tests known to mankind. On the same corner property, a short walking distance away, is a very nice restaurant. Montecito is a fun place to visit and down the main road are some outstanding family dinner restaurants, located just before entrance to the freeway.

It does not cost $250, it is very clean, updated, and in a great location just south of the Hilton. It is a short drive (approx. 2 miles) on Cabrillo Blvd from Montecito. Once in place at this Hilton location, the main coastal beach road, Cabrillo Blvd, running East and West in front of the beach, will be closed, causing a massive detour. So, easy access will necessitate using those cool electric scooters or something of that nature. Even the very long, Phaeton limo, sightseeing, hot rods can get that close to the Hilton, unless it is in the back of the hotel area.

Santa Barbara is a great vacation location, despite the fires, mud slides and 101 freeway closures. (That is mostly in the winter months.) During the spring and summer, unless there is a massive fire, again, it is pretty nice to just hang out and enjoy some of the best in the West. By the way, this Hilton resort was once called the Fess Parker Hotel in its infancy. Fess Parker, none other than Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone from our little kid days!!!

Jnaki

This TROG Event will be something. We have been to numerous beach side events, hot rod shows, strolled countless times over the years, and have never seen this Cabrillo Blvd closed. So, it will be a first for us, if we decide to go to the event in March. We have gone from Bakersfield to Santa Barbara in a few hours of driving in a wide variety of So Cal road conditions.

One other thing, if anyone is going to the Famoso Dragstrip for the same days, it is only 167 miles to Santa Barbara, certainly doable in one day. (Or, it could be two days in Santa Barbara and the finals in Bakersfield on Sunday.) The first half of the drive from Bakersfield is dry/hot/smelly until you get into the So Cal coastal mountain range, then it is a winding, cool drive to the coast, ending up on the 101 Freeway in Carpenteria. From this intersection, it is a few miles North, to the Cabrillo Blvd. off ramp on the 101 Freeway.

If we had a choice of these two locations and events, despite the massive crowds at each place, there is no doubt. How could you not like being beach side in one of the most beautiful cities in So Cal? For the significant others tagging along, the shopping, dining and sightseeing is outstanding, just down the way on State Street, starting at the Stearns Wharf.

P.S.
    If you are looking for a great place to have breakfast in the Stearns Wharf –Harbor area, a must is the Breakwater Restaurant right next to the boats in the harbor. The atmosphere, the location, and the food are tremendously great. But, the parking might be a little intimidating.