Register now to get rid of these ads!

any cool tail light ideas for a 59 galaxie?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thechondro, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Just curious on if anybody has any ideas on different back up lenses than stock for a 59 galaxie? Not the 59 caddy lenses. What fits in these cars? I know there not really the most popular custom cars but I love em. Wanna change it up a little. and since a chop will be a bitch on this car.....Maybe I could give it a little change. Not just for change.

2. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

Find yourself a local glass artist and have them make you some one of a kind lenses.

3. 61TBird

61TBird

Put some Tbird lights in there!

This is my '61
    [​IMG]

this is a '63
    [​IMG]

4. injunjoes

injunjoes

on my brake light lenses i tunneled em in 2"s they fit almost flush with the body. it was a pain in the ass to say the least. as far as the reverse lenses i havent found anything to change that up but i havent looked hard either

5. Wheelie

Wheelie
    from Dallas

leave em! or do these!
    [​IMG]

6. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

When I was a kid back in the early/mid sixties most of the hodlums ran a taillight that was just a flat red cover in place of the stock lense. I don't know if they were a local fad or what, but to this day I think they make those late fifties cars look good.

7. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

8. some damn good ideas. Glass thing sounds like a great idea. Hey T-bird, nice work on the tunneling! looks saweet! do u have any pics of them with the lenses in? would kill to c that! My car is in the same exact stage as yours in the pic. minus front fenders and couple other things. Man, some funky lookin lights on that mid fifties tbird!:) Ive never seen those before belch. sounds cool!

9. definately lots of cool cars.Thanks low budget!

10. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

Just some quick ideas:
    63 Galaxie
    64 Galaxie
    60 Buick
    61 Olds 98
    56 Olds 98
    62-63 T bird
    61-64 Falcon
    62-64 Fairlane
    Custom Flat glass as described above

Also, ever thought of removing backup light and replacing with a cone tip?

Cool car. Show us what you decide to do.

11. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

Thought of one more idea. While in the local boneyard I saw some cool old lenses in a school bus from the fifties. They are about the same diameter as the 59 Ford and were red glass but best of all they say STOP on them. The ones I saw were cracked but maybe you could find a pair.

12. '59 Buicks are big and round, too.

13. DrJ

DrJ

Iv'e see them tunneled real deep using gallon? stainless steel restaurant steam table inserts.
    If you don't have or need the backup lights put radio antennas in the upper light opening.
    Don't put the exhaust up there because it's at an illegal height in most states and you don't need fix-it tickets on purpose...

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  14. def. got to check some of those cars out Steppin out. sounds like some good ones. I probably would leave the big brake lights but the white ones might have to go. I like the tunelling idea. ALOT! The cone tip always goes through my mind. but then id have to find another spot for the back ups. It might b a while till I get this done because im in bare metal at the moment. But I absolutely make notes of great ideas. and im gettin lots so. DRJ. I will definately be usin that stainless bowl thing. I heard that on here once before and totally forgot. Its now in the archives for future referance.

15. Thanks for the compliment steppin. That plymouth has got some nice tail lights in the pic. Cool car.

16. fleet-master

fleet-master

hey there thechondro, I'm not sure how much trouble your prepared to go to but on Rikster's site look under category 59 Ford custom cars....My Blue Heaven...VERY COOL car with a totally different taillight treatment that looks real good...Paul :D

17. Zombie57Ranchero

Zombie57Ranchero

Ive seen people run there exhaust through the top turn signals and when they'd shoot flames it looks crazy coming from up there...heres what i did with my tail lights on my 57 a while back

Attached Files:

18. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

This application is a lot different than yours but I'm posting it to give you an idea of what a glass artist can muster up.

Clear pyrex glass lenses and red bulbs. ($100.00 / pr)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It is difficult to see but there is at least two if not three colors of glass swirled together.($100.00 / pr)
    <!-- / message -->[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My friend has a little 27 T roadster (salt flats theme) with 1931 Chevrolet headlights the glass blower is making a set of bubble (areodynamic) lenses for 31 Chevy buckets. They should be back and on the car today JIT for the Pileup.