Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any companies still making Landau irons?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by montclaire, Jan 9, 2011.

1. montclaire

montclaire

Are there any companies still out there that produce a range of Landau irons?
    Thanks

2. Reindeer

Reindeer
    from Finland

If any help Model A Ford landau irons are in Mac's catalog and I believe most Ford parts suppliers sell those.

3. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

sure hope you're restoring an original car - landau irons on anything else go along with diamond-shaped back windows TV antennas and gangster leans....

4. montclaire

montclaire

I have the Mac's irons, they're listed as rough castings but they're more a 'suggestion' of a landau iron. They also too long and will have to be (skillfully) chopped/rewelded, and they aluminum, which adds more to the mix.

I could also try to find an original set of A irons, do the same thing, and have them rechromed (unless they're pot metal, don't know how well that would weld, thinking it won't). Expensive there as well.

Yes, they're going on a really original car and I aim to keep them. I have one original, and the twin is missing. I only know of five other examples out there, not including mine, so this is more of a preservation mission than a hot rod.

5. chaddilac

chaddilac

Looks like you need to start casting them!! Now is the time! :)

6. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

I'd think anyone who can run a metal cutting band saw or carbon arc torch & can weld "should " be able to build these!

If this is a really rare vehicle, you may be ''worm food " before one turns up.

Just a thought !

" Meanwhyle, back onboard The Tainted Pork "

7. montclaire

montclaire

Well they're different L and R, so I can't just copy the one I have.

I'm still looking locally for someone who can weld the aluminum and wants to take on the job, but it would be a lot easier if I could souce them instead.

8. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Try Mikes Model A Parts, he has some hard to find stuff

9. montclaire

montclaire

Does he have any off-brand stuff? This is for a 31 Willys, but I'll take a matching pair that fit the same length.

[​IMG]

10. 5window

5window