Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any Cadillac people out here?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greezy63, Mar 5, 2012.

1. greezy63

greezy63
    from So-Cal

Pix? stories? tips? cruises? swaps? cool stuff? anybody... anybody...

2. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Are you kidding...??? Did you do a search...??? (Yep, that's a dumb question)...!! Why do we even ask this when we know the OP didn't...!!!

Go here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=664246&highlight=cadillacs

Or here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329070&highlight=the+best+55+caddy+build

Or here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=674729&highlight=cadillacs

Or here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=610595&highlight=cadillacs

Or here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298882&highlight=cadillacs

Or here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=610595&highlight=cadillacs

Or any of several hundred threads...it's simple...see where it sez "Search this forum"...just put "Cadillac" in it, or any other Caddy words and you'd be surprised...

R-

3. greezy63

greezy63
    from So-Cal

check out my thread buddy ... not like i havent looked just wondering if anyone is currently talking ....going on cruises.... you know stuff like that. I have the last post on two of the cadillac forums as well. Good to see that someone is ready to throw a jab b4 even looking himself... and I thank you if any one of those links are ones I have not looked at.

4. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I go on cruises all the time...and your last post on the "Cadillac cruisers" was at 3:34, 10 minutes after I posted my list...

You asked for pix...there's plenty of them in those links...you asked for "stuff like that", there's plenty of "stuff" in those links.

Jabs...??? Well, you didn't say you did any kind of search...

FWIW, this is my build thread... http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329070&highlight=the+best+55+caddy+build

and please post a link to yours so I can check it out...!!!

R-

5. greezy63

greezy63
    from So-Cal

I just commented on yours I have the kid righ now couldent read it all. You did inspire me on the fire wall clean is the way to be. Im having some thoughts about my master cylinder and booster I have both set ups from my 63 and the doner 75. I just might run out of space on the fire wall if I install the lager booser from the 75. I already swapped the brakes so I'm thinking the larger piston in the newer master cylinder would help.

6. greezy63

greezy63
    from So-Cal

7. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

OK, so in spite of your 21 posts, you've been on the HAMB for a while...

I can't offer much in the way of help on your '63, but I can offer that there is a thermostat made especially for 500" engines that allows the heater to work more efficiently, altho I don't have that number in front of me right now.

As for your brakes, did you do discs...? The later booster would be better I'd bet, but you'll prolly need a proportioning valve if you went to discs...

As for my build thread, there's about 40 pages there, if you start back at the front...some day when you're not taking care of the kid, spend some time. Thanx for the compliment on the color...I run a 500" in mine and a B-O-P T-400, altho a 700R-4 would be a better choice, especially if gasoline is going to be $5.00 a gallon this summer..., oh, where is SGV...???

R-

8. greezy63

greezy63
    from So-Cal

Yes I went with the disc brakes in the front. I'm just gonna have to figure out some sort of good solution that's what makes it fun right. I'm in the saint gabriel valley pasadena area how about you?
    Code:

9. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

ColoRodo, suburb of Denver...

R-

10. greezy63

greezy63
    from So-Cal

I'm taking road grime off my block and heads right now. Walon Willie Cash and haggert on the box. Cheers!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  11. Fahlin Racing

Fahlin Racing
    from Ohio

What year is yours?

Mine is a 1976 De Ville in fairly good shape. I will try to get a pic up. I was given the car from my old neighbor, which I actually worked on it for him for a couple years prior. I was going to ask Terry (my neighbor) if he wanted to put some front bearings in it since the bearing cones were on the loose side. I walk in his home, he tells me to sit down at the table. I ask him whats up, he starts saying how what would you think about owning the Cadillac? Of course I said it woul be awsome!

He kept talking and said this, if you take it to car shows and keep it nice and waxed etc you can have it. My jaw hit the floor and I did not know how to react at that point in time. Since about a year ago he passed on, the other week I actually wore the Cadillac hat he had given to me and a set of dark aviators he would always wear when he drove the car to honor the guy I grew up with next door in my home state Minnesota. Brought back some memories.

Today, I can't entirely believe it happened. I guess nobody in the family wanted it, and I guess he knew I would have a ball with the car, and I did and will in the future as well. I haven't seen the car for two years because I can't transport all my vehicles and engines etc yet because of finances and not having a garage to put them in. It needs minor repairs like the rear quarters and the rust bubbling up the vinyl top. The big 500 runs nicely from what I remember and I believe there is 82,000 + miles on it. I can't remember exactly but its above 82,000 for sure.

My car club buddies would cruise to a place named Porky's on University Ave in St Paul MN which is now closed, they actually moved it and preserved the building which is good because I don't have a picture of the place yet and I want one so i can show my kids when they come around. Hastings MN has 'cruise-ins' I would go to as well as numerous car shows in the Twin Cities representing my car club.

I can't get enough of grease, paint and gears. Good thing my fiance likes cars lol.

12. Curly5759

Curly5759
    from Aridzona

2 of my 3 Cads. 41 Fastback 6127d with a 350/350, Camaro running gear. 59 Fleetwood, stock.
    The 3rd one is a 50 sedan waiting its turn as a mild rod.

Curly

Attached Files:

13. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

You better plan to set aside 2-3 hours for that one. Its a great thread and you'll find yourself reading it multiple times! :D

14. Rasmus

Rasmus
    from Las Vegas

15. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  16. E HANSEN13

E HANSEN13

Looking for some 1957 caddy hub caps pm if you want to sell them...
    Thank,ponyboy

17. INTMD8

INTMD8
    from Il.

Here's a Cadillac pic. (my fun jigsaw puzzle this afternoon)

[​IMG]

18. 61' Cad De Vill. Wish we could all gather and run over town with Some Special Cadillac Cruize!

19. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Hmm?? I don't know of any actual
    "Cadillac people"(!:eek:!) That'd be
    kind of 'cyborg-like' and a bit too
    bizarre to contemplate...even for
    here on the H.A.M.B!!!:)D) But
    there's lots of guys here, including
    myself, who own or have owned
    Cadillacs at one time or another!

Mart3406
    =============

20. I know Robin Williams was "Cadillac Man" in an ordinary 1990's movie,..
    but thats still not a Cadillac person.

I really like Cadillac's they make me smile,....not all of them just the one's I like.

21. DukeFarm76

DukeFarm76

I'm currrently working on a '51 Coupe De Ville. I bought it from a guy that got it about 10-15 years ago (he couldn't remember exactly). He had intentions of restoring it. It had pretty badly rotted fenders when he got it so he found some good ones. He got as far as pulling the old ones off and lost interest. It had sat in his barn since then and he finally decided to part with it. I picked it up from him for $400. I figure it will be a few years until I get it on the road. I only get to work on it a bit here and there after work and I need to watch my budget. Fortunately I can do the body and paint myself and I have a hell of a mechanic helping me out with the engine. I know the chrome and upholstery are going to blow my budget all to hell. My ultimate plan is for a mild custom.

22. greezy63

greezy63
    from So-Cal

Sweet ... that man gave you his 76 the 500 is a good motor keep it alive you can always transplant it. I was at the Pomona swap meet this weekend and saw a 40's ford with an old calillac power plant with three deuces.
    My dad always took me to the car shows and swap meets when I was younger it was always chevy this mustang that an occasional Impala SS... The day I saw a black early 70's Cadillac layed out on the ground I knew one day I would have one.
    All I can say is WOW there os some bad ass Cad's on here. I really have to finish reading "the best 55 cadillac" cuz that car is perfection and a ton of work. I think he almost put as much work in documenting it, you have to tip your hat to people who take the time to share this kind of awesomeness.
    :cool: anyone do the scarebird front disc brake swap on the 63 ... did you change the master cylinder? and what did you do about the booster? I am not opposed to cut the shaft and tapping the end to install the adjustment screw.... any advice

O to answer the thermostat thing. when I went to buy my 75 Sedan the guy said that it was overheating. I was doing some reading on here and I found that a common problem is that people treat the Cadillac big block like a Chevy big block. It is common to find Chevy parts on these motors. I took the Chevy thermostat out put the right Cadillac part in .... problem solved. I got this car for $650 57,777 on the odometer. I could not here one tick, squeek, exhaust leak, but it leaked from all over and had ten pounds of road grime on the block. I have pulled the drive train cleaned it painted it new freeze plugs new water pump and the rear sump oil pan is ready. The TH400 is waiting to get rebuilt I will have the 79 tail put on it and with any luck I might not have to do anything to the driveshaft.
    Any cool swap overs from the 75 to my 63 that I might miss? the trunk motor... windsheild washers ... how about the coined cadillac flip up trunk key ... just having some fun with it. keep em on the road!

23. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Thats funny Cam! :D I remember that silly movie.

24. Put a 500 in a 67 chevy 1/2 ton PU with 390 gears passing gear will make you piss your pants its scary fast.

25. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Dagmar" was Cadillac people.

[​IMG]

26. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

working on my 53,still needs interior $$$$$$

Attached Files:

27. Frank_Ice

Frank_Ice

Ive got 65 coupe deville and I love it!

28. E HANSEN13

E HANSEN13

I love cadillac's anything 64 and under..
    I have had a couple and them. Then got in hot rods
    but will allway be a custom guy.

29. I have 1936 Ford coupe with 1962 390 Cad mill, manual Chevy 4 speed, dual 2 bbl carbs and Hildebrant valve covers... in the making.

30. Why the attitude? They guy is asking for help. We are a dying breed...lets keep it together!