Register now to get rid of these ads!

any body differences between 28-29 A Tudors?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nailhead29A, Jan 12, 2013.

1. I know this has all been covered before, but I just could'nt find the answer I was looking for. Im building an A tudor, now I know its not really that important and the bodys are probably dead identical but im trying to determine just for my own peice of mind whether its a 28 or 29.
    I know roadsters dont have external door handles in 28 and the headlight lenses are different both years but I got this as a body only so that last fact aint much use to me. Apparently the early 28's had a park brake mounted through the sub rail as well beside the drivers seat? if this is correct was this carried over to the right hand drive cars as well?
    Thanks in advance.

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is often a production date stamped in the firewall above the bolt lip, that separates the upper and lower sections, toward the (U.S.) driver's side. Maybe 10mm up and 75mm in from the hood lip. It is not on all of them, and I have no idea about overseas (non-U.S.) stuff, but have a look.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  3. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

My 29 has a date stamped on the passenger side firewall part of the tank. I remember my pop saying there was something different about the early 28 fenders but I have no idea what it was....

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

That firewall date stamp is on the drivers side. You might get more details if you post this question on the Ford Barn. Bob

5. Early 28 sedans used bolts to attach the rear 1/4 corners to the back center panel [has the back glass in it] while late 28s and 29s [and 30-31 too] were riveted together. My 28 was bolted together.

6. We might have a winner there as my back panel is bolted.
    Thankyou.

7. I have a couple of As and they have the build date stamped on the firewall as described earlier.

8. prez

prez

hey barrelnose
    hope you have a great first visit to USA
    march meet,viva,roundup
    you deserve it mate !

9. Hey there Barrelnose, im over here working in your neck of the woods at the moment and I can tell ya its bloody hot, the thermometre hit 52 degrees C on thursday!!! A bit much from coming back from a christmas in cool old NZ.
    Im not heading back to NZ for 3 weeks,but I'll take your advice and double check the firewall but from memory there was no markings on it.

10. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

Hey Prez, tell us more about your '56 wagon. I've got one, mines a Fairlane style, I like those Customlines. Trade ya some cold (15 F) for a little heat!! Ha!

11. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

My '31 was bolted together so... not so sure about that.

12. steves29

steves29

The engine number is the registration number. If it was ever transplanted it doesnt work. A number on the floor sill can determine assembly plant. Methods of assembly may not have changed together in all plants, so that may not be totally accurate. If you can find the number stamped on the frame it originally matched the engine. Research the Fordbarn. A lot of interesting info. My A was assembled in Montreal. No number on the frame.

13. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

In hot rod terms, NO...

14. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

On 28's, at the rear there are 3 threaded holes ( lower left ) for the tail lite mount.
    On 29's the tail lite mounts to the rear fender.

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

If i'm not mistaken, the earliest of '28s The Ar has a slot in the left subrail for a drivers side parking brake.

16. Correct........

17. Cheers Prez!
    You working in the northwest aye Nailhead?Been @#$ Hot round Perth lately also.

18. Back up far enough and you have The AR designation indicates that it was one of the first Model A’s built, and the serial number (A4095) indicates that it was built in December 1927, the first new 1928 Model A came off the line on October 20, 1927.

There are differences between the Model AR and the A ,the AR has the handbrake located on the door side of the driver’s seat instead of in the middle of the car, different style clutch and different style generator often called the “banjo” style, wheel rims are a bit more narrow, and the steering wheel is red.

The "R" designated that the car had parts that were already obsolete,at least that is what I have been led to believe. HRP

19. x2 what P-Wood said.

20. Here's a early AR 28, built in 27, e brake pic. Also the early fenders where roundish at the inside curve of the fender compared to square. Other things as well but escape me at the moment.

Attached Files:

21. Nah, building a goldmine about 300kms east of Kalgoorlie, pretty much the middle of nowhere!!!

22. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

I've had a 28; 29; and 30..........all bolted. Stamped on firewall.