Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any Aussies know the Legality of AIRBAG SUSPENION in Queensland...Aus

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bobberash, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Bobberash

Bobberash
    from Brisbane

Does anybody know the legality of airbag suspenion in Queensdland :confused:

2. aussie56

aussie56
    from Australia

In the short of it they are not legal.

I had them in my 52 when I brought it in from the states but replaced them with a 4 link and coilovers.

Another thing to think of even if you put them in like heaps that do run them is your insurance, after spending a bucket load on my car last thing I want to do is be in an accident and not have it covered.

Below is the section from the guidelines:

Queensland Transport will not permit the fitting of replacement/additional air bag or hydraulic suspension systems to vehicles that allow the driver to raise and lower all or some corners of the vehicle for show purposes. Suspension replacements may be approved if:
    • they are a direct replacement or addition to the existing suspension;
    • they do not alter the ride height of the vehicle by more than one-third of
    suspension travel specified by the vehicle manufacturer;
    • they maintain regulated ground clearance requirements; and
    • the control of ride height meets strict conditions.

Cheers

Adam

3. Bobberash

Bobberash
    from Brisbane

Thanks Adam

The car I got coming over has 4 link with airbag and mustang IFS airbag , not to worried welding up some coil mounting plates for the 4 links but unsure if i will need to get a-arms to suit coilover set up ??

4. ehdave

ehdave

It might be worth your while reading through this to make sure the other modifications to your car are legal here, unfortunatly it doesn't cover air suspension

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/vsb_ncop.aspx

I recently heard that IF they will approve it (thats a big if) the car cannot "lay frame" when the suspensions fully lowered, it must automatically go to legal ride height once started and the controls have to be in the boot.

I'm not saying it is possible, its just what i was told recently and it really sounds like they are trying to ban it all together. I really wanted to bag the rear of my desoto to make it easier changing tyres (its damn near impossible on a lowered one).

Cheers
    Dave

5. aussie56

aussie56
    from Australia

What sort of car are you bringing over?

My car had the airbags with a 2 link set up but I bought a complete 4 link. I have mustang 2 front as well, all we did was weld on a cup to hold the bottom of the coil spring. I wanted to run coilovers on the front as well but they were just too long and the front would have been sitting in the sky.

I believe that there instances where you can run air bags, you must not alter any of the suspension, so you can't remove the springs etc and it must be self leveling so no front back side side stuff. But good luck finding an approved engineer that will pass it.

6. Bobberash

Bobberash
    from Brisbane

It's a 1950 hudson it's been c notched aswell but I can get around that ... I might start a new thread see if there and hamb engineers in Australia that can give the low down on what must be done for sel leveling and if they would pass it

7. Scumdog

Scumdog

Is there a restriction on 'C' notching over where you are?

I guess we're lucky here with air-bags as they're OK as far as the authorities are concerned.:cool:

8. Bobberash

Bobberash
    from Brisbane

Yeah its a no go but ill weld the frame back in and keep the notch a fuctional bracing over the frame rail.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  9. Bobberash

Bobberash
    from Brisbane

Sorry ..step notched . In fact the more I read abouth the major defect notices in qld for this mod and airbags this may be a case of a complete suspenion replacement

10. Airbags in traditional hot rods?

Oh my......

Rat

11. Scumdog

Scumdog

Next thing it'll be i-pods, automatic transmissons, electronic ignition and E85 gas...:rolleyes:

12. Smooth Customs

Smooth Customs

Air Bags and rego are the least of your problems, before you go any further look at the restrictions on importing modified cars into Australia.

13. Scumdog

Scumdog

You mean it gets WORSE??:eek:

14. Bobberash

Bobberash
    from Brisbane

Have a little faith ! I do

15. Avgas

Avgas

Get your Vehicle import approval document sorted before your ride ships, There have been some horendous stories from those who hav'nt Wayne

16. Smooth Customs

Smooth Customs

17. Bobberash

Bobberash
    from Brisbane

Agreed wayne .. It's in a holding yard untill the docs back everything's above board and I want to ensure its legal when registering I don't want no dramas when on the road

18. Bobberash

Bobberash
    from Brisbane

The department of infrastructure are back in office today so ill know in about 2 weeks either way

19. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Hope you have all your paperwork in order to import something modified like that.
    As for Air bags well I would be worried about what Customs people would do with it if you do not have your import papers in order. Start looking for a good Customs Agent / Broker that has knowledge on cars and worry about the Air Bags when you have it in your own garage.

20. ausbuick

ausbuick

.....what he said.....
    cheers Darren

21. ausbuick

ausbuick

What engine and tranny?
    I hope that your car will be all aired up and not on the ground.
    Customs don't like any mods at all...

22. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I got my PTB approved under the old guidelines, under the new guidelines NO WAY. I was one of the first to legally build a LHD rod and one of the last to legally have airbags?

23. ehdave

ehdave