Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any and all vets and patriots

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by honeyman, Dec 7, 2013.

1. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I've seen that and been there. Thanks.

3. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have been there--every American should visit this solemn site. People today have forgotten about or have little knowledge of Dec 7th 1941-God Bless all who served and those still serving.

4. What a fitting tribute for the survivors who's time on earth has come to a end wanted to be reunited with their fallen shipmates that paid the ultimate price so many years ago.

This type of dedication in life and in death is another reason these men are call "The Greatest Generation!" HRP

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MgE2KiPd3xg?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013

5. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HRP--well said

6. mt shasta steve

mt shasta steve

I'm a Viet Nam Veteran. I have never regretted serving, and that includes the 7 months in Valley Forge Army Hospital after being wounded for the third time. I applaud the fact that our society has finally started to honor those who served
    Steve

7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Was stationed at Hickam AFB in 1970, and went to the Arizona Memorial back then. I didn't realize that survivors remains were added to their shipmates, so thanks for posting this!

8. I have visited the Memorial. I have a 1st cousin that is entombed on the Arizona. It was tremendously moving for me.

9. Paul B

Paul B

10. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

God bless them and God bless the USA. It was fitting to see at Barnes and nobles today with my 4 year old a special section in the kids section with books on the world war. My kids will at least be taught to honor and respect all the American soldiers that have defended this country.

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

When my first ship pulled into Pearl, my friends and I had to ask, "What were they thinking?". The way everything was laid out, it's amazing that the casualties weren't worse than they were. A lot of lesson were learned that day. A lot of young men and women grew up quickly.

12. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

mt shasta steve I couldn't have said it better. As a vet (army 69-71) it is finally nice to have people do things for vets on Vererans day. Around here, there are free meals, breakfasts at various resturants, and one car wash gives free carwashes on Veterans Day. God Bless the USA

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've met a few of Pearl Harbor survivors over the years and their bond to their fellow shipmates who were lost that day never lessened over the years.

14. Very cool bit of info there. It's been a few years since I was at the Pearl Harbor site, but I don't recall knowing about these burials.
    One of my Grandpas regrets was his 4F health rating when he tried to join the military during WWII. He wasn't a vet, but still a member of that grand generation.

15. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Was there back in 96 visited the Arizona Memorial as a veteran it is a very special place. Our country today has no idea what those young men and women went through! They are referred to as the "GREATEST GENERATION"for a reason! We all owe our way of life and freedoms to those very brave people defending our country!

16. Visited the Arizona Memorial quite a few times when I was stationed in Hawaii. Visited once during the big annual ceremony when all the vets showed up from both sides, very unique experience!
    Also went several times when some of our Marines would choose to have their re-enlistment there.

Very somber being there, never failed to bring a tear to my eye.

I will never pass up the opportunity to shake hands with any veteran, especially a WWII vet. My granddad and both of his brothers served in WWII, grandpa in the Army in Europe, Rex in pacific in the USMC, and Williard in pacific in the Navy. Rex actually was on Marine Security Duty aboard the USS Yorktown (CV-5) when it was sank at Midway.

They are truly the greatest generation, and we have fewer of them every year...