Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Any 472 500 Cadillac Fans out there?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NAS Backyard, Jun 25, 2012.

1. NAS Backyard

NAS Backyard
    from Lodi CA

Hi, I am currently trying to decide what engine i want to put in my Olds someday . The original 394 is tired but running and starting great but living on borrowed time, surprisingly the Slim Jim transmission still works great. The radiator is shot and I'm currently thinking about an ebay aluminum to carry me thru til the next engine. I just pick up a complete 76 500 Cadillac 500 with Turbo 400 and 66K original miles on it. I also have a 70 500 thats apart but in really good shape. I also got the book on ebay about the Cad 472/500. I've heard pros and cons about using that engine. My Olds has the original 3:08 posi that is staying in the car. I was thinking someday I would like to pull a cool travel trailer and I thought bigger would be better. i also have Olds 425 and 455 std bore cores and cranks. The Pontiac stuff also needs done however i have a 428 currently in the machine shop slated for the Firebird but the machinist says it won't run like I want it to in front of that 3:08 in the Olds. I have plenty of time to decide but what ever it is i want it to be different, sorry no SBC's at this point. Anybody running those Cad engines? Thanks !

2. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

Go with the Cad. The '70 is the most powerful. After that they started with the smog stuff.

From Wikipedia:

For 1970 Cadillac fitted a crankshaft with a 4.304 in (109.3 mm) stroke, increasing total displacement on the engine to 500 cu in (8.2 L). At introduction it was rated at 400 hp (298 kW), SAE gross, and 550 lbf·ft (750 N·m) of torque. For 1971 compression was reduced from 10:1 to 8.5:1, the lowered compression ratio dropped the 500's gross output from 400 brake horsepower (300 kW) to 365 brake horsepower (272 kW), or 235 horsepower (175 kW) in the new SAE net ratings. By 1976, its final year, it had fallen to 190 horsepower (140 kW).

3. 73RR

73RR

CADILLAC!
    Although the 70 model had the best numbers, the 76 is no slouch and if it is in good running condition as you say then it is a no-brainer. In fact, give the 'great' gas available today, the 76 makes sense.

The 3.08 is a great gear to use so no changes there.

And, there is not a sbc made that can produce the low speed torque of a Cad.

You will, of course, have to do a swap thread with pics!

4. The 70 pistons and heads in the low mile block would make it for me. The '76 is OK for a cruiser but the '70s has a little higher compression.

I would not count the 394 out until I pulled it down for inspection it may go a long ways with rings and bearings. I do take donated orphane 394s in to my home for wayward engines by the way. :D

Anyway the big caddy is a good engine and makes lumps of torque. I would keep the 400 behind it if at all possibel they are good stout trannies as well.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012

5. willymakeit

willymakeit

I have one. Good motor. Couldn't even sell it cheap with headers. They are torque monster.

6. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

The BBC (Big Block Caddy) is a great engine. I had a 472 in a '41 Caddy limo. It pulled that land yacht around easily.

7. 73RR

73RR

This always amazes me. They are withing 50lbs or so of a sbc, not fat or extra long, have mountains of torque (thats the sticky goo that is seen oooozing off of the back tires) and in stock trim are very docile.
    Why don't die-hard gm guys automatically stuff them in their trucks????:confused:

Although I have a Chrysler only rule in my shop I freely admit to keeping at least one 472-500 and one Buick 455 on hand for the odd ball projects.

8. John T.

John T.

I used a 500 incher in my 67 Caddy, had a holley 750, cam & good ignition. It hauled the mail & a Hotrod!

Attached Files:

9. willymakeit

willymakeit

There was one here that was in a chevette, it was worked on but nothing special. I seem to recall times in the 10's. I bought the complete car for another project and was left with the motor.
    I may use it but I have enough sm. BKL. Ford stuff for what I'm working on.

10. I had a '72 Eldorado for awhile, that was after they began to lower compression. It would roast the front tires on the caddy and cruised like there was no tomorrow. I was never able to obtain a clear title to the cad so once the tags ran out we began parting it out.

The engine ended up in another OT car for awhile that belonged to a bucks down buddy. Then one day he showed up with an old rodded '34 Coupe. The Caddy went in with little problem. The only real problem we had was keeping the car glued to the ground.

They are good engines in that you don't really have to do much other than tune 'em and change the oil. The difference in torque alone outweighs the weight difference between one of them and a small block.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  11. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

Go with the 70 500 if you want alittle more punch than the 76 will give ya AND replace the cast intake with the Edelbrock Performer. The intake alone will add 15 more lbs of torque and 12?? hp.

12. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Here's mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

500" and a T-400...will run all day and nite...will pull anything...gas mileage suffers with a quadra-suck (14-16) but you don't have to worry about valve guides with unleaded since the Caddy blocks had a ton on nickel in them...lots of after-market parts are available also...I'm running headers on mine otherwise it's stock.

R-

13. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I had two of the '71 500's. They helped my '46 Military Dodge ride a little smoother..

14. outlaw256

outlaw256

we have a 472 in the shop floor. been there for awile. son says hes gonna put in in a 47 ford pu he has.took it out of a runnin 69 caddy. id love to find a runnin 500 or another 472 around close.anyone?

15. Macronan

Macronan

If you want a great gasoline fueled tow rig, the 500 is the best option in my opinion. I've used a 500/Turbo400 in three different trucks. A '50 Stude 2 ton dump truck turned car hauler, a '63 Chevy 3/4 ton junkyard cruiser, and an OT 1 ton tow rig. All were excellent setups.

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Nothing against the big cad, but why wouldn't you just use the 455 Olds you already have?

17. Gator

Gator

My '55, equipped with a '70 model 472.

[​IMG]

Just made the 600 mile round trip to the Road Rocket Rumble in Indy. Plenty of power and torque, hard parts are readily available although the 'performance' parts market is kinda limited. check out www.500cid.com/ for lots of good tech info.

18. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Cool motors especially with a Edelbrock performer intake.

But why not go with a Olds 455? Olds in an Olds....... There has been a good build up in car craft over the last few years.

19. NAS Backyard

NAS Backyard
    from Lodi CA

Thanks for all the great info! The cool part about the Cad engines was I only paid 200.00 each for them. The 70 is std bore re ringed by the guy who owned it back when all the work was done, it has the 10:1 pistons in it. The 76 is totally complete and the guy I bought it from pulled it from the original car and it was only 200.00. I got a a Pontiac 455 block for 200.00 but it was rusty and needs 4 sleeves. And as far as gas mileage goes, I was told these engines are capable of 18-20 mpg with a proper rebuilt and tuned Q-Jet. Cliff Ruggles has a great book out on Q Jets and he even rebuilds them but there a waiting list.
    76 Cad 500
    [​IMG]
    70 Cad 500
    [​IMG]

20. NAS Backyard

NAS Backyard
    from Lodi CA

Sorry about the big picture, I tried to edit it but can get to the edit button. As for the 455 Olds which would be ideal, I don't have 3 K right now to rebuild it to stock specs and I'm looking at another 1000-2000 to modify it the make more power. The Cad is a clean up and drop in.

21. beyondhelp

beyondhelp

Nice! I have a '68 DeVille Convertible with a 472 and another 472/400 from a 73 Calais sitting in the shop. Both just waiting for a little attention and $$ this winter.

22. Streight8

Streight8

I have one all built up and ready to drop into my 47 Buick Roadmaster Convertible.
    Very cost effective way to get big hp and torque without sacrificing reliablity. You should stick to the Turbo 400 in the bigger cars unless you want to spend $$$ for a built newer style trans.

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a 76 500 out of an ambulance that is going in my 71 GMC 3/4 ton sometime this fall after I get the box with wheels back together to drive to work on a daily basis.
    I don't mind the lower compression as the truck will run on regular when it's done and still be able to tow the boat or car trailer easily.

I can understand running what you have sitting in good shape rather than spending several thousand dollars to rebuild one of the Olds engines right now though.

24. 50 customcoupe

50 customcoupe

Hi Cadillac Fans, I have a '70 472 coupe DeVille and I love it, but I had the timing chain go out and will the motor was torn down---someone stole my water pump pulley-----anybody got an extra pulley for sale ??? Thanks, Ray... P.S. my other car is a '50 chevy coupe--mild custom....

25. Ramblur

Ramblur

26. 41hemi

41hemi

Here is a non hamb friendly car that I put a 1975 Cadillac 500 and 400 turbo in. Raced it in 2003-2004 at the GrassRoots Motorsports Challenge held at Gainesville Raceway. Turned a 13.99 with a bone stock engine! They are torque monsters!

Attached Files:

27. You'll be very pleased.

Rebuilt 500 in this;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Daily driver and project go-getter.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BloodyKnuckles

28. jaymann

jaymann

I've got a '76 500 with TH400 sitting on my shop floor just waiting for a project. I bought a '76 Coupe De ville for next to nothing and drove it till it rusted right out (damn thing was almost a convertible under the vinyl roof!)
    I'm considering replacing the weak 305TBI in my parts hauler GMC truck with the 500...or slapping it in my '56 Sedan De Ville ....too many projects, no focus!

29. NAS Backyard

NAS Backyard
    from Lodi CA

I have : 2 65 Olds BOP 400 turbos
    1-74 Olds BOP 400 turbo
    1-76 CAD 400 Turbo
    But I was really thinking of a 4 speed behind that Cad engine but not now.

30. Streight8

Streight8

You might need a buddy to help get that clutch down. I think you could do a heavy duty manual but with all that torque I don't know if it would be quicker or just more fun. I just couldn't justify an 8,000 dollar transmision behind a $4,000 engine for the type of driving I will do. I had to opt for the more manly B&M torque convertors to fall within the recommended guidlines for hp and weight as well. I thought I would maybe do an overdrive if I decided I really needed to save fuel.