Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any 3 phase electric guys on here?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Willy301, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Willy301

Willy301

2. This is what I have , quiet and has programable braking, speed control.
    I've had the static, rotary but the VFD is the way to go.

3. fabmancoe

fabmancoe

If you have a static unit and it is rated for your 5hp motor...hook it directly to your mill..you are loosing a ton of effiency going thru the 5hp motor...no question a rotary is better than a static unit but for 3/4hp will work fine if sized correctly....if you have to buy something other than what you have put a VFD on the mill and be done,plus you will get variable speed...you will like it alot. Good Luck

4. Willy301

Willy301

Thanks, again, I cannot tolerate the loss of power with the static...it is not even being considered as an option. I am looking at the VFDs and will see if I can get it going soon.

5. I'm in awe of the knowledge here....I don't understand electricity :eek:

(apologizing for the thread hijack in advance :eek:)

I've got a 3 phase problem,too, and the VFD is intriguing...
    I bought two 3 phase A/C units for my shop, a ten ton and a twelve ton...both are 440 3 phase....but I've been told by an "electrical engineer" that they won't work, as my place has 240 Delta 3 phase....:confused:

Opinion anybody??.....

6. Truckedup

Truckedup

3 phase delta is usually known as a "wild leg" service .It will power 240 volt three phase equipment just fine...except...The wild leg has 180 volts to ground...around here it's third phase as in left to right or top to bottom on the three main wires feeding the panel...usually colored orange...sometimes it may be the middle wire.... Your panel will have "skipped" spaces on the single 120 volt breakers so they aren't hooked up to the Wild Leg.Some three phase equipment with 120 volt controls inside will not like the "Wild leg",use caution when wiring up equipment....On to your AC...to power it as it sits ,if the motors have 9 leads under the Pecker Head,they can be rewired easily for 240 volt.If not you need an adequate transformer to generate 440 volts. This is expensive and should be done by a qualified tradesman.Or swap out the motors for 240 if possible,more money......Or sell them and buy the right stuff.

7. 9 leads.....pecker head....:eek:....lost again...:eek: You mean the number of wires going into the motors?
    Thanks for the help :) I have -0- in the units, and they are new(hail damage/insurance claim from an HVAC dealer)...new motors might be the trick:cool:
    Sorry for the hijack, fellas

8. Truckedup

Truckedup

On the motor itself there's a small junction box(pecker head) with a cover held on by a few screws.There will be nine small wires connected to the three bigger feed wires . Should also be a data plate on that motor with the HP,voltage,and wiring diagram.On some AC units this may be hard to see ant all that obvious to a non electrician....Most but not all are dual voltage rating..... Take a look ....

9. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Getting "fancy smancy?" I got a Guitar Crybaby Waa Waa pedal retrofitted with a 5k pot controlling a VFD w/twist locks to use on other tools too. Swap from the belt sander to the overhead helve hammer, big drill press, spinner... speed control just like my hot-rod.. gas to pass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz42GigXzfk

10. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

My old index mill has a 220 volt single phase motor in place of the original 3 phase unit, It has a hand made 1/2" adapter plate sandwiched between the motor and the case. It looks pretty simple to make(was on it when I got the mill)

11. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

I know this is old, but Willy did you get the situation fixed or do you still need help?