Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anvils, do you have one - or more?

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 28, 2019.

1. [​IMG]No, but thanks for sharing. I here ACME makes a good one.:rolleyes: lol. My grandad would tell me, { Boy, you could break up an Anvil } I'm not sure what ever happened to his anvil, so maybe I did.:confused:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    chevy57dude, biggeorge, SS327 and 2 others like this.
  2. dirty old man

dirty old man
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have an anvil that I bought about 55-60 years ago from an old retired farmer for about $5-10 IIRC. No name on it that I've ever noticed, and I'm guessing about 75-80#. It has the holes in the top on the end opposite the "horn". Gonna have to take a closer look, but I've also never noticed any sort of hard steel overlay on top as has been mentioned here.
    The edges down the sides are somewhat beaten down and rounded like most of those in this thread. Have often wondered about building these edge corners up with weld and then either carbide milling or grinding back sorta squaring up the edges. Was told on another forum once that ordinary mild steel mig welding wire would be OK to use, but with folks here talking about tool steel tops, I'm wondering about that.
    Your thoughts?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  3. Very nice stand for it. I have mine on the standard issue tree stump but I like this

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods

No wonder I cannot find an affordable one.

Truck64 likes this.
  5. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

went to an auction yesterday. guy had 10 for sale. highest bid was $1200. guy bought 2. rest went between $300-600 ea.

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods

We have a hoarder/collector issue out where I am.

They rarely come up for sale, in worthwhile condition. When they do, they are often upwards of $2,000.

I can buy a Bridgeport Series 1, with a decent DRO, and some tooling for what a Peter Wright goes for here.