Register now to get rid of these ads!

Antique Wall Washers

Discussion in '"The Antiquated" Classifieds' started by fleetside66, Jul 12, 2019.

1. fleetside66

fleetside66
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

City: Bethlehem

State: Pennsylvania
    Price: $150/pr.
    Here is a chance to own a unique pair of antique "wall washers" or "anchor plates." I have four of these, but I would like to sell them in pairs...$150 per pair.

Although there are many types of anchors or anchorages, according to the Dictionary of Architecture and Construction, an anchor plate specifically is a "wrought-iron clamp, of Flemish origin, on the exterior side of a brick building wall that is connected to the opposite wall by a steel tie-rod to prevent the two walls from spreading apart; these clamps were often in the shape of numerals indicating the year of construction, or letters representing the owner's initials, or were simply fanciful designs."

While most types of anchors are made of only steel, anchor plates might also contain malleable or cast iron. The exterior wall washer is most often made of a cast-iron star or a flat steel plate. My particular examples are old & have the distinct signs of being hand forged. You can see the hammer marks. They are beautifully crafted, substantial & straight. They are 43" long. They are in great shape & could probably be used for what they were intended for. However, if you are building a house or simply want to attach these to your walls for decorative purposes, they would make a bold statement. You see these pieces used in the old stone Pennsylvania German homes in my area. However, most of the ones you see are stars or simple generic plates. These are real "objets d'art," in comparison to those.... truly amazing pieces.

Although I live in a convenient area in the northeast corridor where they can readily be picked up, I will consider shipping these. Any questions, feel free to P.M. me or call at 610-730-2645.

IMG_2617.jpg IMG_2618.jpg IMG_2619.jpg

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019