Register now to get rid of these ads!

Antique Car Insurance - 1000 Mile Restriction?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Yutan Flash, Mar 16, 2013.

1. I'm trying to figure something out for a friend with a 40 year old OT car he just got. I've been trying to convince him to get antique plates and antique insurance for what will be a weekend cruiser. Funny thing is we both have State Farm, and his agent is telling him he won't be able to drive it more than 1000 miles a year. Typically 2000/year is what I've had. Did something change, or does State Farm offer other policies for antiques with different milege requirements? What am I missing here?

2. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

Tell them you only drive it 500 miles or less a year and will be fine with that policy! They don't know how much you drive it, they don't put a qualcomm on it or anything.

3. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

My State Farm policy is 6000 miles per year. Don't register it as an antique, that is the problem.

4. Okatoma cruiser

Okatoma cruiser
    from Ms

5. U-235

U-235

I have State Farm with insured policy for $250,000.00 and no milege restrictions...his agent is blowing smoke up his butt. Go to another agent.

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I've never had specialty car insurance with an "agent". An agent to me is just a salesman. I have had Grundy for several years. I don't change companies so I contacted them when through conversations with friends, I learned I was paying a lot more than my friends. Grundy has no mileage restrictions. I called them got a price saving me almost a 100 bucks a year sent in my pictures and got the insurance. I am an optimist and don't plan on a claim. I have heard good things about Grundy claims but I have no personal experience. I hope I never do. I believe I have saved quit a bit over the years. Personally I don't like to waste money.

7. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

Disconnect your speedo cable (like mine) and you never have to worry :D

8. State Farm insurance loves to get your money,,have a problem and all there rules change.

I use Grundy now. HRP

9. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

I agree, been there and then they cancel your policy.:eek:

10. henryj429

henryj429

I do 2,000 - 4,000 miles per year on my two rods. One is Grundy, the other is American family. No problems with either. I've had a claim with each (deer, Walmart parking lot) and got taken care of fine both times.

11. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

States have different laws/restrictions for antique-titled and antique-plated cars. Insurance companies set their policies based on State laws, so talking here about insurance can be mixing apples and oranges. That being said, there's usually a menu of coverage for you to choose from, such as mileage and liability limits.

For example, Pennsylvania restricts antiques to use for shows/parades and "occasional use" defined as not more than one day/week. I realize that it would be difficult for them to prove which "day" you choose to drive and that you could disconnect your odometer, etc. but a deal is a deal and if you choose to defraud the state and your insurance company you risk the consequences.

12. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Have had Hagerty for years no milage restrictions very easy to deal with including claims.

13. A great idea until you get a speeding ticket.

Charlie Stephens

14. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

That's great....until you ball it up, somebody gets hurt, and the insurance adjusters come and check the odometer and DENY coverage.

That would suck...and I guess it could in theory happen. :eek:

15. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The company that I had before always asked for a mileage statement at renewal time. My 32 speedo did not work and it was always a hassle to remember the mileage you used last year. I was well under their limit but I would never be able to prove it. I was afraid of them denying any claim because they would think that I was trying to defraud them. It was a PITA. I'm the honest guy that always gets caught. The swindlers get away with it.:D

16. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

Check out: Chubb, Grundy, Hagerty, CHROME/Anpac, American Collecters, Hagerty. Several have online premium calculators so you can easily compare. Prices vary, some are more hot rod or resto friendly. CHECK THE RESTRICTIONS. Chubb, who I'm with, has no mileage restriction, but it can't be daily driven and must be garaged.

17. chaddilac

chaddilac

My good buddy works for state farm and has a 69 chevelle and there is no mileage limit on his policy and it's pretty cheap, like $175 a year.

18. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

I've had Chubb in the past.

Excellent company when it comes to claims, especially MAJOR claims (I'm talking like six figure claims). Awesome. Love them. I even wrote them a thank-you letter I was soo pleased. Yeah, we paid a bit more, but my agent told me when he sold the policy to me that I would thank him forever if I ever had a claim...and he was right. 100%.

However, the moment the claim is finished, they WILL drop you.
    That being said, you will be glad you had them if you ever have a claim. But then plan on finding a new insurance company, which may not be soo easy.

19. historynw

historynw

Haggerty with 4 cars and no complaints. I even have the extra just in case I need a interstate tow. I do it all on line and they send an agent to drop by if I need it.

I needed an enclosed transport and they gave me recommendations. I got really expensive car transport service for much less than the those that advertise to my door.

20. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

I have a Gps unit to tell me how fast Im going, its more accurate than the speedo so I dont have to worry bout that, but If my 1957 speedo cable matched up to my 70's transmission, It would be hooked up. :D its been disconnected for over 5 years never had any problems with speeding tickets, and its my daily driver.

21. Fenders

Fenders

Speedometer? Odometer? Shit it's a hot rod, I have neither. And no requirement for such in Massachusetts inspection regulations.

(But thinking of using my GPS to tell me how fast I'm going....)

22. I've have good luck with Hagerty...

23. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

Don't use State farm if your car is regestered as an antique. Go to the antique insurance venders. I've had State farm for 50 years and they don't know how to deal with antiques. Every agent you talk to has a different answer. i get mine from JC Taylor.for the hotrods.