Register now to get rid of these ads!

anti freeze

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dorf, Jul 1, 2010.

1. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

this is a little otp but i need some expert info. a mechanic told me that gm anti freeze( dexcool) eats up your gaskets and in fact there was a class action lawsuit against them but now it is over. i have a gmc with this anti freeze but the owners manuel states that the warrenty will be breeched and it will cause problems if u change to regular anti freeze. any one up on this stuff?

2. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

The dex-cool works fine. The old green stuff works fine. The newer stuff is good for more miles/time. Other than that...run what's in the car.

3. butch27

butch27

I've also heard it gels up.

4. R Pope

R Pope

Any antifreeze will gel if its mixed too thick. Usually 50/50 is right.

5. Seem to recall reading that dexcool didn't tolerate aeration as well as the older coolants. It was a bit more critical that as much air as possible was purged from the cooling system when refilling. I guess that could explain some of the gelling concerns. The old and new stuff can be mixed, but it does defeat the longer lifespan of the dexcool.

6. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

The lawsuit was over a few years ago. I had a few hundred dollars out-of-pocket because the Dexcool cost me a new waterpump after my Olds was only a few years old. BUT the lawsuit only covered gaskets, engine malfunctions, etc., on certain Models.

You didn't state what Model you have, or, what year it is. Some are more prone than others. Mine is a '97 Olds LSS w% a Supercharger. The engine would have been covered, but not the waterpump that the Dexcool had to flow through to get to the engine ! (Sound familiar for "legal docs. ?)

Jonnie King