Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anti-bag 49-52 Chevy thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by matthew mcglothin, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Cruiser

Cruiser

Getting your car low the old school way is cool, then when you have the coin bag it for better results. You can be low, not on the ground and still be cool. Period customs from the '50's were not on the ground. If, they had bags back in the '50's we would have used them.

CRUISER :cool:

2. JVK54

JVK54

Daaaammmnnn, Slick Rick...that SUCKS!

3. JVK54

JVK54

Thanks Bro!...The proportions of the chop are 4" out of the A and B pillars and we moved the rear window forward about 3" and THEN laid it down..which was a huge PITA , but well worth all the extra work ..What I had in mind was what I imagined the design guys carved out of clay in 47 or 48 for the new Styline in 49..and then the engineers and beancounters told them" No waay..this is for businessmen who wear hats ..and they put thier kids in the back seat..You can't do that ..make the damn roof taller"...so we just returned the car to it's original graceful badassness..I swear this is what I was thinking..I dunno if it's true...but I sure want it to be!

4. cosmic12

cosmic12

Your car looks great! I can't really tell in the pics but did you radius the front wheel opening? I had the same vision sorta for my 52 but I only took 3"s A/B and layed the rear down, kinda wish I went 4"s but it is what it is now. I have 4" blocks on C.E. rear springs and 2"s dropped uprights and 2" raised controll arms with stock springs up front. Would really like another 1 to 2"s in the rear but I am kinda worried about the tires rubbing the openings in front and don't really want to radius them. Can't wait for the snow to go anyway so I can get it outside to see how it sets.

Attached Files:

5. JVK54

JVK54

No I didn't radius the wheel openings. BUT I do have to be careful running 225s..might go back to 205s....Funny, I had the whole chop measured and marked at 3 12"...and after staying up all night re-thinking it, remeasured everything to 4" the morning we were going to start cutting . For me...I'm glad I listened to my gut cause I really like how it all flows..it was really all about the A pillar curve-straight-curve ratio where I thought that 1/2" would make a difference.

6. Rexx

Rexx
    from Perth

Some awesome cars on here. Hoping to get one soon.

7. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Man I can't believe this thread is still goin! Good to see. There's some nice cars being posted up

8. cmarcus

cmarcus

So much inspiration is why!! After all, one of the best bodies out there.

I wanted to say - I am head over heels for your car Matt. That is literally everything I have wanted in my next car. Wish I could see it in person!! :D

9. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Thanks.Another hamber owns it now. "Caddy-o" from Amarillo . Yep I miss it but I get
    to see her in a couple of weeks at roundup😄

10. JVK54

JVK54

Matt, You really started something really good here..and thanks for your help on my build along the way. Guys like you who share enthusiasm , spirit and experience are what hot rodding is all about.

11. ugotd8

ugotd8
    from Denver

Here's my '54 before and after. Fatman uprights and 1-1/2 coil cut in front, 3" blocks in rear. Dropped it roughly 3-3/4" in the front and 3" in the back.

Nice little Sunday... :)

It's going to sit a bit higher when my WWWs get here from Diamondback. Currently has big-little 14s with approx. 24" diam. on front and 25" diam out back.

54-aaa.jpg
    54-fff.jpg

12. hudson hot rod

hudson hot rod

Looks good 8! Amazing what a little altitude adjustment can do! :cool:

13. cosmic12

cosmic12

I finally got a good day to get mine outside to stand back and look at it.
    4" blocks with CE springs in the rear, 2"CE uprights and 2" raise on the lower controll arms up front. Still need to add alotta parts so it should settle down just a bit more I hope. Would like about another inch in the rear.

Attached Files:

14. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

couple I took from this years Round Up

Attached Files:

15. gatoloco

gatoloco

I have cut coils in the front and 3inch blocks in the back on my Fleetline.http://[​IMG]

16. JVK54

JVK54

Love it!

17. cmarcus

cmarcus

For all those with 3" blocks in the rear, how many coils are you cutting out of the front?

18. Luke4554

Luke4554

I cut about 1.5" but I'd start w 3/4-1 coil first and see how you like it before diving too deep. Not all cars need 1.5 coils to drop way down

19. cmarcus

cmarcus

Thanks Luke! Hope we can meet up sometime at a Midwest car show at some point! Do you plan on going to any of the MI ones?

20. Luke4554

Luke4554

I still need to put some miles on the car before i drive too far away from home or a trailer with it. But i do want to get out and get to some shows this year for sure. Just havent built up much confidence with it yet on the 100 miles ive got after the build.

21. cmarcus

cmarcus

I totally get it! We shall see if I am even comfortable at that point as well! I am shooting for the Relix Riot in Hickory Corners, MI as my shakedown, but we will see!

22. cosmic12

cosmic12

Didn't cut mine I raised the lower controll arm spindle/upright mount 2"s and I put 2" dropped spindle/uprights on it and still have full travel with rack n pinion steering and 4"s of block in the rear with CE springs.

Attached Files:

23. DMacias

DMacias
    from So Cal

24. cmarcus

cmarcus

Love these wheel covers. What are the specifics? Are these from a truck?

25. cosmic12

cosmic12

What size tires are you running there? I need to find a smaller size for mine and they look perfect.

26. Sorry for bad quality,(I'm camera-less at the moment) But here's my 49, stock suspension.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. Sorry, I just read that you wanted stock but super-low. I jumped the gun when I saw you wanted 49-52 Chevy pics!

28. DMacias

DMacias
    from So Cal

Wheels are Black powder coated Smoothies from The WheelSmith, wheel cover's are '47-'53 Chevy truck that I had the lettering re-done in black and the tires are Coker WWW 165r/15

29. hudson hot rod

hudson hot rod

Ok finally got the '54 a little lower to the ground and just about where I want it. One coil out of the front and 3" blocks in the rear, can't go much lower if I want to run my lake pipes and have passengers in the back. Also did a carb rebuilt and put on the proper fat cables for the six volt and now it she starts as fast as you can hit the key and purrs like a kitten, I'm actually pretty impressed with how the 6 volt system is working.....:D

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1939298&stc=1&d=1369026167

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1939299&stc=1&d=1369026167

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1939300&stc=1&d=1369026167

Attached Files:

Summit_PG likes this.
  30. mcboomport

mcboomport

I know you said no MII front ends, but here is mine. Mustang II, cut a little over a coil, 2" drop spindles. The front cross member is an inch or so from the ground and scrapes everywhere.

The rear currently has 3-1/2" blocks. I am currently removing 2 leafs and adding 4" blocks.

I just purchased some 6.70 x 15 firestones, factory 50 caps, and am metal flaking my wheels. The tires are most likely going to rub in the front, so I may have to put stock MII springs back in the front to raise it up a bit.

Attached Files: